1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The watch thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by squad314, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Oct 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    Seiko makes some great decently priced pieces that come with rubber bands. The SKX007 for example, is an excellent piece that will last for years to come.

2. Oct 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
    flat black square fossil, and typical round gshock for work.

nothing crazy.

3. Oct 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Hmmm...makes sense.

Yea, Tag doesn't mess around. Last time I sent it in they replaced the crystal, replaced some of the bent links in the band, lubed it up, pressure tested it, extended the warranty 2 years (think it's only 1 year now), and cleaned the entire watch all for the cost of battery replacement. It was over $100, but I could care less for service like that. I wear it every single day regardless of what I am doing (working, kayaking, swimming, diving, skiing in -20*, etc.) and it has taken one hell of a beating over the years. Ill never buy another watch until this one implodes to the point it can not be fixed.

I feel naked now with no watch on... hope they get it back fast.

4. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    Greenpants

Greenpants Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 Tacoma 4 banger
    The tailgate mod
    The battey on my Tag usually lasts about five years. You must have set a record with your first battery. when you have a watch like that you want the seals done & pressure tested. Small money for great service on a very nice timepiece. I have always worn mine everyday. Way too nice to keep in a drawer . This is my second Formula 1 in twelve years .I had my first for many years & traded it in on a new one last year. Very tuff watches.
    [​IMG]

5. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    Greenpants

Greenpants Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 Tacoma 4 banger
    The tailgate mod
    Give Tag Heuer "Formula 1 "with the black rubber strap a look . tough watch ! You can probably pick one up on that auction site (Bay) for a price . Just make sure it from a dealer with a high feedback. There are lots of fake Tags on the market so beware.

Good Luck,
    greenpants...mike

6. Oct 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I heard you can call them and give them the serial number and they can check it... :notsure: if true

here's some good tips on spotting fake Tag's http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-spot-a-fake-Tag-Heuer-watch-/10000000015241644/g.html

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Oct 10, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    HUGE Citizen fan here. No battery required. :D

Honestly, IMO, there's no better watch for the money.

NO WAY I'm spending $6k on a watch you can get anywhere. Rolex spends HUGE amounts of money to keep YOU from knowing they make in excess of a million watches each year. To me that's NOT exclusivity. I'd consider a nice Tag in an automatic but if you're buying Quartz there's better watches for a lot less money.

8. Oct 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    Maximus

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    I have a Citizen Skyhawk in Ti...great watch filled with all kinds of useful features. My only complain was the scratch prone crystal and the useless bezel which lost most of its markings within the first year of ownership.

9. Oct 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    I've had no issues with the crystal in any of mine. And I tend to be a little rough on watches. The loss of markings sounds like a warranty issue. I'd send it in. 5 year warranty. The first I've heard of that issue. In fact, it's difficult to find many complaints about Citizen. I wasn't a fan as I prefer European watches but after owning one I've bought several more. I'm impressed w/ the build quality.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/support/service/united-states-five-year-limited-warranty/

10. Oct 10, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    Hey, just found this thread. I have a Wenger Swiss Military watch for sale if anybody is interested. Brand new, in case, never worn, still has protective stickers on the face and back.

11. Oct 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Seiko Diver for me. Mine has a rubber band, and I love it. Looks good, no battery, and tough. I use the dial all the time too.

12. Oct 10, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    Maximus

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    If anyone is interested, I have a promo code (not sure if one time use only) for 20% off $100+ watch sold and shipped by Amazon (max savings of $100). Let me know.

@05Aztacoma this is a good opportunity to purchase a nice Seiko diver.

13. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:01 PM
    05Aztacoma

05Aztacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks!
    Definitely a nice piece, but am not looking to spend that much at this time.

Thanks! This is one I would consider.

14. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Granted Citizen is a fantastic watch, "Better" is kinda general. I like my watches to be a little more "unique"......ones you don't readily see every day. Yeah, the Citizen and other watches that keep time based on the atomic clock, or whatever, will be more accurate than any automatic watch, but there is a certain "elegance" among other brands. My Ebel, for example, is only sold at 1 dealer in my state, and they had only 1 of the watch I bought. Its a "Certified" chronometer, and has been dead nuts on time for the last 10 months. And it looks much different than any other watch, when you look at the fine details. Similar with my Momo Designs watch. To me, its very unique, and I like the look. My first "Nice" watch was a citizen, and I bought it because of the same things I just mentioned. It was different, unique, and I liked it. whether or not its a good deal, or price, depends on the consumer. There is more to a watch than a name, and looking at the pics of the members watches, is a cool insight as to what styles they like in watch wear.......kind of a "window" into their personality..........

15. Oct 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM
    TSJESME

TSJESME Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD SPORT A/C 4X4 M/T
    Oh boy, Tacoma World is like a drug, pushing all my feel good buttons.
    I used to have a 120 piece collection. Sold of, gifted most of it in 2011, as we were considering a major relocation.
    I still have about 3 dozen. Tag, Angular Momentum, Corum, Jaques LeMan, Android, Junkers, Potger-Pietre, Sector, Lucien-Pickard, Chase-Durer, others.
    I'm not so much a brand collector, but a movement collector.
    I like automatic chronographs, and Swiss or Japanese automatics, mostly.
    I have some quartz oddities.
    Of all the fancy Swiss pieces I have, I have always set them off of my solar powered Seiko quartz. The Seiko solar quartz and the Citizen Eco-Drive are both top notch, and affordable.
    I was advised at the beginning of embarking on this hobby to not buy watches from companies that also manufacture underwear. In other words, don't fall for a designer name.
    I have seen the same time piece, usually Chinese in origin sold by multiple brands.
    At this time, still not a fan of Chinese movements, despite being 1/4 Chinese.
    They are just not there yet.
    So, still a minor collector, haven't made a purchase since I got married. She was not a fan.
    Especially when she found the insurance policy on them, and the art.
    She said I had way too much money, for too long, without adult supervision.
    She won't let me buy better tires, or an exhaust system for the Tacoma, either.
    C'est La Vie, Papa always has secret money.

16. Oct 10, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    P3Bubba

P3Bubba Well-Known Member

Member:
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport 4x4
    Breitling Professional, Omega X-33 speedmaster, Fortis B-42 are my nicest ones.

I've had a couple citizens, but the fact that they cheap out and use mineral crystals instead of sapphire in most of their watches kind of turned me off to them. They could probably get away with charging another 100-150 and really having a nice watch that didn't look like crap after a couple wears if they moved from a 'scratch resistant' mineral crystal to an actual sapphire crystal. If I could find a titanium solar citizen with a sapphire in it, I'd probably make it my every day wear watch.

Favorite? 80 dollar Casio G Shock Solar Atomic that my mom got me when I was a nub flight student - I've had it 9? years; I wear it surfing, snorkeling, fishing, flying, mowing the lawn...you get the idea. Not dressy at all, but when I'm bombing around in the bag it gets the job done.

It's circumnavigated the world with me and has never had a problem or needed a battery. Even has a nice light so I don't have to worry about the glow in the dark stuff running out.

17. Oct 10, 2014 at 10:31 PM
    Maximus

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    I completely agree. There are very few things worse than scratches on mineral crystal! It really cheapens the look of the watch. The scratches on my Skyhawk bug the hell out of me. Iv'e seen some people do a sapphire swap for theirs but the price is a bit steep.

18. Oct 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Atomic as well.
    http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=AT4010-50E

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=CA0265-59E

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=CA0020-56E

I'm surprised that the Skyhawks lack a sapphire crystal. My Blue Angels has a sapphire crystal yet Blue Angels version Skyhawk lacks it. And retails for more.

19. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    Maximus

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Looks like a Seiko?

20. Oct 11, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    ProPhaze777

ProPhaze777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yakima,wa
    Vehicle:
    '14 trd offroad black
    Gf bought me a nice citizen that I wear every now and then but my everyday watch that takes abuse and shows no signs of wear is my Casio G-Shock Mudman tough solar. If I was ever lost in the woods it is the one watch Id want to have on me out of the 8 watches I own.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top