1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you tip furniture/appliance delivery guys?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by z33tec, Dec 29, 2009.

?

Do you tip furniture/appliance delivery guys?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2010.
  1. Yes.

27.7%
  2. Only if there was no delivery charge from the store.

21.5%
  3. No.

50.8%
  1. Dec 29, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    z33tec

z33tec [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    The sonic thread made me think of this as I recently heard that you are supposed to tip these guys. I heard on the radio that they don't get paid much and it is a pretty tough job.

Although I would tend to agree, I would probably not tip them if the store already charged me a delivery fee. I recently got a refridgerator delivered from Home Depot and since it was free delivery, I tipped the guys (gave them a $20, so $10 bucks each.) They did a great job and it was a tight squeeze to get the new one in and the old one out. It was right before Christmas too and I was in the spirit.

2. Dec 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i tip furniture delivery people.....cause i used to do it myself, and i know it can be a pita job and the pay certainly isnt great.

3. Dec 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    Yota1

Yota1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Basically if it isn't something like a drop and go, and it requires extra time and grunt, then yes they deserve a tip. I feel that - only tip when they have gone a bit above what was agreed on. Even in resturants, you still have to work for a tip from me.

I work in the trades, and am occasionally given a tip, while it is a great gesture, I never expect it.

4. Dec 29, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I tip. It just feels like the right thing to do. Those guys don't see any of the extra delivery fees a store may charge. I had two big items delivered recently and one was a huge refrigerator and the other was a couch that had to go upstairs and around a corner and into a bedroom. I was pleased with both deliveries so I tipped and it was good to see those guys happy when I gave them some money.

5. Dec 29, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I will offer them money and beer........................been in their shoes long time ago

6. Dec 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    MenaceAllen

MenaceAllen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Fargo, ND
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White TRD Sport
    Alpine W505 Deck, GPS, WeatherTech Mats, Vent Visors, 18" KMC Monsters w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers, 20% Tint, Bed Mat, Eibach Coils, Blistein 5100's, Rear 1.5" AAL, Lorado Access Cover, TREX Angry Eyelids, AstroStart, 6k H.I.D's
    Most definately, if you have ever worked this type of job you know it isn't glamorous by any means. People I know tip a bartender a buck for every beer they get, why not give a tip to someone lifting 100+ pounds and not damaging your house.

7. Dec 29, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    definitely!!!

tipping a bartender good works in your favor as well....alot of times, they'll hook you up when ya come in.

8. Dec 29, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Heck yeah I do!!! Just because they are getting paid doesnt mean you dont have to tip them out of generosity. Its like people that dont tip servers at restaurants!!! That crap pisses me off!!!!:rant: Yeah you do get a horrible one every once in a while but I know a handeful of servers that are great!!! Yet, some people still dont leave them tip!!!:mad: I look at it like this, whatever goes around, comes around!!!:cool:

9. Dec 29, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
  10. Dec 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM
    Slotback

Slotback Triple Option

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    Yes. The least I can do is ensure that they get lunch or a post work 6 pack.

11. Dec 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    RC51

RC51 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    NC.
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner DC.
    YES, I install cubicles and office furniture and yes it sucks. So tip big if you see me.

12. Dec 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Generally no. My policy is that if you do not want to work a shitty job, you should take steps so that you don't have to. I don't tip the people working at Office Depot, the people at McDonald's, or my Wal-Mart cashier either. If you're paid hourly minimum wage or above, it's not a tipped position.

13. Dec 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yup- If they have to put in any sort of work beyond off the truck into the house then they'll get a little something.
    Movers totally get tipped.
    It's not a matter of generosity- It's a matter of these folks come in your house and move stuff around for you. If everyone treats them shitty because they have a shitty job in a service industry- Guess what...They are likely to be shitty service people. I'd rather drop a little bit of cash to build up a little good will...Either for me or for the next guy.

14. Dec 29, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    No - i used to work at a furniture store and our guys were told not to accept tips from customers. instead they encouraged the customer to call the store and personally tell the manager that the guys had done a great job. usually that worked in their favor, the owners would get gift certificates for restaurants, etc to give out to the outstanding employees.

15. Dec 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Yeah...and I paid for that.

I don't treat them shitty. I just don't tip. I do thank them and tell them to have a good day.

Let's inverse your postulate: Where do you stop tipping? If you tip your furniture delivery guy but not your dentist, what if your dentist is unhappy? It's not easy rooting around in your smelly mouth all day y'know :p

16. Dec 29, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    in this day and age.....a job is a job........no matter it be a walmart greeter, a furniture delivery guy, or a neurosurgeon. as for tipping furniture delivery people...look at it this way....they are delivery people...not "set the shit up in your house people".......so they could leave all your stuff in your yard and leave. not picking an argument...but tipping someone like that as opposed to not tipping a dentist is a whole different thing.

17. Dec 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    I tip everyone that delievers to me house

18. Dec 29, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Exactly. I tip waitstaff and other persons that are NOT paid minimum wage or more hourly because those tips are supposed to make up the portion of their income that is not guaranteed...and I tip generously to those particular servicepersons, because a lot of people don't.

Actually, it sort of does. It's understood that delivery means "in your house". It doesn't necessarily mean they have to set anything up. Technically, they could leave the shit on your lawn and leave. And how many appliance/furniture retailers would stay in business with that as a standard practice? And logically extending that, how many appliance/furniture deliverypersons would remain employed?

If the furniture people leave my new couch on the lawn and leave, I'm not buying from them again. In fact, I'm probably returning the shit and buying from somewhere else with the express agreement that my stuff will be delivered into my home. That's just capitalism. Furniture/appliance companies have had all these same thoughts, which is why tipping delivery guys is debatable and why your new washer gets trucked into your home and often hooked up upon delivery. It's just part of selling that product. If you (or anyone) doesn't want to deliver and set up without receiving a tip, they'll hire someone who will - college students, high schoolers, illegals...whoever. The service level may not be the same, but that's not a concern for the owner/shareholders/bean counters - maximizing profit is.

Explain how? Both are employed to perform a service. One happens to be physical labor, the other doesn't. Why does the more physical job merit a tip? Because it is unpleasant or hard? By that logic, janitors should be raking in tips, as should farmers.

I'm not picking a fight either, I'm just genuinely curious as to the reasoning behind this position?

Postal Service?

19. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Maybe you did pay for it...Maybe you didn't...You paid for the stuff to show up in one piece. Having it brought in, unboxed, moved into the right spot with a smile is a little extra.
    You may not treat them shitty- but lots of folks take the "no tipping" thing to the extreme and treat them like dirt.

Doctors get treated pretty well in most cases and paid well in every case I know of...and they can be sued for screwing up. Plus they DON'T COME INTO MY HOUSE. That's really the part that I care about. If they are near my stuff, around my kid, working with my belongings...It's worth the extra 10 bucks to me.

20. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    because its all MY opinion. i'll tip someone who brings heavy ass furniture into my home for me...as i dont have to do it myself. im not gonna tip a dentist to look in my mouth for a few minutes and tell me everything looks ok...and he really doesnt do anything. just my point of view.

besides....i dont really see any dentists/doctors who live paycheck to paycheck.;)

Products Discussed in

To Top