LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Windshield Count?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
jamescamp11 is on a distinguished road

jamescamp11's Tacoma Gallery
Windshield Count?

I have always thought that I have the absolute worst luck when it comes to windshields. Owned my truck for 10 years and Im on my 5th windshield. Today I am going to see what is normal based off of your answers. How many times has that little rock on the highway smashed against your windshield hard enough to create a giant crack within 30 minutes of impact? Like I said, I am not sure if it is because us Taco owners are at the premo height for those high velocity meteors or I if am taking crazy pills.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i got a chip on mine from the highway, i'll get it replaced in the next couple years or whenever it starts to crack, whichever comes first
Old 06-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not going to jinx myself by answering a loaded question like that!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
I think I found your problem after I traced your IP address

jamescamp11
487 Gravel Lane
Seattle, WA
Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
I've been driving for 22 years, 18 of those in trucks and I've never replaced a windshield.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcBob View Post
I think I found your problem after I traced your IP address

jamescamp11
487 Gravel Lane
Seattle, WA
can you really do that? thats scary
Old 06-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #8

LOl. Im laughing at both the joke address and the fact that it went right over his head!!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Original windshield lasted two months. Back then, because the taco was a new model, the replacement windshield cost me almost 5 bills. This windshield lasted a good two years. This past October, windshield needed replaced again. Fast forward to February, during some freak windstorm, a tree limb hit the roof of the Tacoma, fell across the windshield, which shattered, and then proceeded to decorate the hood of my wife's car, parked 30 feet away, with a nice new crease. We then replaced both windshields, hers was cracked away, she likes to drive behind 18 wheelers for some reason, and the new one for the Tacoma lasted approximatley 1 week.

I am currently driving it as is, until November atleast, that's when my state insp. is due.

My luck will run out before that of course and a cop will give me a fix-it ticket.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #10

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescamp11 View Post
LOl. Im laughing at both the joke address and the fact that it went right over his head!!
yeah, alot of stuff goes over lsocoee's head, you better get use to it
Old 06-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
yeah, alot of stuff goes over lsocoee's head, you better get use to it
I told you, save it for tomorrow. I'm out of reps!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #12

(joedirt) Incredibly unlucky and would be very crappy to wake up in the morning to see all that carnage.

I definetely do not have a story like that which almost kindof validates why I am a bit touchy with this subject (touchy in a light hearted way). It always happens within a short period of time after I replace the cracked windshield. Then, if the new crack is not deemed "visually obstructive" by the ticket nazi I will continue to drive with it until my tolerance levels are drained (usually a year or two). Because of all this windshield cracking nonsense I feel like I am in a movie every time I come upon a Semi on the highway:

Camera pans to semi, then back for a close up of my face with the loud music like we are about to square off. Semi proceeds with the classic windshield cracking move of switching lanes and that single pebble resting oh so comfortably on that white stripe that splits the road is grabbed. Camera pans back to my face to show me screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOO in that deep slow motion version of my voice. "Wham!" My day/month is ruined and decide to give the Semi driver our cultural highway driving sign language. The best is that the driver has no idea what he/she did as I am flipping them off and they have that really confused look on their face like "uh, ok, that person is a D!@K."
Old 06-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescamp11 View Post
(joedirt) Incredibly unlucky and would be very crappy to wake up in the morning to see all that carnage.
The storm damage happened during the day. I went outside to burn one and saw a limb sitting on the hood of my wife's car. I went back inside, said hey, your car 's been f**ked up, and we went down to the garage so she could see the damage. While we were looking out the window, I thought to myself, I don't remember putting up a sunshade in the windshield. I went back outside and this is what I found:

And my wife's car:

Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #14

Holy SH!@#

Super funny comment about the sun shade! I am struggling to contain my laughter within my cubicle right now! I apologize and truly feel bad about your situation but you know, life throws you curveballs sometimes and all you can really do is just take it and move on. At least there was not any major body damage. Anyone else effected on your block?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Revived and BACK baby!

joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
No. Everybody else has had the sense to cut back the trees close to their driveways. I cut down two last fall, but the one that "dropped the bomb" so to speak was next to the powerline for the house and I felt mightily uncomfortable to be a 100' cherry picker that close to the line. I'm going to try to find the pictures my wife took of me in the basket.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I told you, save it for tomorrow. I'm out of reps!
ok, go ahead and feel free to rep me now...
Old 06-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #17
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
ok, go ahead and feel free to rep me now...
I got some fresh reps last night and I'm already out. I gave you one. You are now above mjp2 (for now)
Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #18

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I got some fresh reps last night and I'm already out. I gave you one. You are now above mjp2 (for now)
you must not have signed the rep. i did go up though.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #19
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
I drive on I-295 everyday. When I had my S-10 my windshield started cracking. I didn't even see the rock. I didn't replace it for over two years and yes the crack got bigger and bigger. I finally replaced it and in less than two weeks I had another crack! Well, I replaced that windshield also. I got my Tacoma and the first day I had a chip on the windshield. Lighthouse Toyota replaced it and its been clean sailing ever since!!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
Revived and BACK baby!

joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a few pictures of the cherry picker I had at the house. It was an 80' articulating boom. Artic's are nice if you have alot of obstacles to get around, I wish I had gotten a straight stick. A 120' one.

The three trees in the picture are the some of the ones I took down. The tree on the extreme right is the one that caused my windshield/body damage. I would've taken it down, but the electric for the house runs past it. Plus, it was windy, and I'm kind've afraid of heights, even more so when I have a flesh-destroying tool in my hands.

Here, the main boom is fully extended, I can only raise the basket about ten more feet, the tops of the trees are another 40' above me. A 120' would've really been helpful. That's what I get for guessing at the heights of the trees. That's a ten foot basket I'm standing in, nice for the room, but it deflects about 2-3' everytime you move. Kind've unnerving at 80', that's why a body harness is required. My safety officer did tell me, though, on a full extension at about 40-45 degrees from the pivot, if you were to fall out, your body weight would tip the lift over.