1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

solar power

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by aaronatl, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Sep 7, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    aaronatl

aaronatl [OP] ©1975

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron Nrsa
    In A Big Country
    Vehicle:
    it hauls tostitos
  2. Sep 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    You'll want to do a cost-benefit analysis to see if it will pay off vs. it's typical life. For example, the cheapest, it's power output is 1.2kW. In their "How Much Electricity Will I Save?" section, they assume an annual usage of 10,656 kW per year (I'm assuming they mean kilowatt Hours). If your electric company charges on average about $0.14 per kilowatt hour, 10,656 kWh would electrical cost would run $1492. Assuming you could draw all of that power useage from the panels (might depend on how cloudy it is where you live) it would take 4 years to break-even. On their chart, they claim that you'd only get 25% energy savings on a 1.2kWh system so you're really looking at a payoff that is 4 times as long (16 years). You'll want to look into how long those panels can be expected to last too (I don't know their lifespan). Will it payoff before it dies?

Products Discussed in

To Top