Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Crate training our puppy, got a question or two...

Old 04-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Crate training our puppy, got a question or two...

We just started crate training our 2 month old puppy about a week ago and I just had a few questions to make sure we're going in the right direction.

Obviously, he hates it in there. He whines and cries and tries to dig his way out. We try to leave him in his crate for anywhere between 1 and 3 hours right now. When we come back home, we wait until he settles down then let him out and take him straight outside to pee/poop. The only part that is somewhat confusing is that his chest and front paws are wet when we let him out. His back paws and rear end are dry as a bone...if he's peeing in the crate, wouldn't his back paws be wet? And is this something that he'll grow out of the more often he's in his crate?

Also, anybody know where I can get a ticking alarm clock? My uncle suggested setting a ticking alarm clock in his crate to simulate the heartbeat of a littermate. Anybody have experience in that either?

Any other suggestions to help house/crate train our pup are always welcome!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
For that ticking sound- Try a music store for a metronome. Clicks really rhythmically and can be set at different speeds.
I think your dog might be nervous licking...He'll just sit there and lick himself non stop until you come home. I'd recommend taking and old blanket or sweater of yours and putting it in there with him.

What size is your dog and what size is the crate?? If you can block off part of the crate so it's a smaller space it tends to make them more comfortable.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

He's about 2 feet tall at his nose, and the crate is built for dogs up to 23". The crate isn't big enough for him to wander, but still large enough for him to lay down.

Part of me thinks that he's just so young and not used to being alone for long periods of time. Does that sound right?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
www.saveadane.org
Anathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anathollo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
We just started crate training our 2 month old puppy about a week ago and I just had a few questions to make sure we're going in the right direction.

Obviously, he hates it in there. He whines and cries and tries to dig his way out. We try to leave him in his crate for anywhere between 1 and 3 hours right now. When we come back home, we wait until he settles down then let him out and take him straight outside to pee/poop. The only part that is somewhat confusing is that his chest and front paws are wet when we let him out. His back paws and rear end are dry as a bone...if he's peeing in the crate, wouldn't his back paws be wet? And is this something that he'll grow out of the more often he's in his crate?

Also, anybody know where I can get a ticking alarm clock? My uncle suggested setting a ticking alarm clock in his crate to simulate the heartbeat of a littermate. Anybody have experience in that either?

Any other suggestions to help house/crate train our pup are always welcome!
Sounds like separation anxiety..leave the radio or tv on low setting to have some background noise when you leave.
Also make it extremely comfortable in the crate(i.e pillows, blankets) and one of the most important things is to cover the entire crate with a blanket and make it a cacoon for them.
If you do all of this, overtime the puppy will get to used to the crate and consider it his home! It takes time to accumulate them to their new settings but it's worth it!
And get in the habit of taking your puppy out before you leave and letting him/her pee so that way they'll be good to go! This helps out a lot!

and it sounds like the puppy is sweating and thats why he's wet...
Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
I think if you give it time and don't give in to the whining it will all turn out well
Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathollo View Post
Sounds like separation anxiety..leave the radio or tv on low setting to have some background noise when you leave.
Also make it extremely comfortable in the crate(i.e pillows, blankets) and one of the most important things is to cover the entire crate with a blanket and make it a cacoon for them.
If you do all of this, overtime the puppy will get to used to the crate and consider it his home! It takes time to accumulate them to their new settings but it's worth it!
And get in the habit of taking your puppy out before you leave and letting him/her pee so that way they'll be good to go! This helps out a lot!

and it sounds like the puppy is sweating and thats why he's wet...
When you say to cover the crate, does that include the gate? I've thought about covering it, but I didn't know if that would scare him even more than just being left alone.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I think if you give it time and don't give in to the whining it will all turn out well
That's what I'm hoping too. We try to ignore him when he whines in the crate and we wait until he settles down to let him out.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
regcab4x4 is a splendid one to beholdregcab4x4 is a splendid one to beholdregcab4x4 is a splendid one to beholdregcab4x4 is a splendid one to beholdregcab4x4 is a splendid one to beholdregcab4x4 is a splendid one to beholdregcab4x4 is a splendid one to behold
regcab4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
For that ticking sound- Try a music store for a metronome. Clicks really rhythmically and can be set at different speeds.
I think your dog might be nervous licking...He'll just sit there and lick himself non stop until you come home. I'd recommend taking and old blanket or sweater of yours and putting it in there with him.

What size is your dog and what size is the crate?? If you can block off part of the crate so it's a smaller space it tends to make them more comfortable.
yup. also, when you leave or come home don't make a huge deal calling his name and talking to him... just open it up and take him directly outside. when you leave just put him in there and go.
they adjust... sounds mean but you gotta do it or you'll have a giant uncontrollable beast haha.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
Silver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud of

Name: Joe
Silver 10's Tacoma Gallery
another key to getting that pup very comfortable with his/her cage is to make sure you feed them in it every time. That way it has a positive view of the cage and under no circumstances do you ever use the cage a spot to put them for disciplinary reasons. The food trick is magic put the bowl in the back of the cage so they have to go all the way in. They may be hesitant or not go in and eat at all but puppies get hungry and will go eventually. I have always crate trained and my dogs just go in there to hang out it is there comfort zone. My now wife had a dog that never used a cage and trust me he is not the smartest dog and wouldnt go in the cage. Started feeding him in there and now he is fine and loves it. Good luck
Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
not gonna be much help but my dog also whined and did what your talking about. took about 4-5 months id say for her to grow out of it. im sure its just separation anxiety. like the others said. put an old towel or something down so that your smell is there. maybe even try to get something the breeder/ kennel had in the crate with the pup.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
Dogs n Trucks
Tadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant future

