1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cops on the fourm chime in please...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blackwatertaco, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Clean background + good morale character + college degree + military service = shoe in!

2. Feb 24, 2010 at 12:58 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco [OP] If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Yes my recruiter told me to go to school...Get 15 credit hours and come back...Well I was gonna jump on that fast...But this job im at now found me. I loved it at first but now it's getting old. But the pay is great!!!

3. Feb 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM
    blackwatertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    One thing holding me back is my credit...It's ok, But I have one charge off from 3yrs. ago. Im gonna contact that creditor and see about paying it off. It's only about $500

4. Feb 24, 2010 at 1:06 AM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    ive been wanting to be a police officer my whole life. I turn 21 next month, have some college classes, have military experience, hs diploma, but nobody is hiring in the state of Az. That is where i would like to stay, because i am engaged and y fiance doesnt want to move too far from her dad, who just had a kidney transplant couple years back.

I wish the economy would get better so i can get the job i want.

5. Feb 24, 2010 at 4:24 AM
    Buzzoff

Buzzoff Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in

Member:
    The Nickel/5th Ward
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Speedway Blue
    Blacked out windows, 5100's@1.75", KMC XD Hoss795 16x8

I've been with ^^^ for 15 years and live out past Lake Conroe. Best of both worlds. The drive sucks but I'm far enough away from Houston to get away from the crap. As far as money and cost of living I can't think of a better place. I have several DPS buddies and they are amazed at what we make. But if you don't wnat to work here I would recommend San Antonio PD (nice pay and location) and Dallas PD...

Trust me, after being lied to and crapped on for awhile you'll get he hang of it.

DPS is great but it really depends on what you want to do. As you know they write a lot of tickets. Even though they do lots of other things, places like HPD/San Antonio/Dallas will broaden your experience. You'll deal with SEVERAL different types of calls everyday working in the inner city then you would if you worked out in the middle of nowhere. Also when you decide what you really like to do (write tickets/homicide/narcotics/robbery/Major offenders/etc) there is more room for advancement.

Good luck. Go onto the Houston Chronicle (chron.com) and pull up city employees salaries. Not bad compared to our cost of living down here. Like I said, if I had to choose another Dept I would probably choose San Antonio. I hear a lot of good things about them.

6. Feb 24, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I wouldn't rush to "shoe in" Lots of places don't have money to hire new cops. Same thing with getting into the military- They aren't looking to hire a lot right now so you gotta be a pretty solid candidate to warrant them spending their money with you.

That being said- If it's your dream- Don't give up, but be ready to have to work pretty hard at it. You may have to move, work other jobs until a spot opens, consider other departments to get a start and then transfer.

LE is an awesome job. And you might feel that you are a softie, but you'll learn all sorts of stuff that'll help you do the job when it's work hours and still be you off duty. Bet the first time someone tries to kill you or lie to you you'll realize that you are tougher than you think.

7. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    every state...and every department is going to be different in both the hiring process and academy requirements

in SC most depts you only need a hs diploma/ged...some places require college degree

where i work requires a degree...and the SC academy is not very hard at all

i got hired 3 years after i graduated college...approx 3 months after i put in my application...no military experience...no LE experience...

as far as being a "softie"

i havent been out there in the shit NEAR as much as some of the other guys here...but ive already found that my laid back attitude seems to keep the criminals a little more relaxed...several of the guys ive arrested have said that they thought i was knew and they could BS me...just because i wasnt in their face the entire time trying to strong arm them into confessing...i was unsure of how i'd do in a critical incident too because of my laid back mindset...but the first time a guy pushed me and took off running...that changed REAL fast as i didnt think twice about deploying a taser directly into his back...and then again when the second guy i had attempt to resist got a face full of concrete before i even had a second thought about it...

im not sure how it works out there...but around here the smaller departments typically pay better...but larger depts offer some sort of auxiliary benefits that make up for that...like i have a take home patrol car and we have a lot of nice equipment...i'll also gladly trade a bit of pay to have more officers out there with me

i work in a fairly busy and rough area...its nice knowing my backup is either already on scene or less than 5 minutes away almost all the time...and its comforting to know that our equipment is top notch

i mean...our dept has something like 20 k9s, a tank, 2 helicopters, an airplane...every officer on the street has at least 1 long gun (either mossberg 590A1 or a carbine rifle)...

8. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    '98_Taco

'98_Taco Member

Member:

I think a low IQ is required, and you were picked on a lot in high school;)

9. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    SAPD might also be an option for you. The pay is decent, and it is not a prerequisite to have prior college credit. If you decide to go back to school, the department will increase your pay-grade as you gain credit hours and hit the next tier.

10. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......

im pretty sure you would have to pass a drug test buddy :rasta:

11. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Isn't the San Antonio SWAT team #1 in the nation?
    I thought I saw that somewhere

12. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    91Toyotabogger

91Toyotabogger "Loud Tires Can Save Lives"

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    91 4wd 5sp manual Pickup Standard cab white
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    I have my two year degree in criminal justice. I am currently waiting to hear back from one of the largest departments in the state. To answer your question (at least in NC) you dont have to live in the jurisdiction you are applying to until you are hired and sign your letter of intent. (Highway Patrol) I can not say what your local department requires it is different everywhere. I say get your Associates degree from a local community college, or if you are 21 go get certified. If you have done drugs recently, just forget about it, ever been arrested for a felony, or major crime forget about it. If you have a education, a clean background, and a good attitude more power to you, go for it i need all the backup i can get.:D

13. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    91Toyotabogger

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    No i think it is LAPD Swat

14. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
  15. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    91Toyotabogger

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
  16. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    If you lived in Texas you would think its the whole nation, because really, we don't care about the other 49. :)

17. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    drjohnson36

drjohnson36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    obvious_troll_714c170ba733b430c2be7cb24aaea49cff3ac54f.jpg

18. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    91Toyotabogger

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    a nation full of steers and queers huh?? just kidding had to say it:D

19. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    I use to be a Police Officer in Tulsa, Okla (1973-1978) so maybe I can help.
    1. Get as much college as you can. The pay is excellent in Okla and they get to pick and choose so you got to do something that will make you stand out.

2. Get rid of the Police Officer thinking and start thinking Peace Officer. That is where your Law enforcement authority comes from.

3. The retirement has changed since I was there as they now fall under the state retirement system so you may have to work longer than 20 years and draw less retired pay.

4. Ask for a packet and answer all questions 100% truthfully. If you smoked MJ then tell it. Hide nothing because they are going to polygraph you. Trust me the guys on the PD's weren't angels either so they realize you allowed to be young and stupid one time.

5. If you have any convicts in the family you will probably get denied but the answer is no if you don't ask.

6. You will train in a local academy and the academics are ball busters so make sure you have or develop good study habits. Remember the government is giving you a gun to use not to fuck up with and get the city sued.

7. My brother currenly is employed by the Florida highway patrol and they are hiring as well. Pay is shit but it gets your foot in the door. Keep a positive attitude and good luck!!!

20. Feb 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    blackwatertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.

I have a squeeky clean background.:D And im going to school this summer.
    That's also what my dad told me. Don't lie, Well I don't anyways. And shape up for the academy. Im 5'9" @205lbs. So I need to start loosing weight and quit eating pizza every night...LOL

For everybody else...I do like San Antonio, and ive heard great things about it. But it's not for me. HPD pays alot and has treated my dad great for his 25years of service, But I don't like Houston. Dallas forget it...LOL but Fort worth PD is an option, And definantly OCPD.

Products Discussed in

To Top