1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ScanGauge: Confused-is my mpg actually calculated and my speedo gauge is off?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Airwolf NSX, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    Airwolf NSX

Airwolf NSX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    Ok, i'm confused after reading several posts.

I have ScanGauge II and i want to know:

1) Is my MPG actually calculated correctly or is it some standard # the ECU is reporting? Meaning, we all know if we haul stuff, our MPG goes down, so does the ScanGauge actually report our correct MPG.

Example: If i don't haul, i get about 320miles on a full tank. If i haul, i get about 240miles per tank.

2) I noticed my speedometer is off? Or is it my ScanGauge that's off? When i'm traveling about 75mph, it says on my SG, that i'm traveling 79mph. The faster i travel, the more range there is between my unit and actual speed.

Example: 60mph (speedo) = 63mph (Scangague).. 70mph (speedo) = 75mph (scangauge). 80mph (speedo) = 89mph (scangauge).

I don't know which to believe.

2. Feb 7, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Not sure about the scan gauge. But the way I've checked to see if my speedometer is off is to use a gps and compare. Mines off by about 1-2 mph at 45 in town and 3-4 off when going 80 on the freeway.

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    pa blaster

pa blaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    central pa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's front & rear , Eibach springs, LR uca,Icon progressive aal
    i have the hypertech speedometer/tranny module to be put on... this is suppose to solve the speed/tire/gear problem am i correct? Does anybody know about this product?

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    sir1123

sir1123 Tacomas FTMFW!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Prerunner, Black,3.4L
    3"Ebaich with 5100 Bilstiens, K&N cai, 5% 3M Tint, Magnaflow 18", Hella 500s with 35w 3000k hid retro, 33x9.5x15 BFG A/T
    you can change your speed % on your sg to match a gps (which is pretty acurate) my sg is set at 8% on the speed setting an it matches perfect with gps and my local radar signs. for the mpg it only gets info from fill up to fill up then calculates an estimate for your inst. econ number.....my question is my odometer and the scangauge read two diff numbers....does the sg pick up that since i have a 8% speed diff. that the distance traveled is longer?

Products Discussed in

To Top