1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got lectured by a cop...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blackhawke88, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 [OP] wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    So I pull into 7-11 as a cop is getting into his Tahoe cruiser. Seeing me pull up, he stops getting into his cruiser and waits for me to get out of my truck. As I get out, he asks me, "Are you the owner of this truck?"

I said, "Yes, sir."

Then he goes off on saying how he was off duty one day and, apparently, I cut him off, go driving off "like a jack ass", burn out "at least 6 times", and all this time, he was "following me".

I was really surprised because I do not drive like that. I might burn out once a week, but that is because I might be trying to get into traffic real quick and I drive stick. I love my taco too much to burn out 6 times in one drive. Second of all, I dont cut people off. If I do, it is because I really needed to get into that lane and it is my fault.

He then went off on saying that he could get me for how my tires stick out farther than my front fenders and that I am not running front plates. I am registered in Arizona, and the law is a Santa Clara, CA cop, so, technically, he cant get me for those things. He can get me for not changing my address within 10 days of moving, but I cant see myself registering a different form room every 10 months.

I know the cop was nice to let me off the technicalities, but I seriously think he was exaggerating my actions to intimidate me.

The whole time he lectured me, I just nodded and said "yes, sir, sorry sir" I didnt deny anything cuz I didnt want to piss him off. Any input? I know everyone down plays their bad driving, but I dont cut off people and then go burning out on a truck I spent most of my hard earned money modding :confused:

....PS the cop was at least 6'8" and weighed >250 lbs...needless to say, I was as obedient as a show dog :eek:

2. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Maybe it was a different long traveled SWB taco in Santa Clara. :D

Atleast you got off clean.

3. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
  4. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    Sounds like he was having a bad day. It also could have been someone else that did those things. But good call on not talking back.

5. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    wait, you burn out once a week? and you only cut people off if you really want to... glad your not on my streets.

6. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    He may have mistaken your truck for another, and perhaps he was having a bad day. I think you handled it just fine though.

7. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    Wing

Wing 2015 World Series Champions!

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TSS
    YELLOW LAMINEX FOGS K&N 63 SERIES CAI WINDOW FLARES STUBBY ANTENNA WEATHERTECH MATS
    Honestly, I think the police officer was being an ass and trying to intimidate you a bit. If you ever run into him again and he starts pestering you, I'd tell him that your truck isn't as conspicuous as you both had thought, then let him know that you went to a local "rally" and there was a couple of trucks almost identical to yours in color and build. If he starts giving you shit about how you drove in the past again, plainly ask if you are under arrest or getting any citations for said driving. If the answer is yes, ask to review the video footage his cruiser took of you driving. No evidence equals no proof. The size of the cop shouldn't have bothered you. The badge and pestering should have. BTW, make sure your ride is legit legally so you don't have to be subjected to their poking and proding of your build.

8. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:30 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Well man just be cautious when you drive now. Because if he is on duty and see's you he will definatly be watching you. Thats one thing that sucks about driving a truck that sticks out like that. He was probably exagerating when he said you peeled out 6 times. As far as not being able to get you for those things he probably can becuase you enrolled in school and it will show that you have been here for X amount of days and are technically a resident, then will get busted for not getting CA plates and what not. If the truck isnt in your name then just say you are borrowing it from whoevers name it is. But I would obey every law because even if it wasnt you that did all this to him, they are going to be looking for you, and it wont be hard to miss you.

9. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    blackhawke88

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    yea I schedule a burn out every week and I misinterpret your posts to meet my personal agenda too :D

10. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    maxboostcore

maxboostcore Well-Known Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    He then went off on saying that he could get me for how my tires stick out farther than my front fenders and that I am not running front plates. I am registered in Arizona, and the law is a Santa Clara, CA cop, so, technically, he cant get me for those things. He can get me for not changing my address within 10 days of moving, but I cant see myself registering a different form room every 10 months.

technically he can get you for those things. When your in CA you have to follow CA rules no matter where your registered. Changing your address after 10 days of moving is if your a sex offender in CA.;)

11. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    Wing

Wing 2015 World Series Champions!

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TSS
    YELLOW LAMINEX FOGS K&N 63 SERIES CAI WINDOW FLARES STUBBY ANTENNA WEATHERTECH MATS
    Not if he's paying out of state tuition.

12. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    But if he is going to school here and lives in the dorms he has to change his adress and register his vehicle. I had a guy I work with go through this. CA laws are pretty gay.

13. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:38 PM
    blackhawke88

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Yea, my AZ plates kinda have me worried about getting in trouble for not changing, but not a single person who goes to my university has changed their plates if they are out of state, and the majority of our school's population is from out of state.

also, he is actually the first cop I met here who hasnt complimented my truck. I've had cops stop me when I get out of my truck and ask me about it (that's what I thought he was gonna do), but he did look really unhappy about something.

When I pulled up a dodge challenger pulled away and he kept staring down the driver of the challenger

14. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Ya he was probably having a bad day, but either way I would be extremely cautious driving now. And as long as your tires dont stick past the fenders, I think 2", you are fine in that aspect. He also coulda been a new cop just lookin for some shit and thought you might put up a fight. You never know.

15. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM
    JohnnyGato

JohnnyGato God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vegas Island
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5 V6 4x4 Off Road
    Limo tint, Sirius/XM radio, Wet Okole's, Weathertech's, Rhino Lining, blacked out badges, shorty antenna, painted speaker (tweeter) covers, blue LED running lights, Icon 3" lift, Pro Comp 17" 7005's, 33" (285/70/17) Good Year MT/R's with kevlar.
    For a cop...he's an asshole!

16. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    So you are suppose to completely change your truck if you are driving through california? I don't see that very likely that you would have to take your headers off and swap out suspension and body parts for just being in California for a short period of time.

17. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    haha dick move. prolly just trying to set an example.maybe flex the authority

18. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    blackhawke88

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    ^ nah I know never to run my mouth in front of authority (growing up in a Chinese and American military family taught me well)

I am not gonna change the way I drive because I currently drive perfectly fine. If I do drive the way the cop described it...I would have my license suspended already. Im just confused as the what I did wrong because, AFAIK, I didnt do anything wrong, but got sweated.

19. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM
    socal16

socal16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    08 trd offroad black 4x4!!!
    wheels and tires, k&n cold air intake, limo tint,bhlm,TRD seatcovers, OME lift
    the yes sir no sir sorry sir crap didnt work for me and it was my first ticket dam NHP!

20. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Actually I think they can, but most of them dont. I asked this question on a ride along and he told me they have to know where to draw the line. Now maybe I took that the wrong way. Most cops wont hassle you with these things. But when you become a resident you have to follow these rules.

Products Discussed in

To Top