Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Is the Confederate flag a symbol of racism?

View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag racist?
Yes. Always has been, always will be. 61 10.95%
No! Read a history book. 288 51.71%
Yes. Not in it's origins, but in todays world it is 151 27.11%
No. People be hatin'!! 57 10.23%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #221
Cwhitt09taco will become famous soon enoughCwhitt09taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cody
Cwhitt09taco's Tacoma Gallery
I flew my rebel flag on my last day of high school and everyone liked it included people who would say its racist.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #222
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E-4,UH-1 Door Gunner
Name: Brett
05 X-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigk View Post
But if you're talking about slavery.....you have to go further back than the Civil War

Sorry to you thin skinned folks.....it's funny...but it does show how far slavery has been going on.....don't blame the south on slavery.

My friend who got me the white flour t has that same one and she wares it all the time, and no one says anything
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #223
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Heritage not hate. I love the rebel flag, Im asian yeah, but Im sure as hell glad I was born and raised here in good ole' georgia.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #224
Bretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bret
Bretsuaz48's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 X-Runner View Post
My friend who got me the white flour t has that same one and she wares it all the time, and no one says anything
They may not say anything, but I am sure they think it. She sounds real classy.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #225
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
People who are offended at the mere sight of this flag are ignorant idiot racists themselves and are just looking for anything to incite others and keep racism alive. RACE MEANS GO REAL FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......and yes, there are flags involved with racing. They are just informational.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #226
Zombie Killer
High-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
High-Gear's Tacoma Gallery
If we are to associate the Confederate Flag with racism and slavery, we would also have to associate the Crucifix with racism and slavery. Many southern Christian Preachers used the bible and its instruction on how to keep slaves as their warrant for doing such in the south. "What was endorsed in the old testament, and not prohibited in the new can not be a sin." was one of the slogans of the time.

I grew up in New York, and moved to Alabama in the 7th grade. We studied the War of Northern Aggression in the 8th grade and had a black teacher. She was adamant that the southern states had a fundamental right to succeed and had lawfully created a sovereign nation which was invaded by the Union. The flag represents that.

To say the war was about ending slavery is a misnomer. Sure there were people who had that on their mind, but all one has to do is read the Emancipation Proclamation. This document did not free slaves, and gave the southern states a chance to keep their slaves if they sent representatives to congress within a certain amount of time. In effect "If you come back to the Union you can keep your slaves, but if you keep fighting we will free them!" So much for the great emancipator myth!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #227
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBawlzTaco View Post
Heritage not hate. I love the rebel flag, Im asian yeah, but Im sure as hell glad I was born and raised here in good ole' georgia.
lol...I think you're a bit confused...but that's all right
isn't Forsyth the Klan capital..??

having grown up in the south, not far from Forsyth, I've seen what heritage is. I've also had the opportunity to see other parts of the country. As far as Georgia is concerned, its a heritage thing and everyone is involved...in Virginia, it's a whole other vibe. It's almost as if there is a tension associated with the flag and it seems only those who aren't affluent claim to have heritage. There is a deep historical presence here in Virginia although its more of a new colony thing vs northerner or southerner. I might be off base but its the way I see it.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #228
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E-4,UH-1 Door Gunner
Name: Brett
05 X-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretsuaz48 View Post
They may not say anything, but I am sure they think it. She sounds real classy.

More in her little finger then you got in your whole body...
Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #229
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 X-Runner View Post
More in her little finger then you got in your whole body...
umad bro..??
Old 06-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #230
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
If the doughboy had no nazi symbols and no mustache and wasn't doing the stupid salute but had his fist in the air then maybe the shirt could be funny but still marginally inciteful to some. hitler and obama are a lot of things.........funny isn't one of them. PC is the worst joke phrase of the century, c'mon, politically correct? That hasn't made sense in forever nor does it now, especially now. As soon as I hear that phrase my response is FUCK OFF! Politically correct = totally INcorrect corrupt criminal scam artist double talkin hippocrit bullshit.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #231
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
The meaning of a symbol is in the eye of the beholder.

My interpretation of history is that both the flag and the civil war were not about slavery. At least initially.

However, both have become about slavery in many people's eyes. Which means that's how that symbol can be interpreted.

You use symbols at your own peril as you don't control anyone's intepretation of them.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #232
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thrangertaco View Post
ya know? im from newark born and bread...u make me ashamed to be east coast.east is the melting pot.. unless ur name is poccahontas or sitting bull , ur an immagrant too ... oops didnt mean to make u see reality
,oh wait yup i did. suck it up and drive on ranger!
I think he was just goofing around when he posted that,not to betaken too seriously,everybody needs to lighten up on what Race you are,I noticed that if your a minority its OK to sound off with pride about your background but if your White and say Im proud to be White it automatically offends certain people in the case of White Power you can over react,but when Black Panthers or Black Muslims speak out on the oppression of the White Devils they get appaulse and standing room only events from the same victims.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #233
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NraFan View Post
... I fly the flag in opposition to our government, not as a racist symbol. I know many fly it as pride from where they come from. So how do you feel?
It's not how you perceive the message, it's how others perceive it that matter. If the issues of racism so severely cloud the message you desire...why force it?

