1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interview

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Johnsono49, May 23, 2010.

1. May 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    Johnsono49

Johnsono49 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Crewcab SR5 TRD 4x4
    Custom Front Bumper and skid plate from RLC Weld and Fab, Turn Signal Mod, PIAA Driving Lights, Leer Bed Cap, Bilstein 5100's Front (1.75") and Rear, ToyTec 2" add-a-leafs, 3" Deck Plate Mod
    Getting ready to have some interviews for big kid jobs. Mostly big general contracting construction firms. Suggestions on what to where, what questions to be ready to answer, what questions to ask, etc...

Any help would be great.

2. May 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Dress for the job you're interviewing for, if not slightly better. No suits for an outside job, etc. Usually be ready for questions regarding your leadership ability, motivation, and strengths/weaknesses. Do not ask too general of questions about the company, as most interviewers expect you to at least know what the company does, is about, etc. However, more detailed questions are OK. Others can add more.

3. May 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Show your interest in the company and what it is about. Most importantly, presentation of yourself should be taken as a high priority

4. May 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    all the above are really good advice. its important to understand that a company wants to know how you can add value for their operations, so really sell yourself on points like you are determined to satisfy your employer and you will act towards to overall benefit of the firm over your personal career advancement. Companies eat that shit up, and they are always looking for loyal employees

5. May 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    Johnsono49

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Crewcab SR5 TRD 4x4
    Custom Front Bumper and skid plate from RLC Weld and Fab, Turn Signal Mod, PIAA Driving Lights, Leer Bed Cap, Bilstein 5100's Front (1.75") and Rear, ToyTec 2" add-a-leafs, 3" Deck Plate Mod
    Thanks for the advice guys. Interview on Thursday, I'll let you know how it goes.

6. May 25, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Make sure your, in a manor of speaking, interviewing them as well. Do your homework on the company and ask questions that lead to chit chat.

I have always worn shirt and tie to any interview that counts. You cant go wrong being dressed sharp...... unless your nick name is:
    [​IMG]

:D no worries man you got it!

7. May 25, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    This ^

Do your research on the company before you go in. Find them online if you can and try to make up some questions from the information you know. Things like, "When I was researching the company I noticed (Insert fact here), and I was wondering (insert question here)." Just don't make it anything silly/stupid. Companies like to know that you did your homework and know a little bit about them. The more you know about the company, the more interested you seem to be in the job.

EDIT: Dark Knight beat me to it.

8. May 25, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    big construction? engineering side or actual construction side?

great advice so far. take a look at what jobs the company is already doing. research it a bit. i got my engineering job by researching what the government at the time was doing. they just released some bill that opened up some money for transportation. i knew i got the gig, when the interviewer gave me a window to bring it up.

9. May 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Don't be a doofus, but at the same time, try to be light hearted in your attitude. Companies like to hire someone that they know can 'hang' with them, and not JUST be a good employee. If you are all tense and nervous, so will they be.
    If you notice a pic of the boss's Tacoma, compliment it, a pic of him fishing, tell him that you like to fish also BUT ONLY if that is true. In other words, look for common ground.

Also, just keep telling yourself that getting this job is not the end of the world, and BELIEVE it. You want to sell your strong points, but not come off as desperate.

Finally, if things go bad, review the interview in your head to determine what went wrong, and learn from that. There will always be another interview with another company, so don't beat yourself up if things go bad.

10. Jun 1, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    Johnsono49

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Crewcab SR5 TRD 4x4

11. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    Johnsono49

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Crewcab SR5 TRD 4x4
    Finally heard back from a company from Nashville, they have my resume on file and will notify me if any positions open up in the future. So, I got a big fat no on this one, hopefully something will open up sooner than later.

Products Discussed in

To Top