1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Self defense vs attacking dog

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bigburrito, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    bigburrito

bigburrito [OP] Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    So I was out for a jog last night when I come around a corner this young pit bull comes running up towards me. Tail is wagging so Im thinking, ok this dog wants to say whats up, no big deal. Instead he jumps up and lightly grabs my left forearm with his mouth, not hard enough to even leave a trace of a mark, but mouth on forearm regardless. a big no no. Its owner was right behind him and quickly reprimanded the dog for his behavior, I didnt make a big deal out of it because no harm was done, this owner was just not up to speed on the training(which is another issue entirely)

But.... this got me thinking. What if I were truly attacked by a dog while out running? What would I do? I played a few scenarios out in my head, but they all ended up looking like awesome 90's action movies complete with explosions and dog guts everywhere. Not realistic.

I used to carry OC/CS spray when out running for situations like this, but I dont like the potential for it to blow back in my face. Carrying a gun is out of question in Illinois, it is illegal to preserve your life here.

That leaves me with 3 options-

bare hands- advantage dog
    fixed blade knife- advantage me
    club of some sort- advantage me, but a little heavy to carry running

At least once a year I get chased down and nipped at by rogue dogs when out running, and I know this is a common thing for other runners. And getting killed by stray dogs is not out of the question- a woman was killed and eaten by 3 "on the loose" pitbulls a few years ago in my hometown (which is a very nice neighborhood, somewhere you would never expect something like that to happen)

Asking fellow runners (or mailmen)- What do you do?

2. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    Big stick!

3. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Treadmill FTW

4. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Increase your training regime. If the dog catches you, you weren't running fast enough.

Second, go jogging with a midget wearing a bacon necklace.

5. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    not feasible

that requires you to get way too close to the dog

:laugh:

personally i'd stick with OC...but find some in a stream delivery instead of mist...theres all different spray patterns that reduce blowback etc in the wind

6. Apr 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Taser. If it is just one dog, a good solid punch in the throat will most of the time send them running away. If it has one forearm then your other arm is free to flip dog and commence to beating the throat area. I really don't care if someone doesn't like it. I refuse to become dog food.

7. Apr 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    Spray...better NOT to have to punch the pooch, which is a good idea if all else fails, or get your hand up under the collar and twist. When I used to carry mail years ago before I switched to inside, the spray did the job; I'd rather take the chance of blow back than have to hand to hand personally...they may have a small high frequency device out that might work also...

8. Apr 7, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    I always run with a folding knife on my shorts, a few scenarios come to mind since this has happened to me.
    1) dogs on you, gram em by the throat and try (stress "try" not "do") to pull their trachea out. (this will normally make them break bite) a swift, sharp kick in the side is a good one too. Try to get them on their back and choke them while growling at them. (it sounds silly, but it does work)
    2) If you see one, stop and get "big" stare at the dog, puff up and be more alpha than they are.
    3) Use the knife, go for the throat or chest. Last resort. Then find then owner and deal with them (in a nicer way)
    Hope it helps,

Edit: I'm a small guy, 5'6 and 120lb with a big breakfast and a backpack. Most large dogs weigh as much as I do, or more, so real world bites get a real world response. most of the time, its just excitement and thats pretty easy to deal with. bring your knee up in their chest as they jump or grab em by the scruff and hang on.
    "a fair fight means you werent prepared"

9. Apr 7, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    bigburrito

bigburrito [OP] Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    True genius! :D

some good real world methods here. i like the hand under the collar/twist turniquet idea, never heard of that one before.

good to hear from a mailman! blow back scares the crap out of me though, the last thing i want is to be stranded out in the woods somewhere half eaten and crying (from the spray, not from being eaten)

10. Apr 7, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    LILFURR

LILFURR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4.0l 6speed sr5
    6 inch fabtech, 3 inch body lift spidertrax wheel spacers, grillcraft insert with black grill, black trex3 eyelids, custom VT emblem(not mounted) courtesy metalmiller, custom VT shifter courtesy pope953, bhlm, tinted fogs
    ha this isnt gonna sound good but being a wrestler im either gonna kick the shit out of it or somehow ending up with me choking it out or breaking its neck ha

11. Apr 7, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I would roll with the taser. I'm a dog lover and I would hate to harm a "mean looking" dog running at me ready to play. I would probably get bitten, but I would wait until i know for sure it's intentions are to kill, then hit that bitch in the neck with the taser. Followed by an elbow to the skull.

