1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What PSI is your pressure washer?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sunner, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dec 8, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    Sunner

Sunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I need to get a pressure washer if Im going to keep taking my truck in the mud, what PSI washer do you guys/gals have?, there is a small 1550 PSI electric washer in Sears for $100, is that a good amount? It seems impressive by the numbers but I do not know.

2. Dec 8, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    Sunner

Member:
  3. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    In my experience: Electric is only good for typical road grime. If you're taking your truck through some heavy mud, you might want to check out the air compressor powered ones. They're fairly expensive though.

Also some general knowledge for anyone else looking (not really important for you since you live in Cali). Check out heated power washers, if you plan on doing winter washing. Again, more expensive though.

4. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Sunner

Member:
    Thanks for the input man, Ill probably just pay a little extra and get a bit more powerful one

5. Dec 18, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    ILikeTacosToo

ILikeTacosToo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD Off Road
    ARB front locker, alpine nav, image dynamics i5800, Polk audio front rear and subs, TOYTEC 3 inch coilovers wiht AAL, awesomest driver ever!
    I've got a 2700 PSI washer and it is just about right. i wouldn't go below 2400 but i like to use mine for more than just getting mud off my truck. 2500 or higher with a 15 degree nozzle is good for cleaning a car but be careful when you get back to your TRD stickers if you have them. i took the 'ad' off or the 'off road' and now i drive a 'TRD Off Ro'.

Just an FYI, you will never get a car as clean with a pressure washer as you will with a good truck brush or good ol fashion soap water and sponge. but if you keep a good coat of wax on your truck it will come out looking pretty darn good and save you the 8-18 bucks you might spend at a drive through.

6. Dec 18, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    Sunner

Member:
    Thanks for the input man, I ended up getting the 1500 PSI, it blows big time, worthless, I thought 2500 psi would be over kill but Ill be getting a bigger one when I got some extra cash laying around.

7. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    tacomabud

tacomabud Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bud
    RI
    Vehicle:
    04 Black Xtra Cab
    K&N replacement, 4" Deck plate mod, Thrush Welded muffler, 2nd Gen. TRD rims, Herculinered bed, Grey wire mod, OME lift w/ 883 coils and AAL, 265/75/16 BFG A/T, AP 1.5" wheel spacers
    What nozzle are you using? Maybe try adjusting it or using a different one for the specific use.

I bought a refurbished 1750 psi pressure washer, and it works perfectly for cleaning the truck and deck. Only reason I could see using a higher PSI would be for the boat (algae and barnacles on the bottom).
    x2 with what ILikeTacosToo said! I put marks in the deck from holding the nozzle to close. I usually only use the pressure washer to get the mud off the truck, then wash it by hand.

8. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    Sunner

Member:
    Im just using the stock nozzel that came with the washer, I may look around to see if I can find a better one, that is what I was doing too, just using the presure washer to get the mud off than going over with soap but it just didnt take the mud off as fast and as well as I thought it would.

9. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    electric ones are not much better than using a hose in my experience. You want a gasser for some real pressure. I use a nice little honda gasser, 5hp motor. they are about 5-600 though, but they work amazingly

10. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    I have a 3600 psi Honda gas. I have removed pieces if trim with it by accident

11. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    If it ain't coming off with a 1500psi pressure washer it needs to come off by hand. Unless you want to start talking paint off.

I peeled the chrome off my grill with the industrial pressure washer we have for cleaning the Ambulances. If you got a slight paint chip it'll work just as good as a sand blaster for taking it down to bare metal if you're not careful.

Spray it, let it soak, spray it again, wash it with a brush, spray it a 3rd time to do it right.

Products Discussed in

To Top