1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backlash for buying a big truck?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by hiphopcr, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 26, 2008 at 2:49 PM
    hiphopcr

hiphopcr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Grey TRD Pro
    I was on another board (videogames and stuff) and a thread about the high gas prices came up, so I proudly posted a pic of my new Tacoma. Man, the backlash was ludicrous (at least to me). People were saying everything from it being impractical to saying that mobs will come after me to vandalize my truck.

Has anyone else experienced this type of backlash (on message boards or in real life)?

2. May 26, 2008 at 2:50 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Its just jealousy.....

3. May 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    Mobs? What kind of mobs? Are there gangs of hippies roaming around, sticking daisies in tailpipes that I don't know about? As long as I have a job of any kind, I will drive what I choose. Those others who lashed out at your choice of transport are probably the same people that drive around in their Priuses or Echos or Smarts with their noses so high in the air, they need a mirror on the bills of their caps so they can see the road.

4. May 26, 2008 at 3:08 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    damn man i just finished reading the backlash.... i didn't noticed the link the first time, those guys are really ignorants, thats why they criticize something they don't even know.....they are proud they buy hybrids, i don't know if this is in order, but I've hear you got to change that things battery pack and they not come cheap, also, doesn't that pollutes because of all the chemicals on the batteries? (maybe im wrong, if that so correct me please)

5. May 26, 2008 at 3:18 PM
    hiphopcr

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it's a lot of unfounded criticisms, so there really isn't anything to argue. Things like, "10 MPG", "fuel sucking", "gas guzzler", saying that "mobs" will be "slashing tires or breaking lights", and that Tacomas have poor storage space and are "too heavy to be practical in off road environment" just show they have no nothing about the vehicle.

6. May 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I like the first guy who compared buying his hybrid because he wants to help the U.S. decrease it's oil dependency. Really? I'd be willing to believe he bought it to decrease the amount he has to pay at the gas station, but any other reason sounds like a bandwagon reason to me.

Oh, and I haven't had any kind of backlash. I live in Texas, we still don't understand what life would be like if we didn't all have trucks.

7. May 26, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    hiphopcr

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Haha, I need to get out of California :)

Actually the Toyota Dealership said that 1 in 4 trucks sold in Southern California is a Toyota. I believe it, I see Tacomas and Tundras (but especially the former) everywhere.

8. May 26, 2008 at 3:31 PM
    TACOMAN22

TACOMAN22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    agoura hills
    Vehicle:
    Debadged TRD offroad, bhlm, black surround grill,
    K&N drop in air filter,flowmaster 40 series, blue interior neon, bhlm, color matched grill, alpine head unit w/ infinity reference series speakers, insane driver.....
    oh nooooo theyre gonna put a post it note on my window hahaha

9. May 26, 2008 at 3:32 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    WOW am I ever amazed at the absolute JEALOSY slobbering out of those forum pigs!!! Not one single positive comment to you or the truck. That's not the thing-these scum would be perfectly happy walking around in dirty earthmomma nightshirts like stupid little flowerchildren. God forbid you should take a little pride in your ride WHICH by the way most likely emits FAR less pollutants than the POS that yields them a couple miles more per gallon. I see arrogant lil snots like that all the time here in S.F.-SKATEBOARDERS AND CYCLISTS. Get out of that forum-you dont need em! (ALL IMO)

10. May 26, 2008 at 4:05 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I never got that, but I did have some union goons threaten me about buying American and how people like me were the source of Americas downfall, I looked them in the eyes and said that if anything was to happen to my truck, that I would hold them personally responsible and what ever they did I would do to them two-fold, all is well. :D

11. May 26, 2008 at 4:13 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Hey Jedi-I got the same crap along with the "chinese eyes" like I was some kind of 'sympathizer' and then I dropped the bomb on their ignorant asses; that it was 100% built in Fremont, Ca. by an all AMERICAN assembly crew....all is well here too:)

12. May 26, 2008 at 4:17 PM
    bauermike

bauermike Western Alliance

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08' Prerunner, Radiant Red
    Billet Grill
    What they dont realize is that some people need trucks, not that they just want to own one. Try driving a little hybrid car home here in Tucson, AZ during the Monsoon season when the washes poor water over the roads 3-4 ft deep. And that happens at every block your whole trip home. Id rather pay the extra money and be safe in a flood than to save some money on gas and get washed away. Plus... you wouldnt save any money when your $40,000 car gets filled with water, while I pass by in my $25,000 life saver!:)

13. May 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Myself being a Union member have been harassed by other members for Buying non-American. So, over a weekend a couple of friends and I got together with some calculators, paper, 2 computers, and more time that I liked. We found that LESS than $350.00 makes it to Japan when you buy a Tacoma. More than 85% of the purchase price stays in the U.S.A. and goes into American pockets. FORD. 55% of the purchase price goes to other countries. CHEVY. 40 to 60% Depending on what truck you buy, i.e., Duramax or Colorado, goes to other countries. Remember The duramax engine was a joint effort with Izuzu. They get paid from every one that sells. DODGE. 50 to 60% Depending on truck you buy, i.e., Cummins vs. Dakota, goes to other countries.
    IMHO, I thought Ford was the worst, as most of their trucks are made in Mexico. Even the larger fleet trucks like the F-450 and F-550. Dodge from what we discovered, seemed to split manufaturing between Mexico and Canada. :)

14. May 26, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    ............................................YAHTZEE:D Chrisdog you BADASS w/the factfinding man!

15. May 26, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    hiphopcr

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
  16. May 26, 2008 at 4:53 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Shane misspelled "grandiose." I don't trust people standing on soapboxes who can't spell.

17. May 26, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Thank you, Frank!

18. May 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Hey credit where it's due Chris:) Actually, I move that we have the guys make your above posting a STICKY because it's a real eye opener! LOTS of folks just dont realize these domestics are SO in bed with foreign builders and have been since the turn of the 80's (far as I know) IE-Mopar and Mitsubishi, Chevy and Isuzu, Ford and Mazda-it goes on-

19. May 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I dont know about making it a "sticky". I would want to go back and find my notes so I have the actual numbers. I was trying to pull these from memory. Toyota had closer to 95% staying in the states, and the big three actually had more going out! But I would need to back up my findings incase I were to be chalenged. Your right about the domestics in bed with all these forigen builders. Toyota has its partnerships as well, just not like the Domestics. An example would be the VVT-i system on the newer Tacomas and Toyota cars. It was developed by........insert drum roll here..........Yamaha!:eek: Which Toyota is now shareing with GMC. :)

20. May 26, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Yeah ther ya go and you got the Toyota Matrix and its twin the Pontiac Vibe:eek: so these yoyo's who dog us best shut it!!!!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top