Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

What the hell is my computer doing?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
What the hell is my computer doing?

So, my new HP laptop that I've had for about 6 months now has a peculiar habit of turning itself on and off at random intervals. Today when I left to go to work I had it fully charged and in hibernate mode, got on break and pulled it out of my backpack (had been unused in my truck supposedly in hibernate mode for 3 hours), and its on and burning up. WTF?

I just get home from work and a Walmart trip and my laptop was 100% dead, and was at 70% battery when I put it back up after my break at work. Nobody touched it, it was in a backpack in a locked truck.

What the hell
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a recall lol.
What model is it.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I think the problem is that its an HP

Maybe you should turn it off when not in use.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
HP Pavilion DV6, running Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnatclee View Post
I say blame Toyota! It has to have something to do with their sticking gas pedals! lol!
Congress should have a hearing about this...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #6

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I think the problem is that its an HP.
I've got an 4 year old Sony Vaio VGN-C190g that has been on 24/7 for the last 6 months that I use to watch movies, has no battery, and is missing two keys from the keyboard, still works perfctly (minus the afore mentioned issues), and I recently put 7 on it.

The HP was a gift
Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
I've got an 4 year old Sony Vaio VGN-C190g that has been on 24/7 for the last 6 months that I use to watch movies, has no battery, and is missing two keys from the keyboard, still works perfctly (minus the afore mentioned issues), and I recently put 7 on it.

The HP was a gift

Haha, awesome
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, my new HP laptop that I've had for about 6 months now has a peculiar habit of turning itself on and off at random intervals. Today when I left to go to work I had it fully charged and in hibernate mode, got on break and pulled it out of my backpack (had been unused in my truck supposedly in hibernate mode for 3 hours), and its on and burning up. WTF?

I just get home from work and a Walmart trip and my laptop was 100% dead, and was at 70% battery when I put it back up after my break at work. Nobody touched it, it was in a backpack in a locked truck.

What the hell
I've had this happen with my Samsung NC10, but instead of coming on from being turned off, it would come on after I put it in stand-by mode. This was because there was either a software that was set to run at certain intervals that causes the laptop to turn back on, or the power savings software between your HP software and your Windows software is conflicting, causing one to turn your laptop on while the other wants to turn it off.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm it might be overheating? That causes a shutdown. But if it's that new then I don't see why it would...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
I guess you can take the battery out when your not using it. does it have a warranty?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

first it sounds like you are in standby mode, not in hibernate mode...hibernate mode would rarely turn the computer back on. Look to see if any of your programs has a setting that makes it run on certain intervals. Turn off your HP power settings and only run on Windows power settings. If none of that works, just resort to hibernating, not stand by mode, when not using your laptop
Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
first it sounds like you are in standby mode, not in hibernate mode...hibernate mode would rarely turn the computer back on. Look to see if any of your programs has a setting that makes it run on certain intervals. Turn off your HP power settings and only run on Windows power settings. If none of that works, just resort to hibernating, not stand by mode, when not using your laptop
This. Easiest thing to start with.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #14

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
It's set to go into standbye mode when I shut the lid... It did it again 10 minutes ago (watched it light up and start running from 15 feet away)... Just reset all my power settings... Damn weird issue.

Happened the other night while we where watching Paranormal Activity @ 3 something AM. LOL
Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's set to go into standbye mode when I shut the lid... It did it again 10 minutes ago (watched it light up and start running from 15 feet away)... Just reset all my power settings... Damn weird issue.

Happened the other night while we where watching Paranormal Activity @ 3 something AM. LOL
My guess then it's a software then that's causing it to exit. Usually like an updater or even maybe an antivirus.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #16

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm... Running the latest version of Avast on here... Also running on my Vaio however it doesn't do any of this crap... Perhaps it is the HP software.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #17
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

you didnt happen to swap the accelerator ECU program from your Taco into your laptop, did you?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #18
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, some funny stuff in here. I dont know how much this would matter, but when you are going to be moving it around like that, your supposed to turn it off. I know its not a lot of movement but the little vibrations in your truck could hurt it. I dont know if this is the case, just what my computer nerd brother tells me with my laptop.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #19
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it sounds like it is waking up to run a scan, update, or even something as simple as defrag.

My Toshiba is set to Hibernate when I close the lid and I think it has only ran something once during hibernation because I always unplug it at night but once when I plugged it in it began charging when it should have had a full battery.

Try the Hibernation mode and see if that cures it or wait a few minutes and one of the Mac boys will come in with a MAC FTW
Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #20
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Mac FTW. There you go.

In all seriousness, I think it is a matter of something doing a routinely run