Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

What new bike to get?

View Poll Results: What new bike to get?
03+ SV650N 16 20.00%
03+ Buell Lightning 17 21.25%
Ducati Monster 47 58.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
doug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of light

doug355r's Tacoma Gallery
What new bike to get?

So I'm selling my 06 GSXR 600 because I want something that is a bit more comfortable to ride on longer trips. I thought about getting a cruiser but decided I still want a somewhat sporty bike. So I narrowed it down to 3 choices. 03 or newer SV650N, 03+ Buell Lightning, Ducati Monster, What do you all think? Poll to follow.

Edit: Added Pics

Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, for style/maintenance/performance I'd go with the SV650. Suzuki's bike is good looking (but the newest Gladius sucks IMO) and has a good, do-it-all build. I'd worry about getting a Buell since they are gone now, in the future parts may get hard to find. And as good looking as the Ducati is, I like to do my own work and the ducati seems like it's a little maintenance intensive and complicated. The great thing about the SV is you can dress it however you want, you could get a quick-detach fairing for longer trips, go naked, change the bars if you want, whatever.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
I had a buddy with a Buell around that era. He had the thing a year and it spent like 4 months of that year in the shop. Brand new bike mind you.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
djplan is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
djplan's Tacoma Gallery
Ducati Monster
The most fun you can have with your clothes on....

Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Proud Washingtonian
godofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud of

Navy: paper pusher
Name: Steve
godofspeed's Tacoma Gallery
I am big fan of Ducati, but not a big fan of the maintenance requirements. My buddy had a Buell, The rubber drive belt kinda scares me. I would go with the SV650, It can be a nice crusier or a good Track Day bike. I have 2 buddies that races the SV650, and they do really good on them.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Dude...Im at a cross roads. Im for the Buell and the Monster. I love both bikes.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
z33tec is on a distinguished road

z33tec's Tacoma Gallery
If it has to be between those, I vote sv650.

Have you looked at the Ninja 650 or ER-6N though? Great sport touring bikes.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
doug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipp11 View Post
pics?

Added pics
Old 03-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Taco... since '97
LB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: J
LB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know much about the monsters other than it is one of the only non-full fairing bikes I really like.

But if you are considering a Ducati find a friend who has one and test drive it. My brother had a 749 and although it looked sweet, I hated the dry clutch and the knocking it made. Sounded cheap IMO. I just checked on their website and the new Monsters have a wet clutch so that shouldn't be a problem. Lot's of maintainence for sure.

Suzuki makes great bikes...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
Personally, for style/maintenance/performance I'd go with the SV650. Suzuki's bike is good looking (but the newest Gladius sucks IMO) and has a good, do-it-all build. I'd worry about getting a Buell since they are gone now, in the future parts may get hard to find. And as good looking as the Ducati is, I like to do my own work and the ducati seems like it's a little maintenance intensive and complicated. The great thing about the SV is you can dress it however you want, you could get a quick-detach fairing for longer trips, go naked, change the bars if you want, whatever.

I agree with the Buell being gone thing. However, the engine is just a Harley sportster engine, and I'm sure you can always find parts for them. As far as attaching a fairing and changing bars, you can do that on all 3 bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z33tec View Post
If it has to be between those, I vote sv650.

Have you looked at the Ninja 650 or ER-6N though? Great sport touring bikes.

I've decided that I want a bike with a V-Twin engine, and want a naked bike with actual handle bars, not clip-ons. Although the EN is a parallel twin. When did those come out, just this year?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i had an '05 sv650 last summer (really, really miss it, but i had to sell it to get my tacoma so...). i loved that bike. tons of torque (read: real world speed) and pretty low maintenance. i'm actually in the market for another bike and it's definitely still one of my top choices!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
z33tec is on a distinguished road

z33tec's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug355r View Post
I've decided that I want a bike with a V-Twin engine, and want a naked bike with actual handle bars, not clip-ons. Although the EN is a parallel twin. When did those come out, just this year?
ER-6N has been around for a while and is big in Europe. Just came to US last year. It's a naked Ninja 650 and we've had those since they came out. I have one and love the parallel twin engine. Both have handlebars, not clip-ons, which can be changed easily (I changed mine to the Sport Bars v2.0)
Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
s3
Klipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Klipp11's Tacoma Gallery
i've ridden the ducati, thought it was gutless. but then, i'm used to the torque of my speed triple 1050. as far as looks, i'd go with the buell. haven't ridden it though
Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
lopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud of

lopedogg's Tacoma Gallery
Duc all the way!! I would get a monster if i had the extra cash so I could ride it on days I dont feel like riding my 999. Dont let the dry clutch keep you from getting one, thats just another reason ducs are unique.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
None of the above. Get a Triumph Street Triple:

Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #17
lost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlost1700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
lost1700's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Buell
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
Taco... since '97
LB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: J
LB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
None of the above. Get a Triumph Street Triple:

x2 on the speed triple. I have never ridin' one, but everyone I have talked to that has loves them.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Taco View Post
x2 on the speed triple. I have never ridin' one, but everyone I have talked to that has loves them.
I haven't ridden one either, but I loved my Sprint RS. Reliable, fun, a little bit different and affordable to purchase and maintain.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #20
s3
Klipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Klipp11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Taco View Post
yup, here's mine