1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nashville Flood: No looting, riots or bullshiz

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Packman73, May 19, 2010.

1. May 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    I feel sorry for the people of Tennessee and New Orleans, but comparing the Nashville flood to Katrina is like comparing a Lexus to a Kia, they are in completely different realms of disasters. Katrina displaced more than a million people. Nashville was reported at 2,000 people being displaced. Katrina killed more than 1,800, Nashville was 29. Oh and regarding welfare people, Tennessee actually has more people on welfare and food stamps than Louisiana. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/01/25/us/20090126-welfare-table.html

I feel sorry for the people that lost their homes and lives, but bashing on Louisiana with incorrect information is not fair.

2. May 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Amen brother.

3. May 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    GA_TACO4x4

GA_TACO4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    marathon superhide max-4 seat covers, weathertechs, maglite mod, 20% tint, 2" leveling kit, leaf spring tsb.
    think he was talking bout Katrina and the oil spill in the Gulf?

4. May 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    :spy:

5. May 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    I'm sure it also had absolutely nothing to do with population density:

(N.O. -- 2,684.3 people/sq mile* / Nashville -- 1,152.6 people/sq mile)

Or per capita income:

(N.O. -- $17,258* / Nashville -- $22,018)

Nope. Pretty sure less people spread over more land but with more money had absolutely nothing to do with the lack of assistance claims. None at all.

Oh -- and that slight problem of about x1000 tons of water, destruction area, loss of life and property in New Orleans as opposed to Nashville.** I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with claims, either...

*Pre-Katrina levels

**I'm obviously just speculating on the amount of water/damage/loss of life. In any case, it was a damn sight lot more than Nashville.

6. May 19, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    09prerunMH

09prerunMH New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mboro TN
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    I live here in Murfreesboro TN and work in Nashville. I have heard of 1 case where there was looting. Thanks for posting that vid PackerfanXD. Majority of the areas hit hard haven't flooded in 100's of years if ever to this extent. Its not a yearly thing. We didn't have a warning, we were only told to expect rain. People who live miles from any bodies of water lost everything. In a matter of hours homes were under water. I'm not going to compare the Nashville flood to Katrina because they were two different events and both were very tragic. I don't care how many people/sq mile, foodstamps or welfare...... I love Nashville and the state of TN! Thanks to everyone that has shown support!

7. May 19, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Not to mention this isn't the first time that Tennessee has flooded. It's a nearly yearly thing. The damage done to NOLA was not a "regular" occurrence.

8. May 19, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Hell ya Packer!!! You and I think alike.

9. May 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    So True. +1

10. May 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Im pretty sure amount of flooding experienced by Tennessee recently is not a "yearly" occurrence. While the damage done to New Orleans might not have been "regular" New Orleans is below sea level, near the coast, in a place known to be hit by hurricanes...I'm sure no one could have predicted it...

11. May 19, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    i wish everything would be like this. but i know damn good and well that will never happen... too many greedy, welfare, blah blah blah, bastards out there always trying to get money and find somethings to bitch about.

sucks about the floods, hopefully they can get everything back to normal in a reasonable time. kudos to the people for getting along.

12. May 19, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    Resmondo

Resmondo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Perdido Key, Fl
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 4X4 purple, lifted, and sexy
    Arb Bull Bar, Trailmaster 6" lift with 16"weld rims wrapped in 36 tls radials, Salt life sticker, spacer lift front, 9-10" total front
    Does anyone remember hurricane Ivan? In the panhandle?? Well it was a high cat 4 low cat 5 hurricane and it hit Pensacola, Fl. It was like that....We survived on our own for like 2 weeks. No anything but family and peacefulness.... I live on the intercoastal and got probably the second worst winds the storm gave.....there is a barrier island in fromt of me. ha. We got the east wall of it (worst). Glad to know other Americans can be responsible and actually survive nowadays even in the worst conditions possible.

13. May 19, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i survived Hurricane Hugo....just sayin :laugh:

14. May 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    91Toyotabogger

91Toyotabogger "Loud Tires Can Save Lives"

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    91 4wd 5sp manual Pickup Standard cab white
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    Im glad you brought this up, I Agree 110%, but be careful bashing NO, people get mad at you quick.

15. May 20, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If you'll look at what you quoted- I said nearly yearly. There is flooding every year thru the Mississippi corridor to varying degrees.

And yes- It could have been predicted that a bad storm would do bad things in NOLA- just like it can be predicted that bad things can happen to your whole state, that fault line things and earthquakes thing.

Are the people who are milking the system leeches- Yes, and they are everywhere. I'm glad that folks up in Tenn can/are banding together and taking care of their business. Does that mean New Orleans is a horrible place that deserved Katrina?? EFF NO.

16. May 20, 2010 at 4:52 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    I'm not surprised, Nashville is a good city!

17. May 20, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    schus21

schus21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport DC
    Great post! Everyone out there is either a dog or a tick (giver or taker) and it is good to see a community of givers fight through a disaster together. Thanks for the video.

18. May 20, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I think part of the reason it wasn't any worse is because of the series of dams operated by the Army Corp of Eng. They were built to control floodwaters that would happen often along the rivers here. I'd say they did they're job as well as could be expected. Too bad they're going to be investigated to see if they did what they were supposed to do.

19. May 20, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    erion109

erion109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT
    Weathertech FR & RR, DDM Tuning HID 55W 5000k Bi-Xenon, ARE topper, Yellow painted fog-lamp mod, anytime fog-lamp, Ipod interface, Red Top OPTIMA, Bilstein 5100s and 1.5 Toytech AAL, Redline Hoodstruts and EZdown tailgate.
    Wow! I've never seen so much fighting about who had the worst disaster and who has handled it the best. Cant we all just get along. :)

Hands down disaster sucks and most of us have experienced first hand. Let's just say that I'm proud to be a Tennessean and an American.

Products Discussed in

To Top