Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

How to sell stuff on the web?

Old 02-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
How to sell stuff on the web?

Hello! I was wondering how to sell something on the web. I have several things like truck parts that i would like to sell, but i never could figure out how to receive the buyers payment? I see these things like google payment and paypal but not sure how to use them? Could someone be so kind as to help me out on this one. Please bare with me as i just got my first computer six months ago! thanks
Old 02-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
paypal
Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ok so i have to register with paypal? Then how does the money get into my account?
Do i have to give paypal my account number?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Paypal is like an online account that is linked to your actual bank account. To pay people, paypal withdraws money from your account and deposits it into the receivers paypal. The receiver then transfers that money to their account.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Yo homie, that my briefcase?
ColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to behold

Name: Geoff
ColdZeroBSP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
ok so i have to register with paypal? Then how does the money get into my account?
Do i have to give paypal my account number?
By web do you mean ebay? Ebay's the easiest way to get started selling anything online. Paypal is basically a mediator of funds between you and a buyer/seller. You create your Paypal account and associate a credit card with it. When you sell something and the buyer pays with paypal, your paypal account balance will go up. If you then buy something using paypal it will be deducted from your currency balance. If there's not enough funds in your paypal account then the remainder will go on your credit card. You can also link a checking account to your Paypal account if you don't want to use a credit card but I don't trust anyone else with my account number so I just use a cc.

Paypal will hold any balance for 21 days or until you receive feedback on an item that you sold. Once that happens the hold is released. Then you can either buy things online using your paypal acccount, have them send you a check (for a small fee), or get the Paypal debit card and use it where ever you want.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Dirty Trucker

ok thanks! so say i was to sell some tacoma parts on tw. if it sold today would i have to wait three weeks to use the money?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
** Just a warning for everyone who uses paypal/ebay **

I've been using Paypal/Ebay for 8-9 years now with no big problems and made thousands of bucks. About a month ago I sold an iphone on Ebay as I have done many times in the past and the buyer opened a claim the day that it arrived stating that the item was "significantly not as described". I started investigating and he stated that EVERYTHING was in the package that I sent EXCEPT the actual iphone itself. Original box, usb cord, power plug and all. I was 100% sure that I sent eveything including the phone.

Long story short... Paypal sided with the buyer and deducted $540 bucks out of my account and there was absolutely nothing that I could do about it. I couldn't prove that he took the phone out of the box nor could I prove that someone had stollen it along the way. His ebay feedback led me to believe that he did scam me though.

I was so furious that I called Paypal like 5 times. I was nice on the phone and explained that I had given them hundreds even thousands of dollars. They eventually refunded me $300 (which is what I asked for) but this was very uncommon. I read many reviews online regarding this type of issue and 95% of the time the seller will get zero back in cases where items are "significantly not as described".

So basically yeah, you can send someone something and they can claim not to get it and they will get 100% of their money back and you will be left with nothing. Paypal also told me that I'm 100% responsible for the item until it arrives in their hands. Even if it is stolen out of the package along the way and postal insurance will not cover this. This info is listed in their "Terms and Agreement".

Sorry this is so long. Just wanted to share my experience. Am I still using paypal?? Yes. I still probably would be even if they didn't give me a $300 refund. $300 is nothing compared to what I've made over the past 8-9 years. Yes it is a risk that I'm willing to take.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
When I sold more expensive items I always transferred the funds to my account and out of that account right away just in case someone pulled funny shit like that. Paypal is shady and I can't wait until google runs them in the ground. They deserve to be out of business.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph View Post
When I sold more expensive items I always transferred the funds to my account and out of that account right away just in case someone pulled funny shit like that. Paypal is shady and I can't wait until google runs them in the ground. They deserve to be out of business.
Still doesn't matter. I pulled the funds right when I got paid but paypal still deducted funds and I had a $540 negative balance in my account. They can and will do anything
Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
I'd just tell my bank it was an unauthorized withdraw.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Dirty Trucker

Hmm interesting
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
I need to change my name?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Dirty Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreme View Post
I need to change my name?

hahaha great minds think alike!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph View Post
I'd just tell my bank it was an unauthorized withdraw.
They took the money out of my paypal account and not my bank account so basically I had to come out of the hole $540 before I could make anymore money on Paypal. Just want to clarify that there was no way around it. I got screwed by paypal but it states in their terms and agreement that the seller is 100% responsible for the package until it arrives to the buyer so they got you by the nuts there! I'm lucky because I got the $300 refund but a refund in that situation is very uncommon.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Addicted to V8s

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
Man...that sucks. I've always loathed paypal...they've been pathetic in protecting me as a buyer in my experiences. Had to fall back on my credit card to get my money back on times when stuff wasn't sent or was completely f'ed when I got it.