Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Being charged to dial 911?!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Being charged to dial 911?!

People are soon to be charged a fee for having an emergency and needing to call 911...It just gets better all the time.

http://cbs13.com/local/tracy.911.calls.2.1502690.html

Quote:
TRACY, Calif.-Tracy residents will now have to pay every time they call 9-1-1 for a medical emergency.

But there are a couple of options. Residents can pay a $48 voluntary fee for the year which allows them to call 9-1-1 as many times as necessary.

Or, there's the option of not signing up for the annual fee. Instead, they will be charged $300 if they make a call for help.

"A $300 fee and you don't even want to be thinking about that when somebody is in need of assistance," said Tracy resident Greg Bidlack.

Residents will soon receive the form in the mail where they'll be able to make their selection. No date has been set for when the charges will go into effect.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
thats the most retardedest(yes, that word is pretty retarded) thing ive heard of!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
iForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to all
iForceTUNDRA's Tacoma Gallery
use a local payphone
Old 02-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iForceTUNDRA View Post
use a local payphone
Those still exist? And are there a lot of them scattered through out neighborhoods?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, just wow.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iForceTUNDRA View Post
use a local payphone
Good idea. But i bet they say "911 whats your credit card number"
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
it will not last 911 is a public service that is what your taxes is for.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i think this is the 2nd time ive seen this posted here...with that said...i dont think we have the whole story...i really doubt a town is just trying to arbitrarily charge for 911 calls

it may be that the city is mismanaged and now they need a way to fund the 911 center...those things dont just magically work for free...or it may be they have an insane amount of people calling 911 for things that arent an emergency

on a normal shift at work...i respond to 2-3 911 hangups...and theres 7 of us on a squad...

each time we have to respond somewhere because a 911 call is made and then hung up...thats time away from proactive police work

this may be the towns govt. trying to curtail false 911 calls...

personally im not going to jump on the bandwagon of crucifying the town just yet...

on top of that...go back and look at what you pay in taxes to your county/state...i bet a good bit more than $48/year comes out of your taxes to go to emergency services...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i think this is the 2nd time ive seen this posted here...with that said...i dont think we have the whole story...i really doubt a town is just trying to arbitrarily charge for 911 calls

it may be that the city is mismanaged and now they need a way to fund the 911 center...those things dont just magically work for free...or it may be they have an insane amount of people calling 911 for things that arent an emergency

on a normal shift at work...i respond to 2-3 911 hangups...and theres 7 of us on a squad...

each time we have to respond somewhere because a 911 call is made and then hung up...thats time away from proactive police work

this may be the towns govt. trying to curtail false 911 calls...

personally im not going to jump on the bandwagon of crucifying the town just yet...

on top of that...go back and look at what you pay in taxes to your county/state...i bet a good bit more than $48/year comes out of your taxes to go to emergency services...
No we don't know the whole story as the article didn't elaborate as to why this was being done.

If it is an attempt to curtail false calls it is going to affect the people that really need the service that are unable to pay for it.

You say you respond to 2-3 hang up calls, but how many actual phone calls do you respond to in a shift?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanTRD View Post
No we don't know the whole story as the article didn't elaborate as to why this was being done.

If it is an attempt to curtail false calls it is going to affect the people that really need the service that are unable to pay for it.

You say you respond to 2-3 hang up calls, but how many actual phone calls do you respond to in a shift?
a handful more...but not many...i end up writing MAYBE 3 reports a shift...4 is a busy day

$50 for a year of service is reasonable i feel IF they arent already supposed to be paying for it with taxes etc...the per call charge is kind of expensive...but in reality...the shortness of the story released will bring all kinds of upheaval from the masses...and the politicians will give in and the end result wont be as bad as the proposed plan now
Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
a handful more...but not many...i end up writing MAYBE 3 reports a shift...4 is a busy day

$50 for a year of service is reasonable i feel IF they arent already supposed to be paying for it with taxes etc...the per call charge is kind of expensive...but in reality...the shortness of the story released will bring all kinds of upheaval from the masses...and the politicians will give in and the end result wont be as bad as the proposed plan now
I agree, as soon as word gets out to the masses there will be all kinds of hell brought to whoever is in charge. Would be nice to know of any sort of follow up on it.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. Tag those fucking geriatrics for calling at 0300 for feeling "weird".

You're fucking rotting away, you just haven't given up the ghost yet.

Just DIE!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:33 AM   #13
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Awesome. Tag those fucking geriatrics for calling at 0300 for feeling "weird".

You're fucking rotting away, you just haven't given up the ghost yet.

Just DIE!
nm
Old 02-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno what you were going to write, but work the industry before you have something to say FYI for anyone else who is going to smash what I said.

I've been called out to take a woman to the hospital cause she had an appointment. Why didn't she take a taxi you ask? Well we asked the same thing. Her response was that because ambulances were covered by her insurance she didn't have to pay, so why pay $30 to take a taxi.

FUCK THAT! DIE!
Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I dunno what you were going to write, but work the industry before you have something to say FYI for anyone else who is going to smash what I said.

I've been called out to take a woman to the hospital cause she had an appointment. Why didn't she take a taxi you ask? Well we asked the same thing. Her response was that because ambulances were covered by her insurance she didn't have to pay, so why pay $30 to take a taxi.

FUCK THAT! DIE!
I'm fully aware that there is plenty of abuse of the system. I work in an ER. And as much as I would like to tax the stupid, if I actaully needed to call 911 but couldn't because I couldn't afford $300, I'd rather not die because someone decided they needed to add a fee to make a phone call.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #16
Firetech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ralph
Firetech's Tacoma Gallery
In Maryland we pay a dollar a month per phone number (including cell phones ) to support the 911 center.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #17
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetech View Post
In Maryland we pay a dollar a month per phone number (including cell phones ) to support the 911 center.
That's fair IMO. I would also think it is fair to charge a fee if the 911 call was deemed a non emergency (medical).
Old 02-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #18
kanelakos has a spectacular aura aboutkanelakos has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Prime BEEF Unit,DMAFB
kanelakos's Tacoma Gallery
As soon as someone dies because nobody called 911 for lack of funds, lawsuits will be everywhere.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:01 AM   #19
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
That's fair IMO. I would also think it is fair to charge a fee if the 911 call was deemed a non emergency (medical).
Especially if McDonald's is out of chicken nugget sauce.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #20
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
LMAO, it's to close a budget gap

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1423445.shtml?cat=565

Quote:
California city leaders say it was a split decision but they needed to find a way to close a $9-million budget gap.