Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Starting back to school... well trying.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Beware: I bite! ^_^
Kitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud of

Name: Kelly
Kitty's Tacoma Gallery
Post Starting back to school... well trying.

Ok, so I have been mulling it over for a while and have finally decided to go back to college. I graduated in 2006 with a BS major in biology and minor in chemistry. I finally found an online graduate school that offers a Masters in chemistry!! Yay! I have to take online because I work every day, all day.

Now the only thing is they require 2 sememsters of Calculus for me to be admitted. I only took honors precal when I was in school before because that is all that I had to have. So now I am having to go back to the local college I got my bachelors from and take the classes. All is well and good.. except.. in order to register for these classes I have to have an advisor's approval. Problem! I don't have an advisor. As the nice math office guy said "Problem is you don't belong to anyone now." I guess I just have to wait until tomorrow to call the graduate studies office and see if they can help me. I am sooo not paying graduate tuition for undergrad classes!! I know what I need to take and you will get my money, so someone just give me the damn approval so I can get in there!

Ok, I am sure no one really cares about any of that, but I needed to get it off my chest.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
I feel your pain...Im in my second semester adn officially a junior...but need to retake about half of my gen ed stuff. Its like highschool repeated. Math is definately not my strong suit either. Im in intro to algerbra and bombed a test today...might as well read arabic. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I lost my job at the end of last year. Heading back at 54! I'll be able to get a student discount at the movies.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't there a community/jr college where you can get the classes? They're usually cheaper.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
s2studio is on a distinguished road

s2studio's Tacoma Gallery
Yay for you! As a student my whole life so far...it's really all I know, and I'm sure there's a lot more to the "real world" ...but its going to be a few more years of school for me O_o

But good for you, I'm definitely rooting for you!!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
i feel yeh man. i only took a quarter (10 weeks) off and its been hell getting back in the swing of things. good luck!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Kitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud ofKitty has much to be proud of

Kitty's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
I feel your pain...Im in my second semester adn officially a junior...but need to retake about half of my gen ed stuff. Its like highschool repeated. Math is definately not my strong suit either. Im in intro to algerbra and bombed a test today...might as well read arabic. Good luck!
Ooo I LOVED Algebra!! Need a tutor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Do I even want to ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Isn't there a community/jr college where you can get the classes? They're usually cheaper.
There is a jr college, but none that offer Calculus I and II during late enough evening times. Work all day and can't miss work!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #10

Kitty's Tacoma Gallery
Well you guys asked for it...

Jacksonville State University

at least some of it..
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #11

Kitty's Tacoma Gallery
Yay! I am officially registered for Calculus I starting in Aug.

Who would think I would be so happy about math..
Old 04-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Yay! I am officially registered for Calculus I start in Aug.

Who would think I would be so happy about math..
congrats....
you're happy now, just wait until you open the book.....
Old 04-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #13

Kitty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by notavirg View Post
I'm getting ready to back to school too. I got my undergrad at JHU and I'm getting ready for law school. My first lsat prep class is actually in 7 minutes.

And I hate math so much. It's one of the reasons I chose not to do an MBA. I'm so done with pythagorean this and that, pi, log, blah blah blah. Considering I'm half asian you'd think I'd at least like math a little bit...

I am definately no part asian, but I actually like math. I loved Algebra so most people are saying I will probably like Calculus. Good luck with law school. You gunna become a dirty lawyer? hehe

Quote:
btw, good luck to the people going back to school. I'm still trying to mentally prep myself for what I like to call the 'fuck' moments. It's when I remember I have a test or paper due right when there is just enough time to do nothing about it. My only reaction and thought at those times is 'fuck'.
Luckily I am going for math now and then masters in chemistry. No papers for me thank you! I will still have to worry bout the tests though.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #14

Kitty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol, actually no. I don't have any intentions of practicing law in court. A lot of what I do focuses around federal regulations with gov't contracts. Having a law degree would make me a bigger asset to the company and fatten up my wallet a little

What are you looking to do with chemistry? I took an entry level chem class my first year of college and it kicked my ass relentlessly
Science is my ultimate passion! Bio and Chem..
My goal is to get a nice upper level career in a laboratory. Forensic lab being my top choice, but will settle for something else. I just need more hands on work! I just don't have good luck right now with those jobs with just a BS with a minor in chem and no experience outside of school. I wish that the degree would help me in the company I am with now (Lockheed Martin), but I doubt that will happen so I will probably go government.

Guess I would rather do something I love than stay in a dead-end job with a good company.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #15

Kitty's Tacoma Gallery
I could probably get a job with the company in my field if I wanted to move to Maryland, but I do not. If I am moving anywhere it would be to CO and that would have to be a while (3+yrs) since I just bought a house. Then again, it will probably be close to 3 years before I am done with my masters. They actually had a scientist opening here at the army depot I work on, but I didn't qualify.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Ok, so I have been mulling it over for a while and have finally decided to go back to college. I graduated in 2006 with a BS major in biology and minor in chemistry. I finally found an online graduate school that offers a Masters in chemistry!! Yay! I have to take online because I work every day, all day.

Now the only thing is they require 2 sememsters of Calculus for me to be admitted. I only took honors precal when I was in school before because that is all that I had to have. So now I am having to go back to the local college I got my bachelors from and take the classes. All is well and good.. except.. in order to register for these classes I have to have an advisor's approval. Problem! I don't have an advisor. As the nice math office guy said "Problem is you don't belong to anyone now." I guess I just have to wait until tomorrow to call the graduate studies office and see if they can help me. I am sooo not paying graduate tuition for undergrad classes!! I know what I need to take and you will get my money, so someone just give me the damn approval so I can get in there!

Ok, I am sure no one really cares about any of that, but I needed to get it off my chest.
i'm impressed with your drive. i fully intended to go to graduate school but after i got my BS and some real world experience in my major i decided i was done with school forever. to be honest i wouldn't mind going back but i dont have a clue what i want to do. what are you planning on doing with a chemistry degree?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
to the 54 year old going back to school!!! KUDOS!

to kitty. the same and good luck. cal I and II were my favorite classes. you taking the new version based on a graphing calculator?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #18

Kitty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
to the 54 year old going back to school!!! KUDOS!

to kitty. the same and good luck. cal I and II were my favorite classes. you taking the new version based on a graphing calculator?
I haven't the slightest to be honest. I am going to wait a little closer to the start date and then bug the crap out of my teacher about what all I need to have. If I do need one then I will probably need to buy a new one. My old one has probably had it (around 15 years old).