Marines: CWO2, 9th Marines
Name: Pete
Tadcaster's Tacoma Gallery
Silver 10 is right on! Never, ever use the crate for time outs or punishment. Also make sure there is something interesting inside to play with. We use a Kong with a dab of peanut butter inside.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like your getting lots of replies with good info. I have crate trained several dogs. A couple of things I did to start.
  • Initially, putting the dog in the crate for short periods of time. The key to this was put him/her in the crate till they quiet. It might take 5 minutes, it might take 20 minutes. Also, putting them in another room where you can see each other directly decreases both your and his anxiety.
  • Upon removal from the crate, lavish with praise "you want them to think this is a good thing".
  • An immediate snack or even meal time shortly after removal. This makes them think if I do this I get a great reward.
  • Always, end this when possible on a good note.

Eventually the goal is for this to be a safe place, with lots of fun and rewards for doing a good job. Even when he/she does something wrong if done right this can be the pets safety zone. "If I go in my crate I won't get in any more trouble".
Remember, don't punish the dog for something and then immediately stick them in the crate. They will associate this behavior quickly.
Short periods of time to start. Even when your home. Just before a meal.
Might even consider taking the dog for rides in the truck (in the crate).

The wet front end is probably drool as the dog is very stressed. Following some of the items above will lessen/minimize this too.

Just my thoughts. Ken
Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Bourbon

Thanks for all the tips and replies. Everything y'all have said makes complete sense
Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
mxracer244 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mxracer244's Tacoma Gallery
Many of the comments posted here are spot on. I also had a puppy that had the same problems you are experiencing. Here is what we were told to do, and it was successful. Sorry if some are repeats from earlier posts.

1. Make the cage/crate as small as possible. This makes them feel more comfortable because they don't feel "lost" in a huge place. Use boxes or whatever you need to take up the extra space. Make it the space the same size as the dog, no bigger.
2. Place a noise maker nearby. A heartbeat is a good noise to use because it mimics their moms heartbeat.
3. Never place food/water in the cage.
4. Never use the cage/kennel for discipline issues. They should feel safe, not for being punished.
5. During the day, put their toys in the cage and have them go in and get it and allow them to come out. Repeat this throughout the day to make it feel like a place to play.
6. Leave them in the cage after they whimper. Don't rescue them after 5-10 minutes. They will be okay in there. If you rescue them too soon, they know that the whimpering will work, which defeats the purpose.
7. Cover the crate with a towel.
8. Put the crate in an area that is away from people. In other words, don't put the crate in the living room and then stay in the same room and watch TV.

Hope some of these ideas work! Post some pics!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #16
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
I didn't read through all the threads but I did see people say when the pup whines ignore him. That is the best way. Dogs are smart and will figure out that if they whine and you come to their needs, you will have a whinny dog for the next 15 years. I always ignored my pup when she was in the crate. She eventually learns that no matter how much she whines I do not come to the crate. Also you have to make the crate fun for them. When you take the pup out to play, play around the crate. Put treats in there. Feed your dog in the crate. When he is not whining go to the crate and give him a treat and say "Good Boy". NEVER punish your dog in the crate or when he does something bad put him in the crate. Because he is young do not expect to keep him in there for long hours. After a while you will be able to take your pup wheeling like I do...cause she loves the crate. Good Luck

This is how Dina rolls

Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I think you need the dog whisperer. Lol. Sounds like you got alot of good feedback. My dog hated the crate. When he was a puppy, I would leave the crate door open when I was home, and the little shit went in there to nap.
Attached Thumbnails
Crate training our puppy, got a question or two...-zeus.jpg  
Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Taco View Post
I think you need the dog whisperer. Lol. Sounds like you got alot of good feedback. My dog hated the crate. When he was a puppy, I would leave the crate door open when I was home, and the little shit went in there to nap.
Dogs are Den animals so they find a "den" like place to rest...they feel more secure that way. You always find your dog napping in the corner, but rarely in the middle of an open space.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
If he likes to retrieve, throw his toy in there and he will go to get the toy and learn the crate isn't a bad place.

Ditto on feeding the pup in there. Ollie used to hate hers, but after "having" to eat in there, she quickly got used to it and started spending alot of her time in there on her own.

As for the blankets/tshirts DO NOT put them in there if your pup chews on them. If he doesn't then it's ok. Make sure he has "safe" toys to play with. He will quickly learn that he can chew on his toys or sleep.

Wait to take him out until he is quiet.

As others have said, put him in the cage and walk away. Just tell him "kennel" or whatever you want to, put him in, close the door and walk away. My second pup was spoiled - she'd get a cookie whenever I'd put her in there. (got in the habit a long time ago with my other dog and can't only give one a cookie )

I never covered the crate. Don't know what the purpose is, since mine were only put in there at night and when I went out.

Don't leave him in there so long that he'll have to relieve himself (always have him go before being put away and as soon as being let out) a 2 mo old pup should be able to "hold it" about 3 hours.

Leave a radio on - sounds like he has separation anxiety. Wal mart has wind up alarm clocks.

Don't give in to the whining.

Sounds like you are headed the right direction. Best of luck to you
Old 04-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Don't feed or water your pup in the crate. This includes flip chips as they can cause choking problems.
Also, if you cover make sure the front has sufficient air. Dogs put off their share of heat and you don't want to deal with a dog with overheating issues.