1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taxes fcuking taxes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Muy Grande, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Apr 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    Ok so I have to vent just a little here, I just did a preliminary run of my taxes using Turbotax and I have to pay Uncle SAM $15,262.00 WTF. :eek:

I could use that money and buy a brand new Toyota (ok maybe not new but a slightly used one).

I don't know if I'm doing this right but me and the wife made about $150k this year (this includes some early IRA withdrawls since I did lose about 75% in the stock market and said fuck it......if all those fucks on Wall street can burn my cash and still eat steaks, I'm going to cash out and eat some too.....bad idea here cause now I have to pay taxes on it).

Anyways I just realized that taxes on $150k is around $25k (before the standard deduction of $11,400). I consider myself middle class but fuck, if Im going to have tax bills like this ($15k) I might as well live off food stamps, welfare and get free medicaid (and just give all you guys on TW the bill). This is how the system keeps everyone down. I have the cash but it will pretty much wipe out my savings! If I only knew all the tricks wealthy people know that might help!

What do you guys think here! :rolleyes:

Need some recommendations.......

Maybe open up some IRA's but that won't get rid of the $15 grand.

2. Apr 11, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Maybe an accountant might be able to find you some shelter ,

OZ

3. Apr 11, 2010 at 12:33 AM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.

Believe me I'm thankful but I have been making more and more money every year for the past 3 years ($60k, $101k, $150k) and I've gone from getting a return to paying out of pocket. This is nuts!

4. Apr 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD

That's my next step!

5. Apr 11, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You need some pogie ,^^^^^

:canada::thumbsup:

OZ

6. Apr 11, 2010 at 12:38 AM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    x10

7. Apr 11, 2010 at 12:41 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Spagett

8. Apr 11, 2010 at 12:43 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Beaver , not receiver

OZ

9. Apr 11, 2010 at 12:57 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    but you are a bum

OZ

10. Apr 11, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Its the IRA withdrawals. That money was put away pre-tax so now since you withdrew it prior to the deemed "retirement age" (I am guess you are under), Uncle Sam wants his money plus there is a hefty penalty for early withdraw.

That why most people do the ira rollover to prevent this from happening. There is some exceptions like terminal illness or something that exempts....not financial hardship though. it is bad news all around...you pay the tax or you die & not pay the tax.

Definitely not fun at all, sorry to hear...been there though.

If you pay state tax, you more than likely will get hit there too. You can setup a installment agreement with them. That is what I did, my last payment is next month & they took all of this years refund.

The suggestion of an accountant is a good one, they know all the exemptions that may help offset this penalty. Good luck!

11. Apr 11, 2010 at 5:27 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah- You need to talk to a professional. You made some less than awesome choices with your money....and just because you MAKE more doesn't mean you should go from getting a return to making a payment...if you set up your W4s right...and making that much you NEED to be paying attention to every little detail....or paying someone to do it for you.

12. Apr 11, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    There are a lot of places I'm sure where you could be that you wouldn't have to pay those taxes. Of course you wouldn't have any money or any of the toys you have.Man Up!

13. Apr 11, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    i feel ya man. i hate turbotax because of that reason. i took on another job that would send me a t99 for taxes... well... this company never took taxes out of my paychecks. being 20, i wasnt sure what to do, i only made 2k.... turbo tax said i owed 1000!!!!:eek: i was rather pissed about this. so i took it to an accountant and they got it to where i only owe about 500 or so. (this is after i put in some of my work expenses and such.) but regardless, i am actually losing money working there. :mad:

14. Apr 11, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    X2 on a good tax accountant. A good one can save you thousands but sadly, there are a lot of losers out there. Be careful in choosing.

15. Apr 11, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Hmmmm you made 150K....minus 15K.....thats 135K!!! be happy. your pretty well off in my book. you make three times what i make and i feel like i am pretty happy with what i got.

However i know the old "i worked for it" saying, so you need to get some tips from the local HR block or an accountant. tey know how to prepare for this throughout the year not just when it comes tax season. they may still be able to help you.there is probably things you could write off but just aren't thinking like a "Tax man"

16. Apr 11, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ya.. cashing out those accounts is what did it. even though they withhold taxes from that payout, typically, the state withholdings are not near enough. my wife and i got hit for $3200 this year because we cahsed out a retierment fund.

good luck to you.

17. Apr 11, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    I'll guess $3200 was about 10% of your payout which is the penalty for early withdrawal. BTDT.

18. Apr 11, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    $27k was the total, $2700 to state and $500 to fed. so ya, 10% to the state :(

after all the taxes and penalties, we pocketed about $19k. i know its a big hit on that money, but we paid off almost all our debt with that. no more credit cards and no more interest :)

19. Apr 11, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    You should donate like a mofo during the year. You fucked yourself pulling that cash out. You can donate up to around $5k a year and still stay under the radar. Use it. I try to hit around 4k-4.5k a year for donations. You need to lower your AGI.

20. Apr 11, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    scdude37

scdude37 Lil Blue

Member:
    First Name:
    kendall
    Florence, South carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 stock now
    tinted windows that are 20%
    Just wondering but in this economy for the past two years how did u get an increase from 60k to 101k and then to 150k!! im not saying ur lying or anything i am just wondering b/c i am a smart person and in this economy and going from a pay of 60 to 101k is almost impossible. i mean thats 41k increase, so i am guessing u switched jobs and got a higher position or some how the first time was just income and then the next was combined with ur wifes and then the last one well im not sure. but i would love to know what work you do. Because if u seriously got that kind of increase that is awsome.

Products Discussed in

To Top