Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone here own a classic Z car? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/271204-anyone-here-own-classic-z-car.html)

SingleCabGuy 04-01-2013 09:38 PM

Anyone here own a classic Z car?
 
Soo ive been on alot of forums(supramania,3si, houston-imports, Zcar motoring, etc) and none can even touch the awesomeness that TW has lol.

So reason i started this thread is to see if anyone on here has a Z car. I bought a 1974 datsun 260z a few months ago and have already done a lot of work on it.
I was hoping there might be a few informative and helpful members on here that could help me troubleshoot and diagnose problems as well as repairs.

Summed up story;
Bought the car in houston. Drove it 100miles home. Clutch goes out as i take exit to my town. Install new clutch master and slave cylinders. Still doesnt fix it. Order new Centerforce stage 2 clutch. Install clutch along with a used 5spd that came with car in replacement of the factory 4 spd. Drive the car for 2 weeks(about 300 miles) and come to stop light in town. Cute girl next to me at red light looks and smiles. I rev engine. She smiles more and giggles a little. Light turns green. She leaves. And i have no clutch again. About to drop the transmission AGAIN :shootme: but i was wondering if anyone would have any idea what went wrong this time.
The car will go into gear while off FWIW.

VolcomTacoma2011 04-01-2013 09:41 PM

My good buddy just got T-boned in his baby, '89 300zx(I think). He was pretty heartbroken about it, that was a badass car

GREEKBOY12295 04-01-2013 09:44 PM

Yeah a guy on our AZ forums has one. Ive been to his house and that Z he has is sick. It has a 327 in it, but isnt in proper running condition.

steve o 77 04-01-2013 09:47 PM

Is there fluid in the reservoir? Sounds like a leak somewhere either leaking the fluid out, or letting air in.

SingleCabGuy 04-01-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 (Post 6680188)
Yeah a guy on our AZ forums has one. Ive been to his house and that Z he has is sick. It has a 327 in it, but isnt in proper running condition.

Wouldnt mind talking with him! Wonder why he went with a 327 and what kinda issues hes having

SingleCabGuy 04-01-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve o 77 (Post 6680203)
Is there fluid in the reservoir? Sounds like a leak somewhere either leaking the fluid out, or letting air in.

Nope. Bled it by foot till had a steady flow. Then pulled air with a vaccuum from the slave bleeder. Still didnt work. Then used a syringe and pushed all the air out too. Still didnt work.
Thinking maybe cause i didnt baby it during the 500 mile break in period, it messed something up?

steve o 77 04-01-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy (Post 6680224)
Nope. Bled it by foot till had a steady flow. Then pulled air with a vaccuum from the slave bleeder. Still didnt work. Then used a syringe and pushed all the air out too. Still didnt work.
Thinking maybe cause i didnt baby it during the 500 mile break in period, it messed something up?

no this is strictly hydraulic. The "break in" is for the disc and PP/flywheel. Sounds like you need to bleed it better. Have you tried bench bleeding it?
Not sure if that's possible with those but on my T56 I was able to unbolt the slave and pump the shaft about 10 times and I had a perfect clutch feel.

GuyWithCamera 04-01-2013 09:59 PM

I love old Z cars. The perfect example of a obtainable classic japanese sports car.

all my want
http://image.importtuner.com/f/featu...front_view.jpg

One of my really good friends has a 93 300ZX sitting in his garage, The block curiously has a hole in it so he's rebuilding it at the moment using a 300ZX TT motor (and turbos) for parts (somethings wrong with the TT motor, bent rod i think?).

SingleCabGuy 04-01-2013 10:01 PM

The slave is very easily accessible and is only held on by 2 bolts.
Im so frustrated with it idk what else to do besides drop the trans. I had a friend steadily pour fluid into the master cylinder while i opened the bleeder on the slave until fluid was flowing out of the slave nonstop. Closed the bleeder. Had friend pump pedal 15 times, held it down, open bleeder, fluid shoots out, close bleeder, release clutch pedal, repeat 10 times..


Aaaaannnd still nothing.

