1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loaned my trailer out, bad idea

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jackhart, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    jackhart

jackhart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    I have a 16' car trailer I bought new in 2008. Was going to use it to tow my Jeep to the trails, but never did. Basically sat in my backyard for 2 years gathering dust.

My father in law has a big hunting camp a few hours away, and his 20-something year old sons have been working there every summer improving it - making trails, building bridges, planting food plots for deer, that kind of thing.

Last year they asked to borrow my trailer to bring some stuff up there, atv's, lumber, equipment, supplies, etc. The trailer wasn't doing anything so I said sure, go ahead.

Well they used it, and it sat up there for the last year in the woods, despite my asking numerous times if someone could bring it back. I finally went and got it myself yesterday (3 hour drive roundtrip) and I couldn't believe what happened to it. Three lights busted, one completely ripped off the rear end. License plate ripped off the rear bracket. One of the steel bars that holds the slide-in ramps underneath the trailer is bent. The breakaway kit's cable is sliced clean in half. One of the S hooks on the chain is missing the spring clamp that holds it closed. And the worst part is the $700 weight distributing hitch- the bars are completely missing, and one of the steel mounts that bolts to the trailer to hold the bar is literally broken in half, the two pieces are sitting inside the tool box. Oh yeah, they lost the keys to that tool box as well!

I asked my brother in law what the hell happened to it, and got the old "Gee, I don't really know" story. Later I mentioned to my father in law that the boys beat the crap out of my trailer, and he didn't seem at all concerned by it nor expressed any interest in repairing it.

Now to be fair - I've hunted with my inlaws at this camp several times, and they include me in alot of activities. I shot my first deer at this camp four years ago. So I benefit from having access to the camp on a regular basis.
    So I'll probably just eat the cost of repairing my trailer myself and consider it an exchange for hunting privileges.

But it just steams me that you could treat someone else's equipment like that and not give a rat's ass if you broke it. I'm the exact opposite of that, if I borrow something of yours, I return it in better condition than I got it, if it's at all possible. In all liklihood I'm not going to be able to replace the weight distributing hitch at all, I just don't have the money. The lights are not a huge deal and I'm going to see how much to replace the breakaway kit cable. I'll probably wind up selling the trailer now anyway, just because I don't wheel anymore.

/rant over

2. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That does suck that they acted that way. Seems pretty lame even if they do let you hunt and camp up there...

3. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Seriously dude? Drop it because of hunting privileges? :facepalm: that's a lot of damage and the fact that they won't own up to it or offer to fix it is ridiculous, you can't let this one go.

4. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    That's why I don't let people borrow shit. I get asked from time to time to borrow my truck. :eek: :brianr: Last year a co-worker wanted to borrow my pressure washer. Um..............no. I've seen it too many times where people don't take care of stuff. I will however let my brother borrow stuff. I do trust him and know he'll take care of it. That just sucks man!

5. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    2010Tacoma4x4

2010Tacoma4x4 "Man Ho"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5
    Tinted windows, Bug deflector, Rain guards, Bed mat, Rear leaf TSB, Bilsteins front & rear (front set @ 1.75), 16x8 chrome Helo wheels, Toyo open country AT P265/75/R16 tires. CBI bolt on sliders. BSP color matched M1 Satoshi grill. BHLM. UWS low profile black powder coat crosover truckbox. Pioneer DVD/CD head unit - 4 channel amp - front mids & highs - 8" sub box.
    It really burns me to hear something like that. I hate when people don't respect other peoples property!! :mad:

I used to work at a shop and we had to supply our own tools. I always had the best stocked toolbox and didn't mind if someone borrowed something as long as they, 1- returned it, 2- replaced it if they lost it.
    Well some people didn't follow the rules, so I had to keep the box locked up and not let anyone use my stuff. It's a shame some ruined it for others.

6. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
  7. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Lesson learned :)

8. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    I would be PISSED.. and the in-laws woul dknow it! Dis-own them

9. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    This really sucks, fact that family members did it too. I'm with the others here that say don't let anyone borrow nothing, iv'e seen this happen all to often. I personally would make a big deal out of it, that's just me. It's your family though and you have to live with them.

10. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    Goldstar225

Goldstar225 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pre-runner SR5 4X2
    No, they were and are wrong. Family or not, if you borrow it you return it in the same or better condition. Before I bought it from him I would occassionally borrow my brother's boat. Each time I would fix something that was worn out or broken as a gesture of appreciation for the loan. When I borrowed a friends sawzall I wore out a blade and bought three to replace it.