12. Apr 7, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    I go running with my dog off leash all the time. Back trails, hardly ever run into anyone, and my dog listens very well, especially when he's been running for a couple miles and is to tired to do anything besides run back to the truck. That being said, he likes people and gets excited when he sees people. If I see them coming I can control him verbally no problem. If he sees them first, he might get his ears back and tail wagging before I can react. He's trained not to jump, but he's a puppy, it happens. Definitely no teeth though. So far it hasn't been an issue. If he starts to jump up and someone puts a knee into him to knock him off balance I don't even say anything to them. That's what I do with him and other people's dogs at the dog park all the time. It's never led to words being exchanged. If anything it leads to an apologetic owner (in some cases, me).

If someone shot or stabbed my dog while he was trying to be a retarded excited puppy I would beat the bejesus out of them and bury them in the woods with their testicles in their throat.

If they pepper sprayed him I'd be a little upset and my run would be cut short so I could rinse him off but it'd be understandable and kind of funny.

Go with the pepper spray. And be damn sure you have a firm understanding of the situation before you use it.

Also, a dog can't bite you if your forearm is held vertically in front of his face. They'll try to tilt their head sideways to grab it, then you just move your arm. I use that technique to mess with my dog all the time when we're wrestling. A couple times he's just laid down and given up. It's enough to keep you from getting bit while you get control of the situation. Whether that's grabbing a collar or knocking the dog over.

13. Apr 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.

x2

I would always give the dog the benefit of doubt... but once it strikes, it's game over. but one (real, "now I know it's intentions are not to play") bite, that's the last one the dog will ever make I don't give a shit if it was my mothers. I would try to find the owner if it had a collar otherwise a call to animal control to pick up the carcass. better me than some kid or woman...

as to the OP's question - I would think a spray or small knife would be fine. but you will feel more manly when you kill it with your bear hands :D

14. Apr 7, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    well said luni :thumbsup:

15. Apr 7, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    Likewise :D

16. Apr 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I am a dog lover. Me and the dog are inseprable, I take her everywhere. That being said, if another dog threatens my life, my dogs life, family etc. it's toast. I will light that dog up, kick in the ribs for sure. A large male PB attacked her once, I beat the shit out of that dog and then took mine to the vet... my hands were more mangled than my dog but adrenaline is a mf. I should have delt with it's owner too but I saw blood and hit the road to the vet.

My pup is a large female alpha type and other dogs occasionally take a swing at her; if she's winning or not, if the other pooch started it I'm gonna end it.

17. Apr 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    - philo
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Gray Tacoma TRD
    Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
    umbrella

18. Apr 7, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I would carry a loud air horn.

That won't even come close to working. If the dog wasn't attacking then he/she will now be playing very rough at the very least. My dogs play very rough seems evil to some but thats how we play.

I am reffering to this specific incident, in which case he is talking about a bulldog type breed.

Good luck with this also.

Very good info. I like that idea.

19. Apr 7, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    If someone can't/won't follow leash laws and they can't/won't control their dog, I'm gonna do what is necessary to ensure my survival and not the dogs. I have no idea if the dog is just playing around or trying to attack me. When I come around a corner and a dog jumps on me, I will assume it's an attack and handle as such.

Luckily, the only time I've ever had a dog run up on me (pit bull type) was one that had gotten away from a girl way to little to be walking it. But I was able to reach back and grab him by the top of the collar and hold him up off the ground until the owner came over and I made sure his leash was secure.

20. Apr 7, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    TimS

TimS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC tacoma/2005 access cab
    Rebuilt with flatbed 5100's, new spring packs
    Had a dog put my hip in his mouth while running. The owner was right there. I however punched it as hard as I could in the side if the head. The dog yelped. The owner never said a word. From then on the dog has never bothered me. That said, any dog that comes at me with its mouth open and jumping will get hurt. I don't care if its a young or old dog. I have a dog and she is a great dog. However, she still is a animal that can change its tune anytime for what ever reason.

To Top