I think, if in need of a symbol of opposition the Gadsden flag say's it far more clearly and far more appropriately with far more power anyway.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #234
Go Braves!
blake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chazz Michael Michaels
blake1012's Tacoma Gallery
I , at one time had the confederate flag as part of my signature. To several people on here, I was automatically labeled a rascist. It pisses me off that I can't show support of something without being labeled. Even when people know absolutely nothing about me. It's bullshit.

People will always find something to bitch and complain about.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #235
I think therefore I'm a Democrat
Richman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Richman21's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think that in the beginning the flag was a symbol of racism, but has evolved to be one today, IMO. The flag started out as a symbol of unity for the southern states that were in favor of seceding from the US based on the fight for state rights for individuals to own slaves. So if the confederate flag represents the southern states history of where they have been, that place in history was on the side of fighting for their rights to own slaves which is a racist. As for other symbols representing racism, sure there are many, the one in discussion at this point is the confederate flag.
Quote:
The North was fighting to preserve the Union; the South was fighting for the right to secede and establish a nation that guaranteed a person's right to own slaves. For Frederick Douglass and the abolitionists, the war was a battle to end slavery.
http://www.history.rochester.edu/cla...ass/part4.html

Quote:
Victory for the North meant the end of the Confederacy and of slavery in the United States, and strengthened the role of the federal government. The social, political, economic and racial issues of the war decisively shaped the reconstruction era that lasted to 1877.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War
Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #236
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
It's not my favorite flag, but I think we all have to agree that some people do use it as a symbol of racism and it's those few people that ruin it for everyone else.
Agreed 100%.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #237
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
The south was fighting for their way of life. Kinda like we may have to do in the future.

http://12angrymen.wordpress.com/2007...federate-flag/
"The false notion that the Battle Flag must be a racist symbol is born of the mistaken belief that the Civil War was about slavery. This bit of propaganda has been repeated ever since President Lincoln and his political allies decided to “free the slaves” (in actuality Lincoln only freed those slaves in the Confederacy, slaves in Union states such as Maryland and West Virginia remained slaves). The truth, however, is plain to anyone who wishes to delve into the history, and the proof lies in the proposed Corwin Amendment of 1861. This amendment was proposed by Congressman Thomas Corwin (R) from Ohio and stated,
No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State."

I see no reason the flag should be banned here on this site. The truth is here on the site and in history books. I have 1 in my living room, if you feel its racial I suggest you go to this link and see what it is. Yet another example of how the constitution was left at the wayside.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #239
I think therefore I'm a Democrat
Richman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Richman21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
On November 6, 1860 Abraham Lincoln was elected President of the United States -- an event that outraged southern states. The Republican party had run on an anti-slavery platform, and many southerners felt that there was no longer a place for them in the Union. On December 20, 1860, South Carolina seceded. By Febrary 1, 1861, six more states -- Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas -- had split from the Union. The seceded states created the Confederate States of America and elected Jefferson Davis, a Mississippi Senator, as their provisional president.
Quote:
Finally, on April 18, 1865, the Civil War ended with the surrender of the Confederate army. 617,000 Americans had died in the war, approximately the same number as in all of America's other wars combined. Thousands had been injured. The southern landscape was devastated.

A new chapter in American history opened as the Thirteenth Amendment, passed in January of 1865, was implemented. It abolished slavery in the United States, and now, with the end of the war, four million African Americans were free. Thousands of former slaves travelled throughout the south, visiting or searching for loved ones from whom they had become separated. Harriet Jacobs was one who returned to her old home. Former slaveholders faced the bewildering fact of emancipation with everything from concern to rage to despair.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p2967.html

Quote:
The Fourteenth Amendment (Amendment XIV) to the United States Constitution was adopted after the Civil War as one of the Reconstruction Amendments on July 9, 1868.
The Fourteenth Amendment provides a broad definition of citizenship, overruling the decision in Dred Scott v. Sandford (1857), which held that slaves and their descendants were not citizens of the United States and were not entitled to Constitutional rights.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourtee...s_Constitution
Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #240
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam1234 View Post
FACT : The confederate flag was the symbol for the side of the war that wanted to continue slavery. FACT: That side LOST the war.

Why would you want to fly a flag for the losing side?

Funny how the Northerners still want to control the South. Now, they just do it with their masses. Kinda like a pack of rats.

Many would surely fly the flag to show their independence from the pack as well as their pride. Unfortunately, the negative connotations won't allow this in most cases.

We bow to your pressures.