Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/154996-manual-automatic-do-you-prefer-why.html)

2004TacomaSR5 05-03-2011 07:44 AM

manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

I prefer a manual because they are funner to drive and are less likely to be a victim of car theft being that most car thieves these days can't drive a stick! Also I feel more in control of my vehicle when it is manual. My Tacoma is a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, I had to do some searching to find that truck but am happy I took the time to get the one I wanted

2010nctaco 05-03-2011 07:50 AM

Used to love a manual, but got tired of it in my old ranger sitting in 5 o clock traffic.

tammikm 05-03-2011 08:06 AM

auto, the manual in the tacoma is terrible. Had one and traded it for the auto... it was lik driving a transport

Woodsy211 05-03-2011 08:17 AM

Just got rid of an 07 with and auto, now i have an 11 with the 6 speed. I like the 6sp,but no complaints with the auto either

BuckNakedBooda 05-03-2011 08:18 AM

Both my Tacoma and my Scion are manuals because my wife refuses to drive a stick...

jgwheeler17 05-03-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010nctaco (Post 3120882)
Used to love a manual, but got tired of it in my old ranger sitting in 5 o clock traffic.

that why i got my automatic. i would get tired of this Raleigh traffic with one. .. once i move back home (rural Johnston County)for good in a few years, i'll get a stick. but that will probably just be a project, play truck.

NC15TRD 05-03-2011 08:32 AM

Honestly I like them both for different reasons. I had a 5spd in my dakota before I got the auto Tacoma. I really liked the contol I had with the standard, but where I work in the winter I where heavy bibs and boots and that made it a bit of a task. The auto cures that but I really miss the manual in the summer months when heavy clothes aren't needed.

Junebug McQuinn 05-03-2011 08:32 AM

I prefer manual overall, but not the Tacomas manual transmission. I test drove it, didn't like it, and got the automatic.

ontarioyota 05-03-2011 08:35 AM

I live in the country and since my 1st gen Taco is a tiny 4 banger I love the manual!!!

Seems like the 2nd gen manuals are crappy by what I read on here.

Old yota manuals are great...I had 2 corolla wagons in the past(89&93) and the man tran was awesome!

Also had a 06 Matrix...did not like the man tran and the shifter location was horrible.

woodygg 05-03-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 (Post 3120867)
I prefer a manual because they are funner to drive and are less likely to be a victim of car theft being that most car thieves these days can't drive a stick! Also I feel more in control of my vehicle when it is manual. My Tacoma is a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, I had to do some searching to find that truck but am happy I took the time to get the one I wanted

auto anyday. it's 2011, i don't need to do the cars job.

skytower 05-03-2011 08:51 AM

I like being able to work on my truck without having to buy many expensive/specialized tools to fix it. The specialized tools I would have to buy to work on a manual trans will work on most manuals. The same cannot be said for autos.
There are less small moving parts in a manual, which makes it less likely to break.
I like directly controlling my truck, rather than indirectly. The throttle by wire irks me, but that is another subj.

Jester243 05-03-2011 08:55 AM

Automatic, it is smooth and gets better gas mpg's than the manual :D

gov875 05-03-2011 09:14 AM

i prefer a manual but i got it to tow my boat and as my daily driver. putting the boat in at the ramp with the manual just wasn't going to be enjoyable or good for it and traffic around the DC area sucks.

i'll probably get an old 1st gen stick shift at some point.

tig1 05-03-2011 09:17 AM

I like manual, in the winter I can ajust going up or down hill better.after driving an auto. it's just easier, to me anyway.

later tig1

GP3 05-03-2011 09:23 AM

It depends.

A manual is not fun when you are driving too and from work in traffic. Not one bit.

If I had a weekend car it would be a manual.

My DD will always be an auto.

hookedontronics 05-03-2011 09:28 AM

Slow tacoma, automatic

Sporty car, manual

It's not fun to drive a manual in a slow car, our trucks are not too bad but it's deffinately not thrilling. I wanted the manual but after seeing the 20 week wait time i got the auto and i am very glad i did, in hindsight i made the right choice. I think i would have been very unhappy with a manual.

Now i saw sporty car because i also have a honda s2000, they never made it in a auto but it would be soo stupid fi they did. Manual is the only way to go with that car

MAXTacoma 05-03-2011 09:28 AM

Towing a boat with an auto is much easier especially on the ramps. It would be fun every once in a while to have a manual but overall I'm lazy while driving and dont feel like shifting.

stmpjmpr 05-03-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckNakedBooda (Post 3120945)
Both my Tacoma and my Scion are manuals because my wife refuses to drive a stick...

WHAT?????arent they the same?

TacomaBuzz 05-03-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 (Post 3120867)

X2 unfortunately manuals are becoming a rare species due to all the lazy asses that would rather text/talk/eat while driving. What a shame, manuals are a lot more fun to drive, the people who drive manuals are always better drivers too.

Jo Dog 05-03-2011 09:31 AM

I prefer manual trans but I bought the auto because 16 years driving a strait shift Iwanted a auto.