1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen iphone vs 3g iphone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BulletToothTony, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Jul 27, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony [OP] You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Ok so besides the obvious difference no 3g vs with 3g what are some of the pros & cons between the different iphones?

The reason im wondering is bc a guy i know is selling his old iphone w/ the 2.0 update for 150 bucks because he is getting a new 3g iphone. i just dont want to buy it and then kick myself in the ass later because it was a dumb move.

2. Jul 27, 2008 at 9:24 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    the 3g is smaller/thinner by a few mm. also has GPS, better speakers, flush mount headphone jack, and maybe something else i'm not remembering. the biggest upgrade (other than the 3g) is the free software update which the 1st gen supports.

3. Jul 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I just bought a 3g, and frankly the 3g is the biggest feature. If you're in an area with AT&T 3g coverage, web surfing and other data services are much faster. The first gens are limited to the EDGE data network. The iPhone 3g falls back to EDGE if not in an area of 3g coverage.

Practically speaking, you'll pay about $15 more per month on an equivalent low end plan for the 3g than the 1st gen.

I had strongly considered finding somebody unloading their 1st gen instead of buying the 3g myself. However, the up-front cost for the 3g is only $200. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a 1st gen myself, and considering how much it's up-front cost was, the owners have a hard time letting them go that low.

4. Jul 27, 2008 at 1:00 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Do they still lack voice-activated dialing? That was a non-starter for me with the 1st gen.

5. Jul 28, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    That is still missing. I can understand the need for it in states that have passed cell phone driving laws. However, I'm not finding the lack to be an issue. There's a 'favorites' screen accessible by double-tapping the Home button. Once I'm on the favorites screen, it's a single tap to call any of those contacts.

Products Discussed in

To Top