1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When turning left onto a 4 lane road...which lane

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Veccster, May 21, 2009.

?

Which lane do you turn left into?

1. Right lane (closest to the outer shoulder)

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Left lane (closest to the median or barrier)

106 vote(s)
    91.4%
  1. May 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    When you are at a 4-way traffic light and you are turning left, do you turn into the left or right lane?

I know which you SHOULD do but which DO YOU DO?

2. May 21, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    tc2008

tc2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garden Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue
    8000K HID light, LED map and dome light, cluster + AC blue, Camburg 2.5 front and rear, Deaver 10 Packs. Satoshi Grille, Eyelids, Carbon fiber hood w/ scoop, BHLM, 285/75/16 km2s, KMC enduros
    if you are on lane 1 in the turning zone you should keep on lane 1 after you made the left turn (counting from left to right).

3. May 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    HAHA im glad the most lanes per roads we have here is 2.

4. May 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    such a pet peeve of mine. I hate that people have no clue how traffic works. The same people who turn into the right lane will tell you that they are excellent drivers because they have never got in a wreck.

5. May 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    My problem is that when I have my perceived "right a- way" making the left turn (I got a green arrow) the guy trying to make a right turn at the red light thinks he can squeeze in at the same time and use that right lane. He is in the wrong correct?

Cause I'm going to plow into one of these idiots sometime and need to go to court

6. May 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    18-0 for the correct answer...yet I NEVER see people doing it correctly. It always bothers me because it blocks people on the other side from turning right onto the road. Then it slows everyone down and less people get through the light (ripple effect).

7. May 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    No...that is why you turn into the left lane (so he can use the right lane). Cut the inside corner close and stay in the left lane. Those on the other side (makeing right turns) cut the corner and stay in the right lane.

8. May 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge

If you are at the light you have to yield to traffic coming at you correct, cause I have the arrow. If I'm towing a boat/trailer etc i need that right lane...and most of the time the guy is thinking i can make it...who knows for sure?

9. May 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This is a common thought- "I have right of way so I can do whatever I please" Simple self preservation/desire to not fuck up your ride would dictate you NOT go for the right lane and there by leave it open for the folks making the right on red.

There is an intersection right near my place that has this issue 24x7....Aggravates me to no end. Folks coming out for that right turn and I'm trying to make the left and they are all over the road too.

10. May 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior

I voted that the left (inside) lane was correct, but if I got the green arrow and you have a red light (yield to traffic on your left) I got the right-away.

But where are the traffic cops here?

11. May 21, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd agree you do have the right of way...for one lane. You have to cross the left "lane" in the intersection...Right of way doesn't cover you to drive where ever you want...It covers you to drive thru your lane.

Obviously you do the right thing...so it's not a huge deal.

12. May 21, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior

Where's a Cop when you need one?

13. May 21, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    OKay...so I'm no cop- but my google fu is a strong.

I read that to mean you have to yield your RoW to the legal right turn on red traffic, effectively requiring you to leave the right lane clear for them as you take the left. Being that traffic lights are pretty common...I'm going to guess that most states have a fairly similar law.

14. May 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    while understanding there are circumstances with no "no turn on red" sign present the person making a right has right of way to the right lane.

from the Pendot Drivers handbook:

LEFT AND RIGHT TURNS​
    On two-lane, two-way streets or highways, make left turns from as
    close to the center line as possible. Make right turns from as close to
    the right edge of the roadway as possible.
    To turn left on multi-lane streets and highways, start from the left lane.
    If you are turning right, start from the right lane. If you are turning onto
    a highway, which has more than one (1) lane in the direction you wish
    to travel, turn into the closest lane going in that direction. Turn into the
    left lane when making a left turn, and turn into the right lane when making a right turn. If you want to change to​
    another lane, wait until after you have safely completed your turn.

15. May 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    BlueNorthToyo

BlueNorthToyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DBL Cab, TRD, SR5 & Tow Package, 3" Lift
    3" Revtek lift, Access Laredo Tonneau Cover (awaiting delivery), Debagged Tailgate, Pop and Lock Tail Gate Lock (awaiting delivery), Grom I-pod hardwire, Chrome Side Step Bars, Hood Deflector, Window Vents, 15" Stubby Antenna, GE NIghthawk Headlights, Fog Light Mod, Hose Clamp Tailgat
    Yeah everyone like to say that they would take the left lane/median lane but LOTS of people still don't do it. Not saying anyone here does that but I have even seen cops pull this shit right in front of me and think that it is fine. I think that the cops have given up with trying to catch people doing minor traffic offenses up here and have joined them (Can't beat um join um attitude).

This town is a little unique I think in that there are a lot of guys, and girls, with LOTS of disposible income to throw at their toys. The whole town is one big pissing contest. You would not believe the amout of 1 tonne trucks with 40" tires and insane lifts, not to mention the "smoke stacks" coming up through the bed (ala transport truck style).

The final part of my rant here is on a round-about that we have here. There are 4 exits/entrances and only one lane in this round-about. Common sense tells you that you have to yield to the vehicle to your left (the one who is gonna smoke you if you pull out). It is unbelievable how many people have NO CLUE how to use this. Some people don't even slow down as they approach the entrance and think they own the road (TAXI Drivers!!grrrr) and on the other extreme those who will stand on the break and wait until there are no cars in the thing at all.

I thank god every day that my parents put me through a defensive driving course when I was in high school. I use it EVERY day!

Thanks for letting me vent!

16. May 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't know, you might be reading into that too much, where is the mention of the left lane, right lane thing... I'll wait for a Legal perspective (just play'en devils ad)

Round-a-bouts are nothing but fugged up sign islands that suck, WHOLE different bitch about them

17. May 21, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    That's why I posted it....It's tough to interpret law.

18. May 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That depends :p

If there are two lanes designated to turn left, then you STAY IN YOUR LANE when turning. DUH....

I know exactly what you mean and there's one intersection here in town that's notorious for people crossing over into your lane. Sometimes I'll go to that intersection on purpose, just so I can blow the cobwebs out of my horn. :D I'll lay it on !!!

19. May 21, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Round-a-bouts (or I call them Traffic Circles) are simple if you've been trained on how to use 'em. I remember when I was 16, our drivers Ed class consisted of a trip in & around the traffic circle every time we had class.

People just don't pay attention. They don't pay attention to what's behind, infront, or aside of them. No concept of what a 'blind spot' is or what could be lurking there. No concept of how to be safe. No concept of thinking & processing information to make decisions before you need to.

20. May 21, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I always turn into the nearest left lane.

I believe when you have the green left-turn arrow and opposing traffic wants to make a right-hand turn, they STILL have to yield to you even if you're a jackass and turn into the wrong lane. The way I learned it, turning on red is normally legal, but you give up the right-of-way to anybody with a green. Also, you generally give the RoW to people in the intersection.

I'm not one of those, "I have the right of way, I'm gonna do what I want people," but if I do have the right of way and you do something stupid, you'll hear about it from me. My wife things I cut things too close (when people push yellows into red and I start driving at them), but I'm not going to do anything to hurt myself or my truck. Obeying the law is important, of course, but my own self-preservation is even more important.

I didn't learn until recently (when I drove in a downtown setting more regularly) that you can legally make a LEFT turn on red... if you're going from a one-way street to another one-way street. I guess you learn some things only when you need to know them.

Products Discussed in

To Top