Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Do you tip furniture/appliance delivery guys?

View Poll Results: Do you tip furniture/appliance delivery guys?
Yes. 18 27.69%
Only if there was no delivery charge from the store. 14 21.54%
No. 33 50.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
z33tec is on a distinguished road

z33tec's Tacoma Gallery
Do you tip furniture/appliance delivery guys?

The sonic thread made me think of this as I recently heard that you are supposed to tip these guys. I heard on the radio that they don't get paid much and it is a pretty tough job.

Although I would tend to agree, I would probably not tip them if the store already charged me a delivery fee. I recently got a refridgerator delivered from Home Depot and since it was free delivery, I tipped the guys (gave them a $20, so $10 bucks each.) They did a great job and it was a tight squeeze to get the new one in and the old one out. It was right before Christmas too and I was in the spirit.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i tip furniture delivery people.....cause i used to do it myself, and i know it can be a pita job and the pay certainly isnt great.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
Basically if it isn't something like a drop and go, and it requires extra time and grunt, then yes they deserve a tip. I feel that - only tip when they have gone a bit above what was agreed on. Even in resturants, you still have to work for a tip from me.

I work in the trades, and am occasionally given a tip, while it is a great gesture, I never expect it.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I tip. It just feels like the right thing to do. Those guys don't see any of the extra delivery fees a store may charge. I had two big items delivered recently and one was a huge refrigerator and the other was a couch that had to go upstairs and around a corner and into a bedroom. I was pleased with both deliveries so I tipped and it was good to see those guys happy when I gave them some money.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
I will offer them money and beer........................been in their shoes long time ago
Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
MenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud of

Name: Eric
MenaceAllen's Tacoma Gallery
Most definately, if you have ever worked this type of job you know it isn't glamorous by any means. People I know tip a bartender a buck for every beer they get, why not give a tip to someone lifting 100+ pounds and not damaging your house.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenaceAllen View Post
Most definately, if you have ever worked this type of job you know it isn't glamorous by any means. People I know tip a bartender a buck for every beer they get, why not give a tip to someone lifting 100+ pounds and not damaging your house.
definitely!!!

tipping a bartender good works in your favor as well....alot of times, they'll hook you up when ya come in.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Heck yeah I do!!! Just because they are getting paid doesnt mean you dont have to tip them out of generosity. Its like people that dont tip servers at restaurants!!! That crap pisses me off!!!! Yeah you do get a horrible one every once in a while but I know a handeful of servers that are great!!! Yet, some people still dont leave them tip!!! I look at it like this, whatever goes around, comes around!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Yes!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Usually yes. I've been there before with the manual labour and it's not fun. It takes it's toll on you. And when I used to get tips, it always gave me that sort of boost to keep going and it got me through the rough days.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Triple Option
Slotback will become famous soon enoughSlotback will become famous soon enough
Slotback's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. The least I can do is ensure that they get lunch or a post work 6 pack.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
RC51 is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
RC51's Tacoma Gallery
YES, I install cubicles and office furniture and yes it sucks. So tip big if you see me.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Generally no. My policy is that if you do not want to work a shitty job, you should take steps so that you don't have to. I don't tip the people working at Office Depot, the people at McDonald's, or my Wal-Mart cashier either. If you're paid hourly minimum wage or above, it's not a tipped position.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Yup- If they have to put in any sort of work beyond off the truck into the house then they'll get a little something.
Movers totally get tipped.
It's not a matter of generosity- It's a matter of these folks come in your house and move stuff around for you. If everyone treats them shitty because they have a shitty job in a service industry- Guess what...They are likely to be shitty service people. I'd rather drop a little bit of cash to build up a little good will...Either for me or for the next guy.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
No - i used to work at a furniture store and our guys were told not to accept tips from customers. instead they encouraged the customer to call the store and personally tell the manager that the guys had done a great job. usually that worked in their favor, the owners would get gift certificates for restaurants, etc to give out to the outstanding employees.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #16
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
It's not a matter of generosity- It's a matter of these folks come in your house and move stuff around for you.
Yeah...and I paid for that.

Quote:
If everyone treats them shitty because they have a shitty job in a service industry- Guess what...They are likely to be shitty service people. I'd rather drop a little bit of cash to build up a little good will...Either for me or for the next guy.
I don't treat them shitty. I just don't tip. I do thank them and tell them to have a good day.

Let's inverse your postulate: Where do you stop tipping? If you tip your furniture delivery guy but not your dentist, what if your dentist is unhappy? It's not easy rooting around in your smelly mouth all day y'know
Old 12-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #17

in this day and age.....a job is a job........no matter it be a walmart greeter, a furniture delivery guy, or a neurosurgeon. as for tipping furniture delivery people...look at it this way....they are delivery people...not "set the shit up in your house people".......so they could leave all your stuff in your yard and leave. not picking an argument...but tipping someone like that as opposed to not tipping a dentist is a whole different thing.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I tip everyone that delievers to me house
Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
in this day and age.....a job is a job........no matter it be a walmart greeter, a furniture delivery guy, or a neurosurgeon.
Exactly. I tip waitstaff and other persons that are NOT paid minimum wage or more hourly because those tips are supposed to make up the portion of their income that is not guaranteed...and I tip generously to those particular servicepersons, because a lot of people don't.

Quote:
as for tipping furniture delivery people...look at it this way....they are delivery people...not "set the shit up in your house people".......so they could leave all your stuff in your yard and leave.
Actually, it sort of does. It's understood that delivery means "in your house". It doesn't necessarily mean they have to set anything up. Technically, they could leave the shit on your lawn and leave. And how many appliance/furniture retailers would stay in business with that as a standard practice? And logically extending that, how many appliance/furniture deliverypersons would remain employed?

If the furniture people leave my new couch on the lawn and leave, I'm not buying from them again. In fact, I'm probably returning the shit and buying from somewhere else with the express agreement that my stuff will be delivered into my home. That's just capitalism. Furniture/appliance companies have had all these same thoughts, which is why tipping delivery guys is debatable and why your new washer gets trucked into your home and often hooked up upon delivery. It's just part of selling that product. If you (or anyone) doesn't want to deliver and set up without receiving a tip, they'll hire someone who will - college students, high schoolers, illegals...whoever. The service level may not be the same, but that's not a concern for the owner/shareholders/bean counters - maximizing profit is.

Quote:
not picking an argument...but tipping someone like that as opposed to not tipping a dentist is a whole different thing.
Explain how? Both are employed to perform a service. One happens to be physical labor, the other doesn't. Why does the more physical job merit a tip? Because it is unpleasant or hard? By that logic, janitors should be raking in tips, as should farmers.

I'm not picking a fight either, I'm just genuinely curious as to the reasoning behind this position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww0517 View Post
I tip everyone that delievers to me house
Postal Service?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #20
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Yeah...and I paid for that.

I don't treat them shitty. I just don't tip. I do thank them and tell them to have a good day.

Let's inverse your postulate: Where do you stop tipping? If you tip your furniture delivery guy but not your dentist, what if your dentist is unhappy? It's not easy rooting around in your smelly mouth all day y'know
Maybe you did pay for it...Maybe you didn't...You paid for the stuff to show up in one piece. Having it brought in, unboxed, moved into the right spot with a smile is a little extra.
You may not treat them shitty- but lots of folks take the "no tipping" thing to the extreme and treat them like dirt.

Doctors get treated pretty well in most cases and paid well in every case I know of...and they can be sued for screwing up. Plus they DON'T COME INTO MY HOUSE. That's really the part that I care about. If they are near my stuff, around my kid, working with my belongings...It's worth the extra 10 bucks to me.