LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Portable Evaporative Coolers

Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
doug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of light

doug355r's Tacoma Gallery
Portable Evaporative Coolers

I want to get a small portable Evap cooler that pushes about 500cfm and can run for about 8 hours a day and can possibly plug into a hose. I'm guessing that some of you have experience with these so I figued I'd ask here first.

EDIT to add: something similar to this:
http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-...atalogId=10053
Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
What are you going to do with it?
I am gonna guess cool air???

LOL J/K

I would also like to know how well they work
Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
By "hook up to a hose" you mean "water-cooled" I am assuming? They work very well. However, running a water-cooled unit for 8 hours is going to be pretty wasteful.

Another name for these is "spot-coolers". It might be easier for you to google them that way.

Whats the application? If you're planning on leaving them in one area like garage or something and running them on a daily basis I would recommend you go with a ductless split system, like the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim. I think you would be happier with the efficiency of the ductless than just having a jamming spot cooler running all day.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
doug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of light

I will be using it for outside. My patio is partially closed and my dog will be outside all day. The reason I want a small unit is that is only takes about .6 amps and 60 watts to run. So its only like having a light bulb on all day. Basically an outdoor swamp cooler.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Wow that sounds like a very efficient cooler! Should work good. Your dog will be very grateful.

They are, my buddy just got one for his house so he doesn't have to use the AC yet. But it only has a 2 gal reservoir so I'm guessing i can only get a few hours out of it before it runs out of water. Then if I'm not home to fill it up the pump will just burn up. Hence why I want one that I can hook up the garden hose to.

Maybe I'll just buy the small one and modify it myself...
Old 04-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug355r View Post
I will be using it for outside. My patio is partially closed and my dog will be outside all day. The reason I want a small unit is that is only takes about .6 amps and 60 watts to run. So its only like having a light bulb on all day. Basically an outdoor swamp cooler.
Why not just train your dog to stay in the house? or get a doggie door? probably cheaper than cooling your porch.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Why not just train your dog to stay in the house? or get a doggie door? probably cheaper than cooling your porch.
Since I'm in AZ i don't' want all the cool air from inside being able to go out side. A doggy door would be like leaving a window open during the summer. I already get an electric bill of $300 a month in the summer. Also my dog is a 100lb rottie. Any doggy door I get, a person could fit through. Granted if I saw a 100lb rottie, I would stay away from that house. But she is just a sweetheart and would never hurt anyone so i don't want to take that chance.

I might be able to leave her inside but I have no idea how she would do.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They are, my buddy just got one for his house so he doesn't have to use the AC yet. But it only has a 2 gal reservoir so I'm guessing i can only get a few hours out of it before it runs out of water. Then if I'm not home to fill it up the pump will just burn up. Hence why I want one that I can hook up the garden hose to.

Maybe I'll just buy the small one and modify it myself...
I read the specs on the link you provided and it is equipped with pump burn-out protection so it wont be damaged if it runs out of water.

Hell maybe you could mod it to make a better reservoir if you need to.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Since I'm in AZ i don't' want all the cool air from inside being able to go out side. A doggy door would be like leaving a window open during the summer. I already get an electric bill of $300 a month in the summer. Also my dog is a 100lb rottie. Any doggy door I get, a person could fit through. Granted if I saw a 100lb rottie, I would stay away from that house. But she is just a sweetheart and would never hurt anyone so i don't want to take that chance.

I might be able to leave her inside but I have no idea how she would do.
I started leaving my golden retriever alone small amounts at a time. Started by leaving him in the bedroom for a few hours, then stretched the time out. Then let him in the house with all the doors closed, starting out for short time spans. Now he just roams the house freely..although he mainly just sleeps on the couch all day while i'm at work. Does your rotti have any seperation anxiety?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
I started leaving my golden retriever alone small amounts at a time. Started by leaving him in the bedroom for a few hours, then stretched the time out. Then let him in the house with all the doors closed, starting out for short time spans. Now he just roams the house freely..although he mainly just sleeps on the couch all day while i'm at work. Does your rotti have any seperation anxiety?

I don't think she has any separation anxiety. She is super happy to see me when I get home but she's a lazy ass dog so I think she would just sleep all day anyway. Maybe I'll give leaving her inside a try sometime this week to see how she does.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #13

Quote:
I don't think she has any separation anxiety. She is super happy to see me when I get home but she's a lazy ass dog so I think she would just sleep all day anyway. Maybe I'll give leaving her inside a try sometime this week to see how she does.
as long as she doesn't have seperation anxiety you should be ok. Just start leaving her for short periods...then keep stretching the time out until you are confident she will be ok for long periods of time. Mine was kennel trained till he was about 1.5 years old. then we started letting him out in the house once we knew we could trust him not to tear things up.

The only thing I have to do is not leave any food out on the counter and the trash can is closed in the pantry. Mine will jump up on the counter. I have left loafs of bread out by accident and come home from work to find the wrapper on the floor and the loaf of bread gone