Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Power tool kit help!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Power tool kit help!

Ok so I'm closing on a house today and I need some advice on some basic hand tools. I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff, so I don't want to buy some really crappy stuff, but at the same time I can't afford a $200 drill.

I've been looking at cordless stuff and notice the volts are all different. Are higher volts better than lower? IE 17.5V vs. 19.2V...

stuff I'm looking at:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ame=Combo+Kits

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Deck...bo-Kit/9714679

http://www.lowes.com/pd_36099-79992-...40_4294937087_

http://www.lowes.com/pd_39443-79992-...94937087_?No=0

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I would get an ABS sensor for a second gen first.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Out of all the kits you have listed, If it was me, I would be going with the porter-cable Lithium Ion kit. Although it costs more, you will be getting a much higher quality kit, and the batteries will last quite a bit longer than the NiCd. If you are one that will take care of your tools, they should last you quite a long time.

The higher the voltage, generally the more power you will be getting out of the same tool. You will also not need to work the tool quite as much to get the same result. 18v is now pretty much the industry standard. For commercial work you can even get 36v cordless stuff, but that would be pointless for your application. As for the Ryobi stuff, it will get the job done, but for how long? You get what you pay for, as with most things in life.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on what you plan on doing with your drill. The smaller volt drill tend to be lighter and easier to hold over a longer period of time but they dont have as much power or battery life as the larger volt drills. If you aren't going to use it that much then I would just suggest buying one of the cheaper drills...
Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
doug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of light

doug355r's Tacoma Gallery
I can tell you this...don't get the black and decker. I have one and it feels like a toy.

I would go with the Ryobi or the Craftsman
Old 02-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Personally, I would get an ABS sensor for a second gen first.
That's not what tax credits for buying a house are for. Besides, Scott and I have worked out a solution unless you know something I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Out of all the kits you have listed, If it was me, I would be going with the porter-cable Lithium Ion kit. Although it costs more, you will be getting a much higher quality kit, and the batteries will last quite a bit longer than the NiCd. If you are one that will take care of your tools, they should last you quite a long time.

The higher the voltage, generally the more power you will be getting out of the same tool. You will also not need to work the tool quite as much to get the same result. 18v is now pretty much the industry standard. For commercial work you can even get 36v cordless stuff, but that would be pointless for your application. As for the Ryobi stuff, it will get the job done, but for how long? You get what you pay for, as with most things in life.
Thanks SC, that helps out...like I said, I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff, I just don't want to buy something crappy but at the same time I don't need something that a home builder is going to use everyday.