1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Craigslist selling......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by neontrail, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    This is absolutely a scam. DON'T deal with these people.

+1 I used to think "if they're going to wait until the check clears, what's the risk to me?" Apparently a fake check will clear, then will have issues later one (once you're goods are long gone).

I was going to say you should tell him "cash, in $100s, no exceptions" b/c you can take those to a bank and have them check for fakes on the spot, but it looks like I'm too late........

What are you going to do w/ the check? You've given that guy your address, so the people who were going to come pick up the table know where you live, right? I hope this turns out well, but I wouldn't have done that.

2. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Neon, I would HIGHLY recommend not running that check through your bank. It has bad news written all over it.

3. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    neontrail

neontrail [OP] ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    Well he has my address, but not my Apt # ..... so no one will be coming to my door.

4. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    ^^^^ That's good.

I'm certainly going to keep an eye on this thread. I'm so sick of craigs list scammers. I've started putting "I absolutely will not ship this item" in my ads. Hopefully that keeps a few of these jack-holes from even trying.

5. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    doug355r

doug355r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    2.5" Lift with King shocks and TC UC, 4.88 gears, ARB compressor, ARB lockers, S POD, cheap lights

+eleventybillion!!!!!!!!

tell his "guys" to bring the cash

6. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    chazjb

chazjb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Sport
    I agree... checks are sketchy as well as this guy wanting to buy it. If you do decide to go on with with sale be careful

7. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    Chachie

Chachie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD OR, 4x4, Auto, 6" Fabtech, 35's
    Locker mod, Anytime fog mod, always 400w mod.
    I used to work for a local credit union and used to see this weekly if not daily. 90 year old little miss Johnson wanting to sell her dead husbands car got a check in the mail. lol. So there is one and only one fool proof way around it which i will get to in a sec. But first some background.

These scams work by the purchaser opening a fake account under a fake name. They then write a check off of that account. They then purchase something from john doe with the statement that his "movers" will be by to pick the item up once the check clears. However even though a check has cleared your bank and the funds are in your account, they can still be pulled right back out again if the check bounces on the payers side. So he closes his account, taking all funds with him, or puts a stop on the check after it has cleared and closes the account and you are out money and the item.

So the way around it. The first step is to call and verify the account at the bank. Verify that all the names match up and ask for the amount of time the account has been open. Hell you could even ask for a VOD witch will give you all of the basic info on the account. Now the hard part, this is the 1 in 100 chance part. If there is a branch within a reasonable distance of you, go to that bank and cash the check. This being done, it instantly clears his account and puts all responsibility on the issuer. However unfortunately, most of the time the check is drawn off a foreign bank due to the strict checks and regulations that the US has on new accounts.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

8. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    scam... just throw away the check and never respond back... Always use paypal or cash, everything else is vulnerable.

9. Feb 24, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i wouldn't trust it. when it comes to CL accept cash only. checks and money orders can be faked then the bank will take the money out of your account a few weeks later when they realize it was fraudulent. DONT DO IT

Products Discussed in

To Top