1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Appliances Extended Warranties

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by deejaecee, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jan 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    deejaecee

deejaecee [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 Double Cab Sport
    I just purchased my first home and bought new washer, dryer and Fridgerator from Sears. The sales person was pressuring me to purchase the extended warranties but would of costed me over ~$700. Are the extended warranties worth it for home appliances?

2. Jan 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    I purchase them on my electronics, but not on my appliances. I have had washers and dryers, as well as refrigerators last 10+ years. Cannot say the same for my big screen TV's and gaming systems...

3. Jan 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Congrats on your first home purchase!

4. Jan 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Wow $700 seems like a lot. But in my experience, if there's a fault in an appliance or electronic device, it'll usually show up in the first year (and all those appliances should have a 1 year warranty). Consider hard drives, which have a high failure rate in the first 6 months, then that failure rate drops near zero until about year 5 before it shoots back up again.

Also, if you bought those appliances on a credit card, you might be eligible for up to 1 year of additional warranty (generally parts only) courtesy your card company. Check with Visa, MasterCard or Amex for details.

Did your house come with a home warranty? If so, the appliances will be covered under this, too, for the duration of the warranty. And home warranties cover both parts & labor.

5. Jan 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    bmc52

bmc52 .

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    San Antonio,TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4
    Stock
    I work for Best buy while going to college and they push the extended warranties because that's where they make their money from. Also credit cards. Sears makes more money from credit cards than they do from people buying things in store.

6. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    My old top load Kenmore lasted forever 15+ yrs. When I moved I had to go to a smaller washer/dryer so relunctantly sold the old set & bought new from Sears.

I did buy the sears extended warranty for my front load Kenmore washer (basically a Whirlpool) passing on all others.
    That washer gave me the most trouble ever.
    Two service calls in the first year. In the 4th year it totally died.
    Sears replaced everything for free. It was worth it for me and am not usually a warranty purchase person.

So I do not know what model you bought but the newer front load models are huge on electronics.
    Your call.

7. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm selective on warranties. Personally, I think they're a load of crap, they should sell something that works and stand behind it, not make the consumer pay lots of extra money because they're unsure of their product. I didn't get the extended warranties on appliances we just purchased from Sears (also purchased our first new house and bought a stove, mircowave, dishwasher, washer and dryer).

8. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Spitz Stang

Spitz Stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OR 4x4
    OME 885 / Dakar,5100's, 265/65-16
    If you are going to buy the warranty you need to shop that price as well as the price for the appliance. I just bought a new refrigerator and Sears wanted $368 for a 4 year warranty. I ended up buying the same refrigerator for the same price at Lowe's because the 4 year warranty was $150.

9. Jan 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    deejaecee

deejaecee [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 Double Cab Sport
    I usually dont purchase extended warranites, but its just with the washer/dryer having a computer has me thinking of buying it just in casemother board burns out. I didnt purchase the home warranty as almost everything in the home I bought new.

10. Jan 21, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    Appliances i wouldnt buy it on name brand products.

From when i worked at Sears a few years back , i would always talk to the appliances sales people. They made $5 for every Credit Card that opened and made anywhere from 15%to 36% of the cost of the warranty depending on their comission bracket

Products Discussed in

To Top