Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Philosophy

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Philosophy

Am I the only one interested in it here? Anybody major in it?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
lol ^^^^
Old 02-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
im taking a course in school right now. critical thinking is interesting
Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Am I the only one interested in it here? Anybody major in it?
Definitely not alone. I'm a Philosophy / History major. I decided to spend my time with it because I haven't come across another academic discipline that requires you to be as clear, careful, and fair with an argument than philosophy. The reading is difficult and arcane at times, it's not all good stuff, but I think there are a lot of important considerations you have to make in thinking and writing about philosophy.

It's been a little frustrating to hear people say "well what are you gonna do with that?!" ....but I think the best response is "what CAN'T I do with it?" It seems like most people that laugh at the idea of studying such an old tradition don't really know much about it, and I don't blame them - it's hard to classify. I mean, it's really one of the only disciplines in thought that constantly questions its own purpose and meaning - doesn't really know what it is (not the case with chemistry or political science, for example). Plus, in studying it, you're going to come across a lot of religious studies linguistics, ethics, political theory, the beginnings of psychology, gender issues, etc.

Anyway, props for putting this thread out there. It might be cool if we could get some discussions going , even if it's just about why we think philosophy is valuable in 2012, as it was in 330 bc.

Right now I'm working through Saint Augustin's Confessions but know Rousseau, Hume, Kant, Nietzsche, and Mill pretty well, and have yet to read into a lot of important people....

cheers.