1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you tip furniture/appliance delivery guys?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by z33tec, Dec 29, 2009.

?

Do you tip furniture/appliance delivery guys?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2010.
  1. Yes.

27.7%
  2. Only if there was no delivery charge from the store.

21.5%
  3. No.

50.8%
  1. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Postal service yes. I give them a christmas present. pretty much the same ups, fedx, and mail carrier for the last 15 years. I give usually give them a thankyou/Christmas cards with 20 dollars. I guess that is technically a tip!!

2. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    So what if they are working that "shitty" job to get through school?

Anyway, Never had anything delivered.
    And it would depend on the amount of work they do.

3. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    If there's a delivery fee, you paid for it there. If you didn't, it was included in the markup on the product you bought. The money to pay these people their wages and benefits does not form out of thin air. It's included somewhere in your purchase.

See my previous post about dropped on your porch vs brought inside. How much the delivery people are expected to do is a meeting in the middle of reasonable people. As long as the item is in my home, I'm fine. I can move it where it needs to go and set it up myself. If the delivery guys offer to do so, I won't argue with them, and if they do a good job, I'm likely to purchase from their company again, ensuring their continued employment.

So correct me if I'm misinterpreting, but you feel like the tip encourages better services? Do you tip before or after?

Also, you feel if an employee has to put up with more shit on a regular basis (i.e. "not treated well") then that is more likely to merit a tip?

Once again, genuinely curious.

So you prefer to tip because delivery guys may be more hard up financially? Or is it purely based on the physical labor? I'm still trying to understand where you draw the line of tip/don't tip.

I worked fucking horrible jobs all through school and none of them were tipped jobs. I worked either part or full time through all of college and graduate school (depending on course schedule) and am of course contributing to College Foundation Inc's financial vitality by repaying my student loans with interest.

So what IF they're working that shitty job to get through school?

This makes me smile. Your post-people probably love you. And that's actually not a bad idea, now that I digest it...

4. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Actually I did tip my mail carrier this year.

They come down my private drive with my packages when they could just leave a slip in the mailbox by the road & they leave Simon a milkbone too.

IMO my postal carrier goes above in their customer service & I appreciate that.

5. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I don't tip the UPS guy and the mailman-The folks who bring large items- Like washers and dryers do get tipped because they involve knowing a little bit about how the stuff works or don't get tipped because they just drop it off and I move/install it.
    Their pay is a marginal portion of the amount you put out on the product..and you "continuing their employment" with your additional purchases is hardly a benefit to them...Your appreciation to them is abstract/moot when tho lose their job anyways even tho you keep buying that companies stuff. When I hand the dood 10 bucks and he can buy lunch or it goes into his christmas/vacation/kid college fund- That's concrete.

It does make the person a bit happier- the movers I've worked with get food and drinks while they work...and tipped according to how I see my stuff treated. The appliance guys etc get tipped when they are done. If you read my previous post- It encourages good will-be it for me or the next guy- Whatever.

And back to the Dentist thing- I don't get to pick my delivery guy- and trying to track him down if he breaks/steals/screws with someone/offends my wife or son is a pain in the ass. I get to pick my dentist...and I know where his office is if I take issue with him.

6. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I find people who dont tip, and argue about it have never worked a shitty job in their life. And were handed things their whole life. That;s why they can't relate, or justify tipping and find excuses not to tip.

That's my opinion, And you cannot change it.

7. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Now see, that helps. Thanks for hangin' in there with me. I don't agree on all points, but I understand your position.

Nah, your insurance company picks your dentist :devil:

8. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    SACTOWN

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    People give me crap but I usually tip the pizza delievery person 50-100%. I did it like 4 months in college and understand the crap they go threw

9. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

10. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Ehhh...Uncle Sam picks mine...but most folks get a couple names.

11. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I tip very generously to positions that are not paid min. wage or higher because the tips are expected to make up that portion of their income and a lot of people don't realize that.

I tip 30% for average service, 40% for good service, and 50 - 100% for excellent service, depending on how excellent.

I also recognize effort where it matters. Give you an example: Was eating with a (now ex) girlfriend at an Applebee's in Florida. Her order came out wrong. Waiter busted his ass to make it right, and her meal was comped. I tipped the waiter the comp amount plus what I would've tipped on the full bill so he wouldn't lose out, because everyone knows those comps come out of their pay - but he worked hard to make it right, and I appreciate that.

I guess my position is I tip in positions where it's expected when it's merited. I don't tip people just for doing their job - that's what their pay is for.

Sort of/mostly. The whole in-network/out-of-network situation in healthcare reimbursement is nuts. And I would know. But we digress.

So you call it like you see it?

12. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    REVHARD25

REVHARD25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    RUGGED TRAIL PACKAGE
    Tint on front windows. Dnx7120 kenwood. Rear tsb springs. Wet okoles seat covers UWS truck box Weathertech floor mats TSB floor mat hook grommets Satoshi grill AFE drop in filter Fumoto drain valve Bed mat
    YES ...i used to drive cross country in a moving truck..might i say this is not a fun life!! Tips help a great deal..movers are doing a tough job that you cant do yourself..Thats why you had to hire movers right? If it was easy everyone would do it on there own...So yes please Tip your movers...They have bills and family just like you...Just a little hint..tip your movers before they start the job and im sure they will use just a little more caution with your valuables

13. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    SACTOWN

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    Same people usually come to my house and I usually go to the same place and see me coming so I usually get good service. But dint get me wrong if I feel if the service is bad I won't hesitate not to gie a tip.

My grandfather on the other hand will "TIP" before dinner. I have seen him give anything from 20-100 depending on the resturant and hands down give Great 100% of the time!!

14. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    SACTOWN

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    Gets great service 100% of the time I mean

15. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    SACTOWN

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    in fact, I am in a limo right Now and will prob tip the driver about 40 dollars for about 2 hour drive!!

16. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    pretty much.....and depending on service at a restaurant.....they either get a good tip or mediocre....and if they are really shitty/fubar my order all up.....dont bring me a beer within a decent amount of time when i order it.........they get a shitty tip.

17. Dec 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Yeah...below average service gets below average tip, and no service (takes my order, drops off check, and does nothing else - no drink checks, no "everything ok", excessive wait times, etc.) gets no tip.

18. Dec 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    TimberT

TimberT Timberlicious

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DC
    N-fab Nerfs, Weathertech Liners, Bed Mat, Eibach Springs, AFE Pro Dry filter, Dog slobber
    I find people who rely on tips to make ends meet are dumb shits and deserve my pity - that's why I tip well.

19. Dec 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yep. in fact.....a while back..the wifey and i and a couple friends went to eat at an o'charleys close to us........waitress was super shitty.....brought out the wrong drinks......dropped our first order of food on the floor cause she was busy flapping her gums with some dude a few tables down from us...etc,etc.....i didnt give her jack shit......and i told the manager that due to the shittiness of the evening......we'd never be back there. 3 years later...still havent gone back. food there isnt that good anyway.:D

20. Dec 29, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

I'm not trying to change it. And I tip plenty. When it's deserved.

Consider this: Maybe some of us out there worked our asses off to get what we have, value what we have, understand that things must be earned in life, and expect things to be earned before we give them.

This.

Products Discussed in

To Top