1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying An Out of State Car (Private Party)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by littleblue81, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Apr 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    littleblue81

littleblue81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can anyone offer any advise on an easy/safe way to purchase an out of state used car?

I'm looking at a car out of state and I won't be able to pick it up personally. I've spoken to a credit union and they said they would distribute checks to seller, seller's lien-holder etc. However, they said they don't do any escrow type stuff (PenFed is who I've been talking to). Any simple procedure to make sure that the seller get's their money and I get my car w/o risk?

Seller has already agreed to pay for pre-purchase inspection and I am to pay for shipping.

Any advise is appreciated.

2. Apr 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    C O R E

C O R E Christian Off Road Engineering

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4x4 5spd v6
    Line-X bedliner, bedlined toolbox, Satoshi Grille, bedlined stock old school wheels, Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS head unit, Deck plate mod, ISR mod, K&N Drop-in, Thrush muffler dumped @ rear axle, Grey wire mod, +5mph fender stripes
    Use a reputable carrier don't be afraid of spending more. Don't offer to use PayPal to pay because of the lack of vehicle purchase protection no matter how much they claim to have I almost got scammed selling a vehicle on eBay. Get a bill of sale until you receive the title would be great if it was notarized but you can't both be there to sign... make sure you know who is responsible for vehicle damage during shipping. Find a carrier with damage insurance. That's all I can think of

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    matadorCE

matadorCE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Prerunner Accesscab TRD Offroad
    Be aware that PenFed issues a two-party check, or at least they did for me when using them to buy my Tacoma from a private seller. This means that you AND the buyer have to sign the check, and some banks may want both of you present whenever the buyer deposits the check at the bank.

Honestly the best way to do it is to take care of this in person, and then loading the car on a hauler or driving it back yourself to get it back home. I was very disappointed with PenFeds costumer service, so make sure you ask them a lot of questions to get things crystal clear before you attempt to do this.

4. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    If its within a day or so drive I'd fly there and drive back???? That's me tho...

5. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Thats good advice.

6. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Send the guy all your money in a brown paper bag stapled shut at the top. Throw in a dye pack so he knows you mean business.

7. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
    I bought my truck out of state, and financed it through my bank (USAA). After I negotiated a deal with the seller, my bank sent his bank (lien holder) one check for the agreed upon amount, and any money left over after paying off his loan, the sellers bank would then give to the seller.

Then I bought a one way ticket, flew out and drove it home.

I think this was best, to have your bank send the check to his bank, or lien holder. If you give the seller a check, and he does not pay off his loan (if he still has one) then 'your' new car can be repossed by his bank.

EDIT: OP, there is always risk when doing an out of state transaction, so you will just have to trust your gut on it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  8. Apr 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    littleblue81

Member:
    Thanks. I've asked PenFed a bunch of questions, they will also issue two checks, one to the lien holder and the remainder to the seller.

It's about a 36 hour drive and unfortunately my free time is very limited..and I hate flying :)

Sounds like not much I can do but trust the loan companies match the lien/title with the truck/seller and ask for copy of ID and put faith in it.

9. Apr 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    How are you dealing with tag transfers? Every time I sold a vehicle to an out of stater they had to make 2 trips. Atleast here in PA the banks dont send out the title until car is paid off, then PennDOT will let you do the transfer paperwork.

10. Apr 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    jesus

jesus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jesus
    bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    K&N ram intake & doug exs.
    ya could pay for my round trip and I'll go get it for you...;p;...lol but on the real maybe theres a member near by that can check it out for you... just a thought...

11. Apr 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM
    littleblue81

Member:
    Yea, I believe the lien holder will release title to my lien holder once check is received.

The seller is a member, which makes me feel a little better.

12. Apr 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    matadorCE

matadorCE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Prerunner Accesscab TRD Offroad
    Good luck and I hope PedFed treats you a lot better than they did me. They lost or never sent out the first check, then they made me wait two damn weeks to issue another one even though it was their fault the first check never got to me. I had the seller waiting for a solid month until the check finally came, but luckily the guy was understanding.

Products Discussed in

To Top