Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Cheap vs. Name brand HDMI cables?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
AlphaPlanner
thestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
thestrangebrew's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap vs. Name brand HDMI cables?

My wife hooked me up with a PS3 for my b-day, but she didn't get a bundled pack so I have to buy an HDMI cable, extra controller etc. Have any of you guys bought the cheap cables off of ebay? Or are HDMI cables one of those things you don't want to skimp on? I also found some cheap knock-off controllers on ebay that I'm thinking about getting, but once again, the same ?? name brand or knock-off? Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
I got a little combo pack that had an intercooler and hdmi cable and something else for like 25 bucks, check amazon or bestbuy. I haven't really noticed a difference and we have 3 ps3's in our house with 3 different cables they all look the same to me.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
The Best Buy employee told me that you don't want to skimp on HDMI cables; that being said, I can't say how valid that is... So I picked up 8' of Rocketfish cable from there for $30. I also got the name brand controller from Target for $35 on Black friday, and works like a charm.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
idk about the controllers cause I have PS3 ones. But the HDMI cables I have (6 in all) came from a website called monoprice.com. They were inexpensive and I feel do the job quite well. Unless you have a jumbotron with a Macintosh sound system, I doubt you will be able to see/hear any differences. $30-40 for a 6 ft hdmi is crazy!!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post
I got a little combo pack that had an intercooler and hdmi cable and something else for like 25 bucks, check amazon or bestbuy. I haven't really noticed a difference and we have 3 ps3's in our house with 3 different cables they all look the same to me.

Beware of his advice, he's probably using his 3 PS3's for government experiments!!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
1st Gen. Pride
only_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really nice

Name: Kevin
only_K's Tacoma Gallery
all HDMI cables are the same. all i use is cheap cables and they look perfect. about the controller, i would get the sony controller just so you can have the same feel to them.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by only_K View Post
all HDMI cables are the same. all i use is cheap cables and they look perfect. about the controller, i would get the sony controller just so you can have the same feel to them.
Exactly. Best Buy's products are ripoffs...buy cables from newegg or Amazon for decent prices.

Cabling costs at brick/mortar stores are ABSURD. That $30 HDMI cable? When I worked at Best Buy and had employee discount (cost + 5%) they ran me about $3.50. It's just ripping a new asshole in the consumer. Cable markup is usually 1000 to 1500%...no, that is not a typo. one THOUSAND to FIFTEEN HUNDRED percent.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. ^
Old 02-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Monster cable is even worse. That $110 cable set they ream you for when you get your TV? As an employee I could walk out with those things for around $12.

I haven't set foot in worst buy ever since I stopped working for them and don't plan to ever again. You can always find a BETTER product on the web for less money. Always.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Buy your cables from monprice.com it has the best hdmi prices...buying cables from bestbuy is like throwing your money away. You can buy 3ft hdmis for like 4 or 5 bucks. Never had an issue with one
Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
bamma is on a distinguished road

bamma's Tacoma Gallery
HDMI are digital cables, so they don't have loss like analog cables do. No need to buy expensive ones. Just make sure you get 1.3+ rated cables.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/
Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
best buy is rediculous with their hdmi cables. WAY overpriced imo. I went to Micro center and bought one for 15 bucks. it was in their gaming area. Works perfectly.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
I think I paid less than $10 with shipping (amazon) for my 6 foot and never had any problems with it!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
I got 3 HDMI cables on e-bay for $9. Compared the difference with monster cables and did not notice anything different. Pic quality and sound quality was the same. I have mine hooked up through a stereo reciever. Save your money and get the cheaper ones. IMO.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
I bought an 6' HDMI cable for my PS3 from Big Lots for $11. My mom bought me an 8' Monster HDMI cable for $50 when I got my Xbox 360. No difference whatsoever. It's not so much the video quality you're paying for but the quality of the cable. My $11 cable was just that... a cable. My Monster Cable seems to be much more well made and long lasting and it has some kind of warranty. That being said, I probably won't buy another expensive cable anytime soon.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i just bought 2 6' hdmi off ebay w/ shipping for under $6. i have it hooked up to my 360 and it looks just like a more expensive one i got years ago. if there even is any difference, its minute
Old 02-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
My brother bought a wii and bought some upgraded cables as well that BestBuy recommended................we plugged them in and then plugged in the cable that came with the wii and could not make out much of a difference.............returned those cables and saved 65.00...................
Old 02-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #18
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
My brother bought a wii and bought some upgraded cables as well that BestBuy recommended................we plugged them in and then plugged in the cable that came with the wii and could not make out much of a difference.............returned those cables and saved 65.00...................
thats b/c the wii only puts out a max of 480p w/ a standard of 480i....nowhere close to an HD resolution and not even hdmi....
Old 02-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
digital is digital...the cheap will work just as well as the expensive. if it was an analog signal the story might be different
Old 02-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
thats b/c the wii only puts out a max of 480p w/ a standard of 480i....nowhere close to an HD resolution and not even hdmi....

Ok.........you lost me @ 480p and 480i................my brother is into impulse buying and I'm the complete opposite..........all I know is that the latest flat screen I bought @ xmas is now an old model because it does not have the latest and greatest features............hell I am just glad I get a good pic.................