1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

F-usps

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mws4ua, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua [OP] I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    [rant]

So I bought something from a guy on this board. He lives in southern CA (I'm in Birmingham, AL). I sent a money order in a plain 'ol white envelope on February 2nd. I figure my purchase would be in the mail on its way to me by the 8th or 10th, right?

NO... The money didn't show and didn't show and didn't show. I almost got another one to re-send (fortunately we weren't talking much money). Then FINALLY I got a message yesterday (February 20th!) that it had arrived.

It took EIGHTEEN DAYS for a letter to get from Birmingham, AL to southern CA. Am I the only one that thinks that's ridiculous?!?!?

[/rant]

FTR, the guy I bought from was very patient, and will soon be getting a good review in the "good folks to buy from" thread.

2. Feb 21, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    You obviously use the internet to chat on here try visiting Paypal.com and getting an account you can send money over the internet and leave the USPS to doing there job of sending care packages to our Troops overseas seems to be the only thing they are good for

3. Feb 21, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    ^ because paypal keeps a percentage for every transaction

paypal transactions are considered "reportable income".
    the occasional "gift" is OK, but too many and it raises flags

money order = cash

i have very good luck with the USPS.
    i too have had the occasional "didn't show" or "took forever", but is way more economical than anyone else

4. Feb 21, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    At least they turn a profit each year! oh wait...

5. Feb 21, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Any business public or private that delivers as many items as USPS or UPS, FedEx is going to have some lost or misdirected deliveries. The good news in your situation was it was not much money and both sides were patient, and in the end it finally showed up. I personally have had both horrible and great luck with all of them.

6. Feb 21, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    Free vs. Fees

In some cases, it’s free to Send Money. Sometimes there are fees. Here’s how it breaks down.
    Within the US (in USD):

Payment MethodSend MoneyReceive MoneyPersonal transfers to friends and family
    Fully funded by:
    • PayPal balance : Free
    • Bank account : Free
    Fully or partially funded with:
    • Credit card
    • Debit card
    • PayPal credit
    2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
    Fee is paid by the sender or recipient-sender

7. Feb 21, 2010 at 6:31 AM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    Therefore if you send money to someone listed as "Personal" you can send it to them and it is free to send and free to recieve aslong as you have your bank account set up on your pay pal. or use money in your pay pal balance.

and I mean shit if your making a big deal about 2.9% +$0.30 that isnt very much.

But if you use a Credit or Debit card the seller would take a hit of $3.20 on a $100 Item

8. Feb 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    sockmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    if something is being "purchased" you are not supposed to use "personal"

when you've done as many trans through paypal as i have as a vendor
    that % adds up!

9. Feb 21, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    sockmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    on a transaction of $4 that fee of 2.9% +$0.30 only nets you $3.58

10. Feb 21, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    More relevant in socks case would be repeated sales needing to be claimed on taxes as business revenue for the business he doesn't actually have.

FWIW, I ordered some books off Amazon, 2 of them shipped and were supposed to be here on the 19th. The other one shipped later and was supposed to be here on the 23rd. They all showed on the 19th. w00t.

Back when I used to play airsoft I ordered some harder to find spare parts and accessories direct from Hong Kong stores. Pricing was about the same as buying from the states just a larger selection and longer shipping times. It usually takes a good 2 weeks for smaller packages to make the trip. I ordered during the week and Saturday morning when I woke up I checked my tracking number to see if the package had cleared customs by the weekend. Status: Delivered. It was on my front steps at 8AM. Less than a week, from China. Thanks UPS.

11. Feb 21, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    sockmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
  12. Feb 21, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    In Socks Case I can understand but the OP makes it sounds like he was getting a one time deal off of someone from the site.

13. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua [OP] I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I have a paypal account and use it for most transactions. The seller in my case didn't have one and didn't want to set one up, which I respected. As the buyer, I pretty much need to do what the seller wants as far as getting him the money, right?

Usually, when buying some oddball thing on TW I send the money as a "personal gift" so that PayPal doesn't take their little piece.

14. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    That sucks.. that it took that long.. sounds like the jersey i ordered from nfl.com.. it made 4 trips from cinnicinati and back before it finally got to NC

15. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I have never had any problems with USPS. I have had problems with Paypal though. Wouldnt let the guy pull his money out of pay pal for two weeks or something like that. Sucks that it took so long for the money to get there. I still need to send a money order to Sock

Products Discussed in

To Top