1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pre-collision Systems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TheMaster, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Apr 12, 2007 at 5:32 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster [OP] Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Currently found on a few vehicles from Mercedes-Benz and Lexus, these sense a collision before it happens and take action to warn the driver and maximize the safety of all the car's occupants. It detects vehicles in front and can sound an alarm and display warning lights. The system then takes preventive steps such as fully charging the brakes and air bags, closing windows, adjusting seat positions for optimal air-bag effectiveness, and activating safety-belt pretensioners. An advanced pre-collision system in the Lexus LS600h L will detect pedestrians and animals on the road as well as other vehicles. And a camera will watch if the driver is not looking ahead at potential road hazards and sound an alert to get his attention if it senses an impending collision. :smash:

2. Apr 12, 2007 at 6:17 AM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    The Volvo S80 as these features too.. I've been seeing their commercial on TV.. Pretty sweet rides!

3. Apr 12, 2007 at 7:03 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Mercedes piloted the active awareness program on their S-Series sedans beginning in 2005. They also have adaptive cruise control that uses radar to "see" vehicles in its path. As the S approaches the other vehicle the Cruise Control will slow the car down...

Sounds to me like they are making fewer excuses for idiots - "...well, I didn't know he was that close!"

Pay attention when you drive, or don't drive at all. ;)

4. Apr 12, 2007 at 8:30 AM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    we have that :) in the mercedes :) awesome feature

5. Apr 12, 2007 at 6:41 PM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    They are awesome features... but they are also computer ran... just think about what might or could happen if peoplel rely to much on those features and then oneday... hmmmmmmmmm they didn't work.. I've been in the PC world enough to know that you dont' always rely on such objects as a computer... because they can and do let you down... ahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa

6. Apr 13, 2007 at 4:26 AM
    sak3358

sak3358 Well-Known Member

Member:
    With all those features.........well......why you driving in the first place? My pre-collision feature is the left pedal (middle pedal for you without auto trans) :boink: and situational awareness.

7. Apr 13, 2007 at 5:07 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    That is what scares me about some people driving. Plus, you are right about computers. I work on a large network of automation, data, and control systems everyday. There is rarely a day goes by that something (however small) doesn't work.

I had a 93' Acura Legend V6 Auto. The computer on the tranny failed (never figured out why). I was going down the highway at 70 MPH, and it slipped down two gears. It tore up the tranny all up and down and the mounts for the engine as well. I haven't driven automatics since then until now. My wife's Rav4 is Auto. I am just fearful of the day it fails.

Exactly my point! If you have to rely on computers to keep you from doing something stupid, dangerous, or destructive, then stay off the road! Otherwise, pay attention and use caution. I would love to go a whole week without seeing an accident on the roads. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top