1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 TW Members Treated Like Convicted Felons

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by The Traveler, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    So before I go on, I want to say this. I have a tremendous respect for LEO's and this is NOT....I REPEAT......NOT a cop bashing thread. I just want some honest opinions on the subject.

**Mods, if this gets out of hand, feel free to lock/delete the thread**

Yesterday, myself and 2 other SoCal TW members were taking apart my hub/bearing on the driver's side to replace the wheel bearing which is going bad. We were taking Brad's truck to the shop to press out and press in the bearings, when we started being followed by a Fountain Valley PD. He was running our plates, by the looks of it, and following us without lights or any instructions. Brad tried to see if he was indeed following us by making a last minute, but safe, lane change onto the 405 northbound. The cop followed abruptly and got on the freeway with us. After 2 minutes of driving 65mph, the cop right behind us, I see a CHP flying towards us from behind code 3 with lights/sirens, etc. He gets behind the FVPD car. Then after another 30 seconds, a Westminister Dodge Charger LEO gets on the freeway and falls behind the CHP. Then another CHP comes up behind the Westminster PD. All lights are off, in a single file line behind Brad's truck.

We were completely confused as to what was going on. Brad has a clean record, and no warrants or anything like that. Then, the car right behind us turns on his lights. We pull over just passed Beach Blvd, keys on the dash, windows all down, hands on the steering wheel like he's supposed to. PA instructs him to throw the keys from the truck. We look back, they blocked off the entire northbound 5 lanes, and then I hear a chopper above us.

The 3 of us are COMPLETELY freaked out, no idea what's happening whatsoever. But we remained calm, and did exactly as they instructed. One by one, we were told to exit the truck, hands on our heads with our collars pulled up from behind, walk backwards, told to go down on our knees, and were each handcuffed and manhandled into separate cars with ABSOLUTELY NO explanation as to why. There were at least 11 officers there with guns drawn on us, crouched behind their doors as we walked backwards towards them.

After 45min - 1 hour, with INCREDIBLY tight handcuffs, my hands were both totally numb. No feeling at all. After complaining about it twice, I asked if they could be loosened and they tried to but it was 1 click and no help there.

20 minutes later, a supervisor opened the door of the car, and asked if I wanted to know what was going on. I obviously said yes. Their story is that Brad's plates and vehicle description are an exact match for a robbery in 2012 in LA. There was no arrest made, and we were being detained. He said he's going to take the cuffs off me and give me and the other guys a ride back to Brad's, but they're towing his truck to LA to be impounded. The detective on that case is on vacation this week, and was not able to come down to look at the vehicle.

The crime in question may have been reported by a security guard that saw Brad's truck in the area that night and linked it to a robbery in the area. The case is VERY vague, nobody had a straight answer for us. They took all our information, and said they probably will not contact me or Ryan, but Brad needs to call some number to inquire on the case and how to get his truck back later this week.

So Brad is without his truck, the three of us have bruises on our wrists, and were held at gunpoint on the 405 freeway all because of a robbery that he is NOT being charged with. My wrists are killing me today, and they're both swollen and have red marks all over them. I've never been in any kind of trouble, so needless to say this is the first time I was cuffed.......by a male at least ;)

Is this standard procedure? Can I file some kind of a complaint? I was treated like a damn criminal on the busiest freeway in SoCal and detained for over 1 hour with NO answer to why I had cuffs on, why Brad's truck is being searched, and why ANY of this was happening. After talking to Brad and Ryan, neither of them had any answers from FVPD, Westminster PD, or CHP until we were on the drive home in the supervisor's cruiser.

Thanks.

pic of us on the way home.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    jamtoz

jamtoz frog

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    trd sport DCLB 4x4 2014
    Duratracs, SCS sr8's, debadged
  3. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    Damn son.

4. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
  5. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Wow, some extra unwanted fun that rates a zero on the fun scale.

If I understand the post, I guess the reason is clear...if the tags AND truck were I.D.ed. Sucks if was an error... How well do you know your buddies?

6. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Holly shit thats crazy. I hope it dont cost too much to get your friends truck back. Good luck

7. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    XPOTRON

XPOTRON Is LIVE on the GRID.

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    IG: @ST3F3NS
    DUROBUMPS Use TRON10 for 10% Off & Free Shipping
    damn. idk ill do some research but it aint my field of work. seems very odd.

8. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    paul064

paul064 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 4runner SR5 4WD
    I think that with the info the officers had, they conducted a felony traffic stop correctly. Although, I would not like to be on the other end of the barrell. I can see why you are a little pissed, but I wouldn't bother trying to file a complaint. I don't live or work in CA, but that dosen't sound too much different than how that same scenario would go here in FL. It sounds like they acted within their policies and procedures even though it ruined your day.

9. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Brad is 100% in the clear. He's a 22 year old Afghanistan Veteran with a legitimate job and also in college, and he happens to be my best friend. He has done NOTHING wrong. Many members in SoCal know him well, and can vouch for that. He has been in that area before, but not to commit any crimes.

They better not charge him to get the truck back. That would total BULLSHIT. Poor guy has to have his gf drive him around until he gets the truck back.

10. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    adanfon

adanfon YNWA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adán
    Hanford, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
  11. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Given recent event's, I'd say you're lucky they didn't fill the truck with holes!
    I'd be happy with sore wrists given that alternative :cookiemonster:

12. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    The actual story.....they though you were Chris Dorner, who is still at large.

13. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    XPOTRON

XPOTRON Is LIVE on the GRID.

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    IG: @ST3F3NS
    DUROBUMPS Use TRON10 for 10% Off & Free Shipping
    X2 felony stops are never fun being on the wrong side of one, but from what you said it seems like they followed procedure. sucks they kept the truck tho. There shouldnt be any impound fees charged to your friend if theres nothing on the truck

14. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    Gabassman

Gabassman Drive it like a 4WD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
  15. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    lol, I was about to say something like that.

16. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    fuck that, file a complaint. The worst that can happen is that...nothing happens. What have you got to lose?

Secondly, Brad should be fully compensated for the arrest and the impound of his truck after this little incident. Let us know how it goes. If he has to pay a cent for this I would be furious.

17. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Right on, that sux...given the exact tag/truck match I understand it but, man to grab the wrong cat mskes one questions the source of the info.

As it sounds, the coppers were acting on what was thought to be legit info so I doubt I'd pursue a complaint.

Best of luck to all involved...keep us posted.

18. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    What does he have to loose? Time, patience, sanity. Nobody's gonna give two shits about his wrists given the circumstances. He was cuffed, not kicked in the balls.

He won't have to pay anything if it's wrongfully impounded...and nobody got arrested. Sheesh....speed read much?

19. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Thug life

20. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Ever get that drivers side wheel bearing fixed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top