Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Diesel or a Tacoma

Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
countryboy22 is on a distinguished road
countryboy22's Tacoma Gallery
Diesel or a Tacoma

I have a bad itch right now i want to sale the tacoma and get a diesel. but not sure if its the best choice. I love the power and ability of diesels but i also love my tacoma i wish i could have both. Lets here some input anyone ever felt of currently feel this way?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
do you ABSOLUTELY need a diesel? if your hauling heavy equipment (not fat chicks) all the time... i could see the need... but it wouldnt make sense if the heaviest load is going to be a few bags of mulch here and there.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Those Duramax's

But what do you really need the power and extra space for? thats what stoped me...well not really but ya
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
well i plan to eventually get a nice toy hauler. And i also would be hauling some heavy equipment here and there (bobcat, backhoe).
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
ya i hear ya those new duramax's are bad a$$.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've been thinking the same thing about a bigger truck, either a Crewmax Tundra 5.7L, or a quad cab short bed Dodge Cummins. I only need the extra ability once in a while, but it would be really nice to have more interior space along with it. A properly built cummins would be awesome IMO, but it would be a major PITA to park around town in the parking lots and at college every day.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Ya if i was to get a diesel i would be tossed between the duramax or cummins. if i got a duramax it would be auto for sure. if it were a dodge i would like an auto but would definately have to build up the tranny. but wouldn mind a manual cummins.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
what did I miss?
skunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudi
skunk's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on towing frequently then a diesel is hands down the best!

I just made the switch from an f250 6.0L and I miss it dearly but I could no longer justify it as an expense.

Oil changes were 15 qts, fuel filters...... If you take care of them they run forever but I just got tired of the noise. Newer diesels are incredible quiet nowadays though. It was a work horse that
I wasn't workin.

If your plan is to go over the top huge rig, a diesel is the ultimate power plant for big tires. And they get relatively good mileage for their size. About the same as a stock Tacoma.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
what did I miss?
skunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedskunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudi
skunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
A properly built cummins would be awesome IMO, but it would be a major PITA to park around town in the parking lots and at college every day.
x2

parking is always a challenge.....
Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you are hauling heavy equipment I say diesel but if not TACOMA BABY!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
ya that is the down side they are a much bigger expense.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As far as heavy equipment and towing, I've towed this stuff with my taco:

I know a Tacoma is no substitute for a diesel heavy duty truck but they can work quite well for their size.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
how big of camp trailer do you think i could safely pull with my truck. maybe a 22 foot lite.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy22 View Post
how big of camp trailer do you think i could safely pull with my truck. maybe a 22 foot lite.
Check out some of the campers guys are towing in the "show us what you tow" thread!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy22 View Post
there was a guy on here a while back that was asking about towing his 24 ft lite ( i think... something like that) from canada to vegas. sounded like he towed it around his area no problem. trailer brakes would be a must...
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
ok will do