Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Where to get a good machete?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Where to get a good machete?

Anybody know where to get a good machete? I've been looking around online, but it's hard to tell much from pictures.

I like the size and general design of this one. Honestly, I would prefer one that was stainless steel though. Also, I'm a little worried about the handle. What makes me think the handle is probably an issue is the fact it isn't stated as a full tang, and usually larger blades in that price range are not well fixed to the handle.

I like the Kukri design as it gives you a more versatile tool then the more traditional straight blades. I prefer full tang blades of any kind as they don't develop a wobble with use that can cause the blade to slip when your using it.

This would be going in my "oh ****" pack I'm putting together to leave in my truck.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Its Very hard to go wrong with cold steel, the tests they put their bldes through are tough, way beyond what most of us would ever consider using the blade for. Look at knifetest.com you may have to do some searching, but they should be on there.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
i just found out about that Cold Steel company. pretty sweet! I went to the website thinking they are super expensive... nope! very inexpensive!

as for me.. until now, I have always loved anything Gerber.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Cold steel makes really good stuff. I have the gerber machete and I like it a lot.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
I decided to go with the cold steel machete, though a smaller one then the one I posted above.
http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-97K...ef=pd_sim_sg_1
Easier to carry if I need to use the kit. Thanks for the info, especially the knife test stuff. That is one tough machete!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a gerber with a hand saw cut into the top edge, it comes in super handy
Old 06-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
Cold steel is where its at. The factory where they make and test a lot of their stuff is right down the street from me. They have HUGE knife/sword/machete sales a few times a year. I hit the last one and got 3 machetes for 8 bucks. I beat the crap out of the one i still have (gave the others to friends) and it still works great! Anyone in the Ventura LA area should come out to their next knife sale. You can get get a lot of knifes for CHEAP. (the warehouse is right next to ventura toyota )

here is a pic of it (the top one)
Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
When I need something cut I just use the edge of my hand...Judo CHOP!

Nice machetes though.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
sierra141 has a spectacular aura aboutsierra141 has a spectacular aura aboutsierra141 has a spectacular aura about
sierra141's Tacoma Gallery
Sog make really nice ones too
SOG.COM
Old 06-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Jason Voorhees
Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
I really like my Gerber machete. Works great.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

itsmyturn's Tacoma Gallery
cold steel ftw. got several of their knives and you cant go wrong
Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #15
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
I personally wouldn't pay for a CS machete. I'd get a 'good' one from CheaperThanDirt.
i got mine for like 3 bucks from cold steel. well worth it
Old 06-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Genuine GI issue machete with a plastic scabbard that will fit a GI Web type belt,price was resonable but its a little short if your hacking your way thru a Briar patch.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot53 View Post
i got mine for like 3 bucks from cold steel. well worth it
That's a good price. They are cheaper than I thought they were.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #18
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Back when I was looking for a Kukri style blade, I ended up getting mine from Ka-Bar. No complaints about it. Holds an edge very well and good weight and balance.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #19
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Cold steel makes really good stuff. I have the gerber machete and I like it a lot.
X2 I have three Gerber machetes and they all perform excellently.

Products Discussed in this Thread