Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

planning a trip to boston, any advice?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
planning a trip to boston, any advice?

ok so being the big boston red sox fan that i am, im trying to plan a weekend vacation up there on june 18-20 to see them play. does anyone from up around there have any advice on any specific restaraunts to eat at, places to visit, etc? by the way, im gonna make the 13 hour drive
Old 04-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
bruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant future
Navy: ET1
Name: Scott
bruinsrme's Tacoma Gallery
DO NOT DRIVE IN BOSTON!!!!!!!! take the T (MBTA) http://mbta.com/ parking is crazy, pick up a charlie pass and take the T to get around.

Where are you staying?

Coffee - there is a dunkin donuts every where you look

Game Day Boston Beer Works - right next to fenway get there early tho.

Take a duck boat tour, visit faneuil hall/quincy market, Boston commons, Bull and Finch Pub (Cheers),

Seafood?
Italian?
Steak?

The legal seafood in Boston is head and shoulders above the ones outside of boston. Seafood here is very expensive. http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ants+in+boston
For italian there are many places in the North End. Its a unique area with lots of great food. Save dessert for Mikes on Hanover st.
Steak, some very very good steak places. But they aren't cheap. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...boston&gs_rfai=

Anthonys pier 4
Mortons Steak
Flemings steak
Fire and Ice
legal Seafood

My friends have raved about this place.
Umbria Prime
295 Franklin St. Boston, MA 02110

Italian
La Summa 30 Fleet Street
Boston, MA 02113
Tel 617-523-9503
huge portions, small quaint setting, if you don't see it on the menu ask, house wine is delicious

dessert
http://www.mikespastry.com/

If you choose any of these places you may want to visit opentable.com for a reservation.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Fed Taco will become famous soon enough

Name: Cale
Fed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've been told you have to go to mike's pastries. I went when I was in boston and it was pretty good. All the TSA people tried to take them from me when I flew out.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
bruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant future
Navy: ET1
Name: Scott
bruinsrme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Taco View Post
I've been told you have to go to mike's pastries. I went when I was in boston and it was pretty good. All the TSA people tried to take them from me when I flew out.
Yes it is a must!!! Canolli heaven
Old 04-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
delscorcho is on a distinguished road

delscorcho's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, do not drive in Boston. I went about 6 years ago and had a great time. Did the tourist things like the Duck tours, Faneuil hall, a few beers at the Bull and Finch, historic walking tour (can't remember what it was called), visited some graveyards, etc.

Oh, if you have time you should check out the Sam Adams brewery. They give you pitcher after pitcher of samples we couldn't finish it all. We walked out of there hammered.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Dogs n Trucks
Tadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant future

Marines: CWO2, 9th Marines
Name: Pete
Tadcaster's Tacoma Gallery
Has anybody warned you not to drive in Boston? IMO it's home of the most aggressive drivers on the planet!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Anthony's Pier 4 sucks...tourist trap. For seafood, Legal Seafoods only and forget the rest.

For some GREAT Tapas and good wine = http://www.dalirestaurant.com/

Places to see...

Boston waterfront starting at the Long Wharf Marriott. There are cruise boats, New England Aquarium, Boston Harbor Hotel, Federal Courthouse, Fanueil Hall Marketplace, Government Center, and the North End all with in walking distance. You can take a boat cruise to many of the 26 harbor islands, whale watching, etc.

Head a little further south into "Southie" to Castle Island and Fort Independence. Great place to walk around and see much of Boston Harbor and the airport from across the bay. A little further south again and you're on the U Mass Boston Campus and the JFK Library.

Or, head uptown to Copley Square area. Copley Square Mall, Prudential Center, Newbury Street shopping, Boston Public Library, museums, Christian Science Mother church, etc.

Head over the Mass Ave. bridge into Cambridge where you will first come across the MIT campus and then continue into Harvard Square and home of Harvard University. On weekend nights, lots of people, shops, and street entertainment in the square.

...to name a few.

Edit - Big Dig's over. Traffic is not half as bad. You'll survive but parking is $$$.

EDIT AGAIN....Do not go south/west of Huntington Ave., at least, not on foot.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
Take a drive to Glouchester (sp) and get lobbies right off the boat.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
don't forget about Oyster Union
Old 04-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i drive in boston all the time, i would drive in and just park where you are going to stay overnight.

b4 the game go to the "greatest bar" its on friend st off causeway. great pre-game atmosphere.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
beetlejuice2275 will become famous soon enough

Name: Reximus
beetlejuice2275's Tacoma Gallery
wear a yankee hat
Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice2275 View Post
wear a yankee hat
while walking through South Boston........

Also don't forget about Who's on First
Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice2275 View Post
wear a yankee hat
im a member of red sox nation, have a red sox tattoo...ill be dead before i put on a yankee hat!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
i would just park where your staying overnight. and take the T from there. Game on is a good bar before hand.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #15
beetlejuice2275 will become famous soon enough

Name: Reximus
beetlejuice2275's Tacoma Gallery
lol
Old 04-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #16
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
As said do not drive there it will ruin the experience. I do everything I can to dodge driving in the greater Boston area. Even an hour away the driving can still be insane. Within an hour of the city I get ready to nearly get side-swiped by people just breezing through lanes or cutting me off.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
Pyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Bill
Pyriteship's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadcaster View Post
Has anybody warned you not to drive in Boston? IMO it's home of the most aggressive drivers on the planet!
IMHO NJ drivers own that reputation. Went through NJ last year on my scoot, and in my 20 years of riding, I was never in so much fear for my life.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
the Sams Adams brewery tour is fun. take the subway everywhere. bring good walking shoes. the beer is overpriced. the best bar i found was Warren Tavern just north of Boston in Charlestown. it's within walking distance of the USS Consitution and Bunker Hill.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #19
DOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud of

Army: Military Police
Name: Jordan
DOERanger's Tacoma Gallery
Hit McGreevy's Irish Pub and Sports Bar. Good Irish food, great Boston influenced punk music, owned by most members of Dropkick Murpheys. A++
Old 05-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #20

so i found a hotel off boston street, the courtyard by marriott. it says its about 3 miles from fenway. does anybody have an opinion about this? can i ride a subway/train to the stadium from there? take a cab maybe so i dont have to drive?