1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Great Dane dogs???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blackwatertaco, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Apr 20, 2010 at 11:46 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco [OP] If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    I had a great dane puppy when I was growing up...Tragically, He was kicked by my horse and died.

Anyways, Im in the market for a Great Dane, And only a Great Dane. I have read on them, Some of the things ive read is that they are couch potatos. Is that true?

I have a nice mid size backyard that im about to fence off, So he can stay back their and come into the house when he wants.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if they really need that much room and how you liked them. Pics of your dane if you have one.

2. Apr 21, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    mbtex

mbtex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pearland Texas
    Vehicle:
    94 4X4 Exc Cab, 2017 DCSB TRD OR, 2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    My last dog was a Great Dane. Best dog I ever owned. Yes they like to sit on the couch and are like over sized lap dogs. She was also great with the kids. We had normal sized back yard should be fine. Only bad thing about them is they live short lives average around 10 years.

Good luck. They are Great Dogs. miss mine all the time.

3. Apr 21, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    mbtex

mbtex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pearland Texas
    Vehicle:
    Here she is.

UMA.jpg

4. Apr 21, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    A good friend of mine has two of them. They ARE couch potatoes. Those two dogs sit around doing a bunch of nothing 95% of the time. They also had some issues with there stomachs turning. To remedy the issue, they ended up getting cut open and having their stomachs stapled to something or another so they wouldn't twist. Apparently Great Danes are quite prone to this and it can cause a life threatening situation. Something else to consider is they don't live too long of a life due to their size, and obviously eat a ton of food.

5. Apr 21, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Check out my avatar signature. Look at www.saveadane.org They've got great danes that need a home. That's where I'm getting my next dane from. I might bring my Great Dane to the wheeling meetup this weekend. But that's only is his stomach bug is better. And I have never owned a better dog than the one I have now. Words can't describe how cool this breed is. They sleep ALL day and night and their as gentle as can be! But you HAVE to socialize this breed, otherwise you will have problems in the future. Also, if ppl are just planning on just leaving this dog in the backyard their whole life, then this breed is not the one to have. Great Danes are very social dogs and need attention. This is the worst breed to leave alone all day. Also, it doesn't matter how much property you have for them to run. They'll run for 10 mins and then they want to spend the rest of the day with YOU! Just some food for thought... Once I get a house, I plan on having at least three! Lol

6. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    Anathollo

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    And by stomach bug, I mean he has diarrhea, not "bloat", that's the condition where large chested dogs have their intestines flip over, it happens in horses too, and it only happens when they eat a full meal and then immediately go run. You have to be careful of this condition with any large dog, especially Great Danes. Hey Jay, if you want more info txt me man. You still have my cell # right?

7. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    just a question because my boss has one. but when he got his probably three months after the vet put him on a sweet potatoe diet. is this for the stomach issue??

8. Apr 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    my friend peter grew up in a family of huge dogs (great danes and irish wolf hounds). he's now married and him and his wife have a huge black dane. she is the scariest dog in the world but she it the biggest baby of any dog i have ever met. she loves the couch. she has a special spot anda special blanket because she gets cold (like i said, she is a huge baby). but as far as being a couch potato, she is pretty damn energetic. she will play with other dogs for hours without getting tired. but if she is not playing she is typically laying under her blanket on the couch. i do know they have short life spans and have alot of heart and spine and hip problems due to their size. someone correct me if i'm wrong but they typically live between 6 and 8 years.

one cool thing, is that they are so big, they can sit on the couch with their font paws on the ground. its hilarious. i love them and would love to have one but NOT as an inside pet due to the destructive power of their tail and their general size. not to mention the medical problems. vets aint cheap.

9. Apr 21, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    My neighbor has a Great Dane... Thing is huge and only jumped the fence once. My English Bulldog didn't move off her tuff and just stared at it while it barked at her...

10. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    mbtex

mbtex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pearland Texas
    Vehicle:

Mine used to do this all the time. Ours stayed in the house with no problem. She had her own room and futon to sleep on until we had kids. I would walk Her by riding my mountain bike and holding the leash. They don't have to be mean because there size intimidates alot of people. She also made to 10 years.

11. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    wow, 10 years!? isn't that pretty uncommon or was i mistaken about the 6 to 8 years part? i love watching Addie (the black dane) sit on the sofa like a human. its so cool. i've seen multiple danes do that but never any other dogs

12. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my brother has one. he had two. he adopted them. get this; one was molested by a man, repeatedly!!! she took years to trust my brother. he gave her a great life and she passed. his remaining dane "porsche" is the most loyal, gentle dog that i have ever met. she is huge..but such a sweetie. LOYAL! i love that dog, and would get a dane anyday..but my home is tiny. they just visited..my home barely survived the dog onslaught...hahaha...good luck.

13. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, they brough addie over to my house one night without warning me. apparently Addie loves cats so they thought she would get along great with my room mates cats. wrong. it was like WWIII in my living room. 125lb dog desperately trying to get away from two insane balls of fur with claws. needless to say i had to clean alot of shit up that night and throw some stuff away.

14. Apr 21, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    mbtex

mbtex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pearland Texas
    Vehicle:
    I've read 7-10 years. Both of mines parents lived to about 10 years also.

15. Apr 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    oh ok, i stand corrected then. either way i knew it was significantly less than most smaller breeds

16. Apr 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    my next pair of dogs are great danes.they are awesome. right now i have 2 gay yorkies

17. Apr 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    Lane Cypert

Lane Cypert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 silver prerunner double cab TRD
    I had a Great Dane named Atlas that was the best dog I have ever owned! My mom currently has a female that is 8 years old. They are great dogs and definitely couch potatoes! They are a great breed!

18. Apr 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    blackwatertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Thanks for the info ya'll...I talked to my GF about getting a new dog, She said I'd have to wait a few months...I still want one really really bad. Everytime I see a commerical or a dane in the neighboorhood, I just fall in love with it...LOL

Ya Michael, I still got your ##...I'll talk to you about it Sunday. I sure hope you bring your dog.

19. Apr 21, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    Anathollo

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    alright cool. Yeah me too. I just don't know how he'll do all day in my truck.

20. Apr 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    blackwatertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    This ones nice...http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16206358 It was on savethedane.org. My problem is I don't want to get attached to an old Dane, They she'll die in a few years...That will be a major heartbreak.

Products Discussed in

To Top