1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I go to the postal police?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by drjohnson36, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    drjohnson36

drjohnson36 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    Last month, I sold a bunch of textbooks on eBay. About a week after I shipped them, I received notice that one of the buyers was potentially fraudulent, and that he deleted his eBay account. I couldn't really do anything, since I had already shipped the books out.

This morning (4 weeks after shipping the books), I get an email from eBay saying the guy opened a case against me, and he claims to have not received the book. I promptly reply with a scanned copy of the receipt from the post office, and no tracking number, just proof that I sent the book via media mail. Minutes later, he closes the case, no further questions asked.

After going back to his eBay page, it showed that he went from having no feedback within the last 12 months, to having almost 30 within the past month. Originally he had about 20 positive feedback points but those were over a year ago. My guess is, I wasn't the only person he tried to dupe.

My question is, should I contact the postal police and provide them with this information? It's pretty obvious that it was a hacked eBay account, and the guy used it to try and scam a bunch of people. I wasnt affected, but he might be able to get some undeserved refunds from some other unlucky sellers.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Report him to Ebay, although it sounds like nothing really went wrong... You got your money, he apparently got the item you sent and there was no case formed. Some people just get antsy and immediately go on the offensive, maybe he just didn't wait long enough for the item to arrive. Regardless, I highly highly doubt that the Postal Police would be at all interested in Ebay shenanigans.

3. Feb 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    You got your money and he got the books... what's the problem?

4. Feb 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    drjohnson36

drjohnson36 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    I'll be contacting eBay later today. I know that he received the book. The reason I'm even asking is because he tried to scam me into giving him a refund for a book he received, and it appears he may have attempted the same with other eBay sellers, some of whom may have not saved their shipping receipts and may be forced to issue refunds.

If this guy turns out to be a scammer, then a paper trail would help the police identify him as such, wouldn't it?

5. Feb 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    I concur

6. Feb 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    a receipt doesn't matter as far as ebay and paypal are concerned. The only thing that will protect you is signed confirmation. Even a tracking number saying it was delevered won't protect you. It's complete bs, found it out the hard way after some guy tried to scam me. Now whenever i sell anything worth 100 bucks or more i ship it signed confirmation.

7. Feb 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    x2 if he closed the claim right away, i wouldn't worry about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top