Your in-laws didn't bring it back because they knew they had trashed it and didn't have the integrity to even tell you about it, let alone fix it.

Whether or not you continue to associate with or loan items to them is your call.

11. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    They have complete disregard for you and your belongings. If someone pulled that crap me the last thing I'd want to do is go hunting with them...I'd never associate with the assholes again (but that's just me.) Have you asked the father-inlaw or the boys why they treated you like that?

12. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    yeah F that I'd be making a deal out of it and making them pay for the damages. It sat on THEIR property for all that time.... Casper the ghost couldn't have just gone and fucked all that stuff up and taken your expensive w.d. hitch. I would definitely be making a big stink over it and some way or another someone would be paying and it sure as hell wouldn't be me.

13. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    That sucks man, i'm sorry... but as they say... no good deed goes unpunished... still they are the in-laws and it sounds like you spend a decent amount of time with them so eating the repair cost sounds like a better idea than making an issue out of it... but now you know not to loan them anything that you care about. An expesive lesson but a valuable one too. (I.E. the quality of their character)

14. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I vote you go hunting one time and treat their shit the same way yours was treated.

Rut up the trails, trash the blinds shoot the Doe's and leave them.

When they ask tell them gee I don't know.

15. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I don't let anyone borrow anything.
    I did it ONCE and it bit be big time.
    I don't trust anyone anymore.

They can be the most responsible people and stuff still happens so for sure stuff is going to break if you lend it out to someone who's irresponsible.

Very sorry to hear about this but it's not like it use to be.

16. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I would get them all together, point out whats broken and make them pool their funds to fix it.

That is one of my pet peeves, when people don't take care of things they borrow.

I always try to leave things in better condition than when I borrowed them.

I borrowed my grandfathers fishing boat for the summer this year to fish. When I returned the boat to him at the end of the summer, I vacuumed it out, cleaned the trailer and the boat, it had a new rolling tongue jack (he was using a cinder block before), a new brake light, a new tool box, and I plastic loomed all of the wiring.

17. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    jackhart

jackhart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    First off, thanks for the support, and it's a particularly difficult situation because in other ways, my inlaws are very generous people. They have done alot for my wife, and our kids, over the years - things like taken us on vacation, helped us move, bought nice gifts at the holidays, etc. I mentioned what happened to my wife, and her comment was to the effect that if they ever asked to borrow anything again, just say "no". It's sad because I'm not that kind of person, but this experience has changed that perspective probably forever.

Here's some pix of the damage:

This picture is for comparison, it's the "good" side of the weight d. hitch, notice how thick the metal is, probably 3/8"

Trailer1-1_2e9067c506ea8a12681f8ca5b1f95f6a50e3c1cd.jpg

here's the bad side. how exactly do you break this? obvious it took some serious abuse.
    Trailer2-1_d0087e277201411b4ae0ffb7c531ccc01bd82355.jpg

broken rear tail light (i taped it with rescue tape so i could drive it home without getting pulled over)
    Trailer3-1_63b21d578b93fd0034492b1c667a8182734618dd.jpg

another broken light
    Trailer4-1_15f40ffbc1edfbc879c7c8c524163f98a3a509a2.jpg

breakaway cable sliced and the wires just hanging loose
    Trailer5-1_dcc2c5a7b812a98d5912301c4682277b0af65c5e.jpg

this is a view of the rear of the trailer "before" i loaned it out, see the light under the beavertail? that's completely missing now as well
    trailer2_a77453361485e2c5671ca81d4cf53a52ce683506.jpg

On a good note, a friend of mine is interested in buying the trailer - I really have no use for it anymore - he made me a decent offer and said he'd take it as is and fix all the damage himself. So maybe this is all moot? Funny how things work out sometimes.

18. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Thats a shame, was a real nice trailer. We have property up in the mountains of vermont, from firsthand experience if you leave anything out people will trash it..maybe it wasnt your inlaws that trashed it?

19. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    you can start something i always started either cash (ie a 50 or 100 for a socket ect) wallet, car keys ect to borrow a tool, lock it up in the spot of the tool and dont return it till the tool is returned

20. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    same happened to me except when i hooked the lights up the next time i pulled it it fried my trailer wiring harness up on the truck because the wires had been crossed and cut on the trailer

Products Discussed in

To Top