1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota's stock

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tacovic, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Feb 4, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    tacovic

tacovic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    Toyota is going through some rough times right now and their stock is down quite a bit. I have a lot of faith in Toyota and I am sure they will bounce back. Anyone else thinking about dumping some money into their stock? I wish I would have put a bunch of money into ford when they were down. input?

2. Feb 4, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I agree though I don't know what a good price input would be for Toyota. These problems are temporary, unless you believe it's only the tip of the iceberg for their quality control.

I remember in hindsight looking at Ford and wondering if I should have bought some. At $1 per share, it seemed like a good buy but I felt they were doomed so I didn't.:facepalm:

3. Feb 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    If I knew how, I would most def be buying socks. they are the only company doing well right now. (other than the gas pedal issue, but they are fixing it)

so, insight on how I get into buying stock? haha

4. Feb 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    You just need to open an account with a broker (e.g. Charles Schwab, TdAmeritrade, eTrade, Scottrade). They all have a minimum deposit to open an account. Charles Schwab is $1000. I believe Scottrade will open an account with a minimum deposit of $500. Then you just use the brokerage site and order the stocks that you want for the price you want to buy them at (limit order) or just state that you want to buy the stock at the current going price (market order).

If someone fills your order, you'll own the stock. You can't buy more stock than there is money in your account so if you deposit $500 and you're trying to buy Toyota shares ($71 per share), you'll only be able to buy 6 shares (don't forget to include the trade fee).

Also, when you sell a stock, you'll have capital gains taxes due if you sell it for more than you bought it for so you'll have to keep track of the buy/sell price (most firms will send you buy/sell receipts and annual reports of buy/sell activity).

They all have different fees to buy/sell a stock as well and tutorials on what the different ways to buy a stock are (e.g. market orders, limit orders). Make sure you understand those before you begin trading.

5. Feb 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport

Wow, I didn't expect that, Thanks! I'll start doing some research.

6. Feb 4, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just noticed that you're a Canuck (the big flag in your sig was a clue)! You might look for sites that have a Canadian branch. Also, your tax laws are going to be different.

7. Feb 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    yea I figured I'd have to research a bit and figure it out here in canada

8. Feb 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Any clothing store should be able to help you out.;)

9. Feb 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    Klipp11

Klipp11 s3

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC 4x4 LB
    OME 885 coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 1.5" AAL, TC uca's, cab mount chop, 5000k HID heads and fogs, LED tails, satoshi GC w/ Hella 500's mounted behind it with 5000k HID upgrade, Extang solid tri-fold tonneau cover, Yakima roof rack, fog light anytime mod, disable a/c defrost mod
    hey rab,

every major bank has their investing affiliate, whether it's RBC, CIBC, TD, ScotiaBank, BMO, whatever. i use RBC Direct Investing myself, and it's super easy to buy stocks.

i actually bought my tacoma using money i made from stocks, they charge you $29 a trade whether it's buying or selling, then like somebody else said, you pay capital gains tax on whatever profit you make, but it's only taxed at 50% of your marginal tax rate.

blah blah blah

if you have any ?'s, just pm me and i'll run you through it. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top