Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Land Rover HSE or Discovery thoughts?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
kalib0y is on a distinguished road
kalib0y's Tacoma Gallery
Land Rover HSE or Discovery thoughts?

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask my Tacomaworld community that has experience with the 4x4 Land Rover HSE or Discovery. I know absolutely nothing about these trucks but I've been itching to get a 2004 Land Rover for light family off-road expeditions. I am probably only going to do minor suspension upgrades, wheels and off road tires.

What are your guys thoughts? What are the best years? Cost of ownership? What to look for or what to look out for? Any potential problems? I want to make sure I will make the best decision possible and not dig a hole for myself by owning one. So any input you may have would be great.

Also if you guys have any HSE or Discovery pics you would like to share that would be great. No pimped out rovers on stunna rims please. That is not the direction I am going with this. haha

Thanks in advance!
-Ryan
Old 02-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a pretty nice Disco I that was at Uwharrie whenever we had a meet there.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
I've read/heard that Land Rover reliability is poor.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Here's a pretty nice Disco I that was at Uwharrie whenever we had a meet there.

it wasn't "pretty nice" it was badass. it was diesel with a SAF
Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
I like the defender. They don't import them anymore, kinda has a classic look like FJ40's.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
My buddies mom has a late 90's land rover and they have nothing but problems with it, just recently some problem with the stupid automatic braking system to assist in descents. It ended being like a 300 dollar part. Id say stay away.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Howard Roark
Gossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud of

Gossamer's Tacoma Gallery
my wife and i sold our 2 year old LR3 (fully loaded) to buy a Suburban. Allow me to tell you why:

1-It got horrible gas mileage
2-It rode like shit
3-It was a rattle trap
4-The electronics were a mess and the dealership couldn't fix it
5-It was in the shop a lot
6-It was horrible off road
7-It was small
8-It was a land rover
Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
GSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Ron
GSRON's Tacoma Gallery
As a Euro Car Tech, I have 2 words for you..... Lucas Electrics.

For example, the 3 position Lucas Headlight Switch....
1. Dim
2. Flicker
3. OFF
Old 02-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
My thoughts on our 04' Discovery HSE7 from another thread. I mistakenly typed Land Cruiser instead of Land Rover in this quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntstan View Post
Mine are 10(girl), 8(boy) and 5(boy). They fit fine, even when we were using 2 boosters. Thinking about adopting a 4th but not sure yet. What I am sure of is that a Land Cruiser is a horrible vehicle to drive if you're more than 4 feet tall. My wife has an 04 Discovery and I absolutely HATE that vehicle with a white hot passion. It's a terrible design (seat adjustments, arm rests, steering wheel adjustments.........having to remove the front grill to replace a freakin' headlight bulb and I could go on for days but I wont). It's nice and roomy, but to be honest......sometimes I'd rather just walk than drive that car. Anyways...hope this helps !
Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
I like the discovery. Don't import them anymore, kinda has a classic look like FJ40's.
x2
Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Taco... since '97
LB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: J
LB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
I'd take a Defender 90, but pass on the rest of their line since 1985 or so...
x2- I love that Defender, other than that. If ur not a Rap star or Bball playa stay away from them
Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
you should get an older (pre 2003) 4runner! I would stay away from LR's...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Very bad reliability, expensive to repair, and not all places will work on LR's. Go for a 4Runner. My 98 was bullet proof!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
cleanerguy is on a distinguished road
cleanerguy's Tacoma Gallery
Just tell me where you live and I'll come over and kick you in the balls. Then you'll know what owning a land rover feels like. I had a discovery and one day while I was cleaning the gauge cluster the the whole thing just fell off. This was minor compared to the other crap that broke. Stay far away!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
kalib0y is on a distinguished road
kalib0y's Tacoma Gallery
Guess I got my answer...thanks guys