Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

any writers here that like to critique?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
usmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud of
Name: Daniel
usmrocks's Tacoma Gallery
any writers here that like to critique?

if so i have a speech i've worked on for speech class and if anyone wants to help a brother out and critique it that'd be awesome haha. if not i just won't post it. Oh and it's demonstration speech on how to fold a flag, don't hate i'm just trying to get a good grade.

thanks
usmrocks
Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
you can pm me, if it aint too long but its late and im getting tired
Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Post it up. I don't remember really liking speech class, but it wasn't too bad.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
usmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud ofusmrocks has much to be proud of
We all see them on almost a daily basis, but have you paid any attention to them since elementary school when you said the pledge to it every morning? By now you have probably figured out that it’s the American flag I am talking about. We may not salute it and say the pledge to it like we did in our youth but for the most part, we still give our flag the honor and recognition it deserves. After all it is our flag that tells people from all across the world who we are and what we stand for. Also most Americans know the story about the flag and how it has evolved over the years to the modern day 50 stars and 13 bars that fly in front of all public buildings. Do these same people however know how this flag should be treated? As an American interested in history and having studied about the flag for history tests and researched about it for English papers I have learned how to properly fold a flag. Since it would’ve taken two people to correctly fold it I have already folded a flag for you as an example and have these illustrations for reference.
1. First you must fold the flag with the blue edge slightly higher by an inch or so and fold it in half with that side being slightly longer
2. This is followed with a second fold leaving the flag broken into a blue half striped half
3. After this you are ready to begin folding the flag long ways. Starting on the striped in take one corner and fold it over giving this end a triangle point.
4. This process must then be repeated about eleven times before it has made it all the way to the other end of the flag.
5. With whatever excess flag remaining you much tuck into the fold giving the flag a right isosceles triangle shape with no red showing
6. After checking and confirming that no red is showing and only blue and white stars are visible you are done

This is the primary way of storing and displaying the American flag and is also the procedure the military uses when performing funerals for soldiers. Also when the flag is taken off the pole for ceremonies and such there is a speech given and it that speech it gives us insight into the meaning of the folded flag by saying: That when the flag is folded it resembles a cocked had and reminds us of the men who served under our countries first president George Washington.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
More , or ; and should make paragraphs. Not an expert, just some suggestions on what I would do, hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
More , or ; and should make paragraphs. Not an expert, just some suggestions on what I would do, hope that helps.
i don't know if i mentioned it but it's a speech so i wasn't too worried about that. thanks though
Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmrocks View Post
We all see them on almost a daily basis, but have you paid any attention to them since elementary school when you said the pledge to it daily?
I would try to avoid using words redundantly in the same sentence. Here you use the word "daily" twice in the same sentence.

I like the way it starts, though, so maybe cut out the last part.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i don't know if i mentioned it but it's a speech so i wasn't too worried about that. thanks though
Oh sorry, I just thought of that too after I posted my post, my bad.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Demonstration speech? Im doing one too for my speech class next week.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griztaco View Post
I would try to avoid using words redundantly in the same sentence. Here you use the word "daily" twice in the same sentence.

changed the second daily to "said the pledge every morning" i'll edit it in the main post. thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That's about all I can come up with as well. Damn it, I wanted to get some serious critiquing on.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellosa89 View Post
Demonstration speech? Im doing one too for my speech class next week.
yes indeed. mine is supposed to be 2-3 minutes but no more than 5. b/c the teacher wants to do it all in one day
Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
That's about all I can come up with as well. Damn it, I wanted to get some serious critiquing on.
i'll try to finish the conclusion before you sign off haha. and too bad i'm not in any Compostion classes this semester i've already gotten them out the way haha
Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Oh sorry, I just thought of that too after I posted my post, my bad.
no man it's cool. thanks for the help
Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yes indeed. mine is supposed to be 2-3 minutes but no more than 5. b/c the teacher wants to do it all in one day
Yea my teacher is doing 4 to 6 min, i timed mine the other day and im at 3min 30sec, i got to do some bsing. good luck on the speech.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #17
Quote:
We may not salute it and say the pledge to it like we did in our youth but for the most parts all Americans still give their countries flag the honor and recognition it deserves.
perhaps delete "their countries" and add "our"

You could also clean up some extra words, such as "all" before "all Americans"

Lets see how it reads now...

We may not salute it, and say the pledge to it like we did in our youth, but for the most part, Americans still give our flag the honor and recognition it deserves.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellosa89 View Post
Yea my teacher is doing 4 to 6 min, i timed mine the other day and im at 3min 30sec, i got to do some bsing. good luck on the speech.
thanks man you too
Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #19
We may not salute it, and say the pledge to it like we did in our youth, but for the most part, we still give our flag the honor and recognition it deserves.

I deleted "Americans" also cause you use, "we" everywhere else in the sentence
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #20
Quote:
perhaps delete "their countries" and add "our"

You could also clean up some extra words, such as "all" before "all Americans"

Lets see how it reads now...

We may not salute it, and say the pledge to it like we did in our youth, but for the most part, Americans still give our flag the honor and recognition it deserves.
edited Thanks a lot