Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Built my Sleeping Platform.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Built my Sleeping Platform.

I finally got tired of just sleeping on a mat in the bed of my truck camping so I built a sleeping platform. I built it 70x42.5 inches. I used ply wood, some foam used as a mattress topper, a 2x4, some liquid nails, screws, staple gun, and some carpet from lowes. It took me about an hour to complete. I think it is going to work out just fine for all of my camping trips and it was all built for under 50 bucks. What do you guys think?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Mine's the silver one...
SilverMac is a jewel in the roughSilverMac is a jewel in the roughSilverMac is a jewel in the roughSilverMac is a jewel in the rough

SilverMac's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! How does it feel compared to an air mattress?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMac View Post
Looks good! How does it feel compared to an air mattress?
Its really not bad and its not hard to move around on like an air mattress. I have my two dogs in the back with me all the time so they would pop an air mattress.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Looks ghetto!

I mean that with all due respect, as I have a piece of plywood in my garage destined for a similar fate. Nicely executed.

Perhaps one suggestion? A strip of wood down the middle of the board; I could see the plywood sagging after a few uses.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Look like you did a good job!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Perhaps one suggestion? A strip of wood down the middle of the board; I could see the plywood sagging after a few uses.
I was thinking the same thing. Other than that it looks like it'll serve its purpose perfectly.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Plywood wouldn't sag but that OSB might , a middle support would be a good idea for the long term . Looks good though , nice job .
Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #8

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Looks ghetto!

I mean that with all due respect, as I have a piece of plywood in my garage destined for a similar fate. Nicely executed.

Its there thats what the 2x4 was used for I used small sections of it in each corner and one diagonal in the middle for the sagging reason and also for when it rains I wont get soaked. Wait for live to catch up and I upload the pic.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to put some extra padding for those moments when extra padding is wanted
Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #10

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
You may want to put some extra padding for those moments when extra padding is wanted
I hear ya, but if you have meet my GF she is not much for campng. I have gotten her out once and she hated it but is willing to go again(we are polar opposites). But I still have my sleeping bag mats to put on top of the platform.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
ScampTramp is on a distinguished road

Name: Robert
ScampTramp's Tacoma Gallery
The HIP Sleeping Platform

http://s941.photobucket.com/albums/a...ng%20platform/

I posted this on ExPo in 2010 (Easy Sleeping Platform) and last year in 1st Gen on this site (Sleeping Platform & Dog) and so far, everybody seems to like it.

Its fast, sturdy and best of all CHEAP!

Robert
Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
North Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shed

North Star's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampTramp View Post
The HIP Sleeping Platform

http://s941.photobucket.com/albums/a...ng%20platform/

I posted this on ExPo in 2010 (Easy Sleeping Platform) and last year in 1st Gen on this site (Sleeping Platform & Dog) and so far, everybody seems to like it.

Its fast, sturdy and best of all CHEAP!

Robert
Now THAT, is a pretty quality sleeping platform.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #13

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
This thread is 3 vehicles old for me.
I built mine like I did because above the wheel wells gives you hardly any sleeping room and mine cost like $20. And I still loaded my dirt bikes in mine with the topper folded and platform in. Get to where I was going, unload dirt bikes, put topper up and still be able to do you know what with the lady friend.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
brandon413757 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Desert Storm
Name: Brandon
brandon413757's Tacoma Gallery
Truck tent w/ air mattress

I'm looking to turn my tacoma into a mobile campsite as I get to spend some real time with my son over the summer. Anyone have any connects on where to get some decent used camping equipment that will work w/ my 2007 Pre runner?