1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Self defense vs attacking dog

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bigburrito, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Apr 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    [quote="OldManTan";1639732]It is actually quite sad, as they don't deserve the rep that irresponsible owners, and might I add breeders, have allowed for them. I fully agree with your defense, hit them with the pepper spray from a distance and if they get closer use the knife.
    I never once said to fear the owners, it is their lawyers and or/others around that may be hurt by pulling a gun and spraying bullets. I just want people to put a lot of thought into their defense and would like to see them protected. We just had an innocent school teacher shot to death in a strange home. According to local media, he was drunk and entered the wrong house at 3 am. I am truly sorry to his family for their loss but he was ordered to leave and advised multiple times that the owner was armed. He continued to advance, most likely due to the alcohol, and was shot. I am sorry for that homeowner too, because he has to deal with that. But by all accounts, he used his head, issued warnings and in the end felt he had no other choice but to shoot. It is truly a sad story overall, but shows how quickly something can turn in the mere act of defending yourself. I own a Boxer dog and guns, and am by no means against firearms and bully breeds. They both deserve respect and require responsibility.[/quote]

I say it's funny sarcasticly. What I mean by irresponsible owners is not keeping the dog, any dog, on a leash when others are around or possibly around. The area I live in has lots of paved walking trails with families everywhere. So as I do feel sorry for dogs that are mistreated, intentionally or unintentionally, but dog owners need to take responsibility for their potentially deadly dog. Leashing is the simplest answer. I hope that I am never confronted with an issue with protecting my kids and wife by killing a dog. My good friend has a pit as he says that it is the sweetest dog ever. So I'm not labeling only pits as deadly, that was just my experiance. Many dogs can be deadly, especially to kids. But I have floated this question to my friend with the pit, even though it is sweet, what happens if one day you are walking your dog, unleashed, and gets away from you and mames or kills a child, how would you feel? Just leash you dogs when others are around. I purposely don't own a dog right now because I have small kids and it's just not worth the risk vs reward for me.

2. Apr 9, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    I absolutely agree. I get slack for keeping my dog leashed INDOORS!! He is very excitable, in a good way, and stays leashed until he calms down. He is on leash whenever we walk. Unfortunately it usually isn't the responsible, self aware that have issues, although mistakes happen by all. I have absolutely NO fear that my dog will mame or kill a child or adult intentionally, BUT I understand he is a dog and even in play could hurt someone. I choose the safe route, because I could NEVER live with myself.

I don't have children, so I don't fully understand your apprehension. I am not afraid if we do have children with our dog. I would never leave them alone with out supervision, as I wouldn't let a child in the backyard with a pool. But I have seen a few puppies raised in good homes with young children that have become the sweetest, most tolerant dogs, and those children are more protected than you could imagine. That dog takes on a "mother hen" persona. But it is your house and I fully appreciate and respect your decision. And again, I feel safe is better than sorry. And has been mentioned in regards to the original thread, they are dogs and even the nicest looking ones can do a lot of damage, especially to a child.

3. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    pepper spray bro.

4. Apr 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    My dad is a mailman for the last 30 years and his second day on the job he was getting trained buy a guy he said was almost 70 and a german shepard came running at the old guy training him. The guy stuck his forearm out in front of him, and The dog latched onto his arm and with the other arm he reached behind its head and slammed his arm down snapping its neck. He then picked up the dog and threw it in a dumpster, said to my dad you didn't see that and just wen't on like nothing happened.

5. Apr 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    camiliosalomanda

camiliosalomanda Well-Known Member

Member:
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Super White
    Grill Craft Hella 500 Bed Aux Wet Okole Wet Okole Arm Rests Weather Tech Magnaflow OS Ram Night Breakers Rocky Mounts Custom IPOD Dock Pioneer AVH P4100 Relentless Sliders AnBCustomFab Bed Rack 3 Inch Icon Lift with leaf pack
    [​IMG] Neck knife is a good start. When I jog or walk in the woods, I take my entire bugout bag with me.

6. Apr 10, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I use HALT!!! Available at bike stores. ANY dog that runs up to me and my dogs (that I don't know) - gets sprayed PERIOD!!! My one dog has been attacked and her looking at me saying "why aren't you helping me" was enough to start me carrying the spray. It does NOT hurt the other animal - just gets them to leave us alone.

I have sprayed several dogs in my neighborhood that were loose and I didn't know them and what they would do. Including several pit bulls that climbed out of their fences and do not have nice intentions on their minds - but a quick spray and they turn around and go home. Thankfully I have not had to deal with more than one dog at once.

7. Apr 10, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Being as I carry a firearm, Im not worried about an attacking dog. That being said, I have had a confrontation with unleashed dogs a few times, when out for a walk with my Wife. When it has happened, I have had my Wife stay where she is, as I head twards the dog, and in a commanding voice say "NO!". All times have resulted in the dog stopping. 2 of the times involved Pitbulls. Both those times, the dog retreted.

8. Apr 10, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    They can't take the dog away until it actually BITES someone.... give me a break!!! That dog is dangerous and needs to be put down NOW!! Or given to someone who can control the animal.

9. Apr 10, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    everytime you go run just make sure you have a running partner, that you can out run.

10. Apr 10, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    And THAT is why we have dog bites, injuries and death. Great freakin laws we have. :mad:

11. May 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    Hurst22

Hurst22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    San Mateo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma 4 door base
    all leather, custom rims
    I hope you got a fist made of steel.

12. May 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    El Chip

El Chip Well-Known Member

Member:
    I carry bacon covered grenades. Aggressive dog starts running after me I just rip one off the belt, pull the pin, and launch it. The smell is fantastic after they go off.

To Top