Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

c++ or java programming

Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
c++ or java programming

For those who have taken these courses, which one is easier? input is appreciated!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you plan to do as they both have different applications. Are you taking it for the learning experience or to solve a problem?

I took two semesters of C++ in college and it was easy. However, I now know I dislike programming with a passion.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
I love programming, but didn't care much for C++

Java is super easy, as is C and also C#.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
What is your overall goal and application of either of these languages? That needs to be addressed first me thinks.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just for college credit. Not majoring in programming, just required for the college.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
TacticalTaco is on a distinguished road
TacticalTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Java is far easier to learn for Beginners. In Java memory management is completely handled by the Java Virtual Machine. Basically Java makes it difficult to shoot yourself in the foot, while C/C++ provides you with ample opportunities. Learning either language will teach you about Object Oriented programming and being able to program in Java or C++ are very in demand skills. Java is much higher level than C++, Java code is compiled into an intermediate format which is interpreted by the Java Virtual Machine. Whereas C++ is compiled directly into machine code. As a result in general Java programs execute much slower than C++ programs, but are much more portable.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post

This is my opinion...
Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
TacticalTaco is on a distinguished road
TacticalTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Never heard anyone say C was easy ... Kind of funny too since C++ is C with some extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post

Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
toast is on a distinguished road
toast's Tacoma Gallery
I had to simulate an OS in C in my senior year. Was like 2 or 3k lines. I wanted to kill myself.

EDIT: I'm not much for more complex procedural programming. Understandably it's fast but so incredibly time consuming when you are forced to use like 1 or 2 headers and have to write the rest by hand. Excruciating to do that.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
do w3rk!

It looks like more people are leaning towards java being easier.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #12
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTaco View Post
Java is far easier to learn for Beginners. In Java memory management is completely handled by the Java Virtual Machine. Basically Java makes it difficult to shoot yourself in the foot, while C/C++ provides you with ample opportunities. Learning either language will teach you about Object Oriented programming and being able to program in Java or C++ are very in demand skills. Java is much higher level than C++, Java code is compiled into an intermediate format which is interpreted by the Java Virtual Machine. Whereas C++ is compiled directly into machine code. As a result in general Java programs execute much slower than C++ programs, but are much more portable.
^x2!

I shot myself in the foot a few times because I would use the wrong memory address for an operation and crash my program. Pointers in C++ can be really helpful, but also make your life hell.