And im still confused to why it just happened at a red light when i revved it. Possible bolts back out of the pressure plate or something? Im pretty mechanically inclined but the lil tedious stuff like getting clutch to release is extremely exhausting and frustrating

SingleCabGuy 04-01-2013 10:05 PM

7 Attachment(s)
And pics of the Racecar lol Attachment 204685Attachment 204686Attachment 204688Attachment 204689Attachment 204690Attachment 204691Attachment 204692

steve o 77 04-01-2013 10:05 PM

Still sounds like a bleeding issue to me. Lots of times the conventional method you used doesn't work. I'd try simply unbolting the slave and pumping it manually (I did it by pushing it down against the ground) with the MC cap off. Have a buddy look for bubbles in the reservoir.

steve o 77 04-01-2013 10:07 PM

Oh also, if the PP bolts were in fact backing out, you would have a slipping issue, not a "cant get it into gear" problem.

SingleCabGuy 04-01-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve o 77 (Post 6680323)
Oh also, if the PP bolts were in fact backing out, you would have a slipping issue, not a "cant get it into gear" problem.

Well i forgot that i can pump the slave by hand without unbolting it. I just have to push the fork that the slave pushrod sits in/against and itll pump. Im just flabbergasted as to where the air is getting in or how it still has air in it.

PerfectTekniq 04-01-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve o 77 (Post 6680323)
Oh also, if the PP bolts were in fact backing out, you would have a slipping issue, not a "cant get it into gear" problem.

This.

...First car was a Z. Bought it for $1000 with a mangled front end but it was the TT. TT didn't last long though. So swapped in a NA. Highschool days.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...a_640x272_.jpg

steve o 77 04-01-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy (Post 6680343)
Well i forgot that i can pump the slave by hand without unbolting it. I just have to push the fork that the slave pushrod sits in/against and itll pump. Im just flabbergasted as to where the air is getting in or how it still has air in it.

You should see some of the things people have to do to get the LS1 T56 clutches bled due to the internal slave. It's crazy how air can get trapped in the system and is impossible to get out without very specialized techniques. Luckily I have the old LT1 style, much better :laugh:

GREEKBOY12295 04-01-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy (Post 6680210)
Wouldnt mind talking with him! Wonder why he went with a 327 and what kinda issues hes having

It is Kyouto42 (Jake). He just doesnt really have time to fix it. It runs but needs new suspension and engine stuff. Im not really sure what is wrong with it though.

SingleCabGuy 04-01-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve o 77 (Post 6680350)
You should see some of the things people have to do to get the LS1 T56 clutches bled due to the internal slave. It's crazy how air can get trapped in the system and is impossible to get out without very specialized techniques. Luckily I have the old LT1 style, much better :laugh:

So should i tow it to a trans shop and ask them if they can get all the air out or test it or something? Ive been driving and working on my cars for like 5 years now and this would be my first time taking a vehicle to the shop :(

steve o 77 04-01-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy (Post 6680357)
So should i tow it to a trans shop and ask them if they can get all the air out or test it or something? Ive been driving and working on my cars for like 5 years now and this would be my first time taking a vehicle to the shop :(

Nope try pumping that clutch fork first.

SingleCabGuy 04-01-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerfectTekniq (Post 6680348)
This.

...First car was a Z. Bought it for $1000 with a mangled front end but it was the TT. TT didn't last long though. So swapped in a NA. Highschool days.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...a_640x272_.jpg

I really would love to pick up a 300zx TT for a summer car one day but the price for them is through the roof right now.
Have always loved those and debated between getting a 300zx TT or a 99 mitsubishi 3000gt VR4. Ones meant to look like a ferrari, the other a lambo lol

PerfectTekniq 04-01-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy (Post 6680371)
I really would love to pick up a 300zx TT for a summer car one day but the price for them is through the roof right now.
Have always loved those and debated between getting a 300zx TT or a 99 mitsubishi 3000gt VR4. Ones meant to look like a ferrari, the other a lambo lol


Not sure if I was just new at it but I really hated working on the Z. The engine bay seemed so small compared to any other car I've ever worked on.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 AM.