1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

California Cell Phone Law July 1

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tcBob, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jun 4, 2008 at 9:31 AM
    tcBob

tcBob [OP] Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/index.htm

FAQ

Q: When do the new wireless telephone laws take effect?
    A: The new laws take effect July 1, 2008.
    Q: What is the difference between the two laws?
    A: The first prohibits all drivers from using a handheld wireless telephone while operating a motor vehicle, (Vehicle Code (VC) §23123). Motorists 18 and over may use a "hands-free device." Drivers under the age of 18 may NOT use a wireless telephone or hands-free device while operating a motor vehicle (VC §23124).
    Q: What if I need to use my telephone during an emergency, and I do not have a "hands-free" device?
    A: The law allows a driver to use a wireless telephone to make emergency calls to a law enforcement agency, a medical provider, the fire department, or other emergency services agency.
    Q: What are the fines(s) if I’m convicted?
    A: The base fine for the FIRST offense is $20 and $50 for subsequent convictions. With the addition of penalty assessments, the fines can be more than triple the base fine amount.
    Q: Will I receive a point on my driver license if I’m convicted for a violation of the wireless telephone law?
    A: No. The violation is a reportable offense, however, DMV will not assign a violation point.
    Q: Will the conviction appear on my driving record?
    A: Yes, but the violation point will not be added.
    Q: Will there be a grace period when motorists will only get a warning?
    A: No. The law becomes effective July 1, 2008. Whether a citation is issued is always at the discretion of the officer based upon his or her determination of the most appropriate remedy for the situation.
    Q: Are passengers affected by this law?
    A: No. This law only applies to the person driving a motor vehicle.
    Q: Do these laws apply to out-of-state drivers whose home states do not have such laws?
    A: Yes.
    Q: Can I be pulled over by a law enforcement officer for using my handheld wireless telephone?
    A: Yes. A law enforcement officer can pull you over just for this infraction.
    Q: What if my phone has a push-to-talk feature, can I use that?
    A: No. The law does provide an exception for those operating a commercial motor truck or truck tractor (excluding pickups), implements of husbandry, farm vehicle or tow truck, to use a two-way radio operated by a “push-to-talk” feature. However, a push-to-talk feature attached to a hands-free ear piece or other hands-free device is acceptable.
    Q: What other exceptions are there?
    A: Operators of an authorized emergency vehicle during the course of employment are exempt, as are those motorists operating a vehicle on private property.
    Q: Are nudie magazines still allowed while driving?
    A: Yes

DRIVERS 18 AND OVER
    Drivers 18 and over will be allowed to use a "hands-free" device to talk on their wireless telephone while driving. The following FAQs apply to those motorists 18 and over.
    Q: Does the new “hands-free” law prohibit you from dialing a wireless telephone while driving or just talking on it?
    A: The new law does not prohibit dialing, but drivers are strongly urged not to dial while driving.
    Q: Will it be legal to use a Bluetooth or other earpiece?
    A: Yes, however you cannot have BOTH ears covered.
    Q: Does the new "hands-free" law allow you to use the speaker phone function of your wireless telephone while driving?
    A: Yes.
    Q: Does the new “hands-free” law allow drivers 18 and over to text message while driving?
    A: The law does not specifically prohibit that, but an officer can pull over and issue a citation to a driver of any age if, in the officer’s opinion, the driver was distracted and not operating the vehicle safely. Sending text messages while driving is unsafe at any speed and is strongly discouraged.

DRIVERS UNDER 18
    Q: Am I allowed to use my wireless telephone "hands-free?"
    A: No. Drivers under the age of 18 may not use a wireless telephone, pager, laptop or any other electronic communication or mobile services device to speak or text while driving in any manner, even "hands-free." EXCEPTION: Permitted in emergency situations to call police, fire or medical authorities (VC §23124).
    Q: Why is the law stricter for provisional drivers?
    A: Statistics show that teen drivers are more likely than older drivers to be involved in crashes because they lack driving experience and tend to take greater risks. Teen drivers are vulnerable to driving distractions such as talking with passengers, eating or drinking, and talking or texting on wireless devices, which increase the chance of getting involved in serious vehicle crashes.
    Q: Can my parents give me permission to allow me to use my wireless telephone while driving?
    A: No. The only exception is an emergency situation that requires you to call a law enforcement agency, a health care provider, the fire department or other emergency agency entity.
    Q: Does the law apply to me if I’m an emancipated minor?
    A: Yes. The restriction applies to all licensed drivers who are under the age of 18.
    Q: If I have my parent(s) or someone age 25 years or older in the car with me, may I use my wireless telephone while driving?
    A: No. You may only use your wireless telephone in an emergency situation.
    Q: Will the restriction appear on my provisional license?
    A: No.
    Q: May I use the hands-free feature while driving if my car has the feature built in?
    A: No. The law prohibits anyone under the age of 18 from using any type of wireless device while driving, except in an emergency situation.
    Q: Can a law enforcement officer stop me for using my "hands-free" device while driving?
    A: For drivers under the age of 18, this is considered a SECONDARY violation meaning that a law enforcement officer may cite you for using a "hands-free" wireless device if you were pulled over for another violation. However, the prohibition against using a handheld wireless device while driving is a PRIMARY violation for which a law enforcement officer can pull you over.

2. Jun 4, 2008 at 9:37 AM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    I can't wait till they bring these cell phone laws into effect in Canada.

3. Jun 4, 2008 at 9:46 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    So you're allowed to talk on the phone if you're whacking it while driving?

4. Jun 4, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    tcBob

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    :laugh:

5. Jun 4, 2008 at 9:54 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I just saw some woman driving her mercedes, putting on eye makeup, and talking on her phone. I wanted to swerve at her just to freak her out, but I wasn't driving.

6. Jun 4, 2008 at 10:06 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    They passed something like that where I live awhile back.

7. Jun 4, 2008 at 10:55 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

WHAT?

what the F does this have to do with cell phones while driving?

is there somewhere that outlaws nudie mags while driving?

8. Jun 4, 2008 at 10:57 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Went for the low-hanging fruit, I see. :p

9. Jun 4, 2008 at 11:00 AM
    tcBob

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    only took an hour and a half for someone to notice my addition :rolleyes:

10. Jun 4, 2008 at 11:02 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    :laugh: I saw all those "words" and I said I don't live in Cali, this doesn't apply to me. Bob, these rep filters are killing me. It keeps saying I've repped too much in the past 24 hours. How am I supposed to rep you???

11. Jun 4, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

i probably wouldve seen it earlier but folks get stupid and interrupt my web browsing and make me fill out paper work hahaha

12. Jun 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    What nudie mags do you read? No, on second thought, I don't want to know.

13. Jun 4, 2008 at 1:15 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    <rant>I can't wait for this law to come into effect. I've seen too many times where a driver was on the phone while attempting to merge with freeway traffic. Talking on the phone and only driving 45 MPH and trying merge on the fwy. just doesn't cut it. I think they should just ban cell phone usage by the driver... period. It just irks me to no end that their cell phone conversation is more important than looking out for themselves and especially other people's lives. </rant>

14. Jun 4, 2008 at 1:28 PM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor&#9734;Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    well the one who noticed it first and commented on it, but you have to realize bob that tigerfan is an officer of the law probably checking up on your handiwork:D
    P.S. tigerfan i'm just yanking your chain:cool:

15. Jun 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    New York is that already, I still see a lot of people using phones without hands free, I even saw a cop talking on one the other day.

16. Jun 4, 2008 at 3:56 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    I noticed it right away, but tigerfan got there first....lol! I just found the thread. Gives whole new meaning to "handheld device" :eek:

17. Jun 4, 2008 at 4:09 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania has a similar law like that. But - I've yet to hear or see anyone actually getting pulled over for it. Unless of course - you run a read light cuz you were yakkin' on the phone and they see it.

I'm sure this law plays a critical role in proving fault during accidents.

18. Jun 4, 2008 at 4:28 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i really wish they'd bring that law to sc!!! i get tired of seeing jackasses yapping away on their phones while driving...........you know they aint paying attention!! hell.............some of them keep on sitting at a green light too, long after the red light has changed, in their own little "yapping on the cell phone" world!!

i wish they would pass a law about how loudly people talk on their phones in public places too..........if im at the store, and someone is on their phone.......i dont need to know what their conversation is about, i dont wanna know.

19. Jun 4, 2008 at 4:57 PM
    bfriatc

bfriatc Member

Member:
    Oviedo, FL
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner TRD Sport - Black
    aftermarket Awia CD/MP3 head unit with aux input, Kicker 5.25" rear speakers, homemade cold air intake
    They need this in Orlando! Every time I see someone driving like a moron or driving 10 mph under the speed limit, sure enough the have the phone to their ear!

20. Jun 4, 2008 at 5:10 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    I have to agree as well. I hate it when the person has kids in the car too.
    Some businessman tried to run me across the yellow line because he was too busy talking on the phone to merge because his lane was about to disappear. I laid on the horn, and he had the nerve to flip ME off like I'd done something wrong. If I'd been in my old Taco, there would probably be a Beemer-shaped dent in the side of it right now because he pissed me off. I backed off though. I understand road rage better now--I really wanted to kick his butt that day. It took serious effort and deep breathing not to follow him and give him hell.

Products Discussed in

To Top