1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whalehead N.C. (Outter Banks)...Vacation!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Janster, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mar 18, 2008 at 12:24 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Hey Gang,

Topic starter for the hell of it.... we're heading down to Whalehead on April 5th. We're staying in a huge house with my husbands entire family. It'll be fun - yet.....nevermind. :D

I've been to the Outter Banks a few times before but it's been a long time since the last time I was there. And even so, I was there during the heat of summer. We'll be driving down in our Acura MDX - and we might take it for a drive on the beach, gotta have some bragging rights that it actually went offroad (laugh).

What types of stuff is there to do down there? Outdoorsy stuff....things to see... etc. I really wanna go fishing for a day - Do you have any recommendations for charter fishing trips? Not necessarily looking for an expensive deal - just a day out with some rental gear, the water, and catch some fish.

Oh yeah...the last time I was there - we bought chicken legs and caught some crabs on the edge of some peer. That was FUNNY AS HELL and I'd like to do it again. But...... Are the crabs around that time of year?

Weather? Too cold to swim....Shorts? All pants and sweatshirt?

I'm excited! Can't wait to go!

2. Mar 18, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i need to know as well. i'm going to be headed to OBX in june....more specifically, corolla, nc.

3. Mar 18, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Awesome! I stayed there years ago.....

I can't wait! Especially to get away from this place I call work.:)

4. Mar 19, 2008 at 12:06 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
  5. Apr 11, 2008 at 4:53 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Vacation is almost over.... Weather was crappy all week , rain, cold (40's), & windy. Bought winter coats while we were down here. Made the best of it with the family (7 of us). Many trips to the hot tub and lots of champagne, beer, & margaritas! hehehee...
    Yesterday and today were the best yet - sunny & warm 65+ and we're finally able to get out on the beach and enjoy it!

Leaving tomorrow.... didn't get to do any fishing or crabbing. The folks haven't been out fishing in weeks because the weather & seas have been too rough.

Lots of tacomas out here...more older generations than the newer ones. Lots of lifted trucks with big fat wide tires (for sand). I even saw a couple lifted VANS too.

Saw a white 'newer generation' tacoma towing a trailer full of crab pots. A couple tacos driving on the beach too.

6. Apr 11, 2008 at 5:11 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Spring weather is always iffy on the east coast but you've found the perfect way to cope!

7. Apr 11, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Wind in the Outer Banks = EXCELLENT!!!

http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?page=instruction

It helps to have some experience with snowboarding, wakeboarding, or surfing, but these guys can get just about anybody up on the kiteboard in a day or two. I'll be back down there in August for a week of kiteboarding and surfing. :D

8. Apr 11, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Beautiful day today! Full sun & 70 degrees! Finally got some time on the beach! Got to ride with my brother-in-law in his Xterra along the beach up to the VA line.

It's pretty neat, they have HUGE houses for rent along the 4WD accesses (all sand, no pavement) and you gotta drive on the beach to get to your house. Saw one horse....munching on some grass in front of a beach house.
    :D

9. Apr 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM
    glassdoc

glassdoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring City, PA 19475
    Vehicle:
    04 DubCab 260,000 miles
    Stubbs Sliders, 2.5" lift, Ken-Mtn Bumpers, Leather Seats, AM/FM/CD/DVD & CB, IP Trans-Upgrade, (2) Trans Coolers, Synthetics Thru-out
    We stayed on Corova Beach in 06, it was awesome!! Except for using a 1/4 tank of gas every time you left the beach house to get back to the town/restaurants.. 30 minutes on the sand, 30-45 on the blacktop.